NEWS Ben Ikin puts his **** on the block

Ikin loves a spreadsheet. Loves 'em good. He used to do a league podcast with fox a few years ago and the cohosts would often mention the spreadsheets he puts together. Iirc he talked a lot about value, not just in the sense of how many dollars a player was on but what they brought to the role - did they enhance the players around them, that sort of thing.
The fact he said he had been doing them in preparation for his pending interview with the Broncos though I thought was just gold.

that's no guarantee ... Ikin won't have the power to make that decision unilaterally ... it will be a board decision.

he has even stated to day that he isn't sure Seibold is the problem until he get's inside the organisation to find out what's going on

Ikin has been criticizing Seibold on Fox for a while now. The board will be fully aware of Ikin's stance, they wouldn't hire him if they want Seibold to stay on as coach.

Ikin has been criticizing Seibold on Fox for a while now. The board will be fully aware of Ikin's stance, they wouldn't hire him if they want Seibold to stay on as coach.

then it seems he changed his stance yesterday when he officially applied for the role. Ikin will get a vote, but can not make the decision unilaterally because he doesn't have that power

Honestly if the board still want to keep Seibold on I would be without words. There's just no combination of ridiculously over the top words that could express how aghast I'd be in that situation.

Going by his comments of our recruitment and retention being “disgusting” I would assume he’s not a fan.

My dick went hard when he blurted that out.

That and when Kent asked him how hard he would push for Cameron Smith, Ikin replied “Hard... Very Hard”

Was better than Seibold’s diplomatic “Would he add something to us? Could he add something to us?Of course he could” Was probably worried Cam would do his coaching job for him and be better at it.

Also Ikin was bang on about TPJ too when he said he would have shopped him around last year because of the lack of value we are getting from him

Last edited:
I'm very mixed on Ikin.

On one hand, he was the first person to raise the Broncos roster management heading into the 2017 season and the impact that was going to have on the club. In that regard, he isn't some johnny come lately, he's just been banging the same drum now for four years, so at least he has his fingers on the pulse.

On the other, I thought some of his articles he penned during lockdown were very ordinary and while not disgraceful they didn't seem well thought out. Player welfare is extremely important and if he has a black and white view it's not going to make this a very inviting club.

Honestly if the board still want to keep Seibold on I would be without words. There's just no combination of ridiculously over the top words that could express how aghast I'd be in that situation.
Even Seibold would know he’s gone.

then it seems he changed his stance yesterday when he officially applied for the role. Ikin will get a vote, but can not make the decision unilaterally because he doesn't have that power
But who in their right mind would vote for or advocate for Pies to remain

my one remaining concern is that should Seibold get sacked, the Ikin would be able to convince the board to give his good mate Paul Green a job, (probably would be easier than expected since Lockyer is also mates with Green)

Ikin couldn't be that stupid, he would want success for the club.

Even Seibold would know he’s gone.
You’d have to question what sort of appetite he’d even have for coming back after these two weeks knowing he’s basically a dead man walking.

Surely for all parties it’s better to spare the anxiety and just get it over and done with and let Anthony worry about his family and future rather than having to come back and deal with this mess for another month before getting the punt.

I'm very mixed on Ikin.

On one hand, he was the first person to raise the Broncos roster management heading into the 2017 season and the impact that was going to have on the club. In that regard, he isn't some johnny come lately, he's just been banging the same drum now for four years, so at least he has his fingers on the pulse.

On the other, I thought some of his articles he penned during lockdown were very ordinary and while not disgraceful they didn't seem well thought out. Player welfare is extremely important and if he has a black and white view it's not going to make this a very inviting club.

Booo...this comment

My reservations about Ikin is his inexperience, he’s going into a role he’s never held before and looking to make a lot of change in a short amount of time, that could go one way or another, not unlike the recent experience with Seibold. He does like to say he listens to people about things he doesn’t know, but I wonder who he will have to ask when he is the boss. Its a shame Dennis Watt is no longer chairman.

I'm very mixed on Ikin.

What you can get away with as a journo is very different to what you can get away with in an internal leadership position.

I always felt Phil Gould (among others) always relished that aspect of journalism compared to what he had to give up once he actually had some skin in the game and had to stand by some of the stuff he was publicly saying.

Ladies and Gents, got a few quiet days ahead of me at work this week so will spend time building my portfolio, then come Friday afternoon will come my application.

Will definitely turn to a few of the older heads on here to help me change the tide when I get the call, but in saying that some fresh faces might also get the call up.

What you can get away with as a journo is very different to what you can get away with in an internal leadership position.

I always felt Phil Gould (among others) always relished that aspect of journalism compared to what he had to give up once he actually had some skin in the game and had to stand by some of the stuff he was publicly saying.

Agree
Now if only if he could recommend us some clubs.

For me I think the jury is still out on Benny boy....at the moment I believe he is more suited to a CFO and not a CEO role.....a Content Free Ononist....

My reservations about Ikin is his inexperience, he’s going into a role he’s never held before and looking to make a lot of change in a short amount of time, that could go one way or another, not unlike the recent experience with Seibold. He does like to say he listens to people about things he doesn’t know, but I wonder who he will have to ask when he is the boss. Its a shame Dennis Watt is no longer chairman.

Exactly, he comes across as very wet behind the ears.

I'm not saying he's out of the running either. Maybe he's more professional away from the camera but I'm not exactly handing him the reigns over his persona on NRL 360.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.