Ben Ikin talks salary cap

Any serious journalist would investigate Nolan and his connections to the agents of the players that got insanely obvious good deals for them / bad deals for the club.

Suss as hell.
No, that's a job for the NRL. It's not up to the media to act as a citizen police force.

1. The notion that they're making shit up is something you're making up. Who's to say who's right here?

2. All journalism is lazy and shallow. They're not writing a thesis or adding to the body of science. It's ephemeral, and dated the second it's published.

3. You seem to be just having a general rant about the press, rather than building a case towards a particular journalist. All I see in this reaction - started by @Foordy - is one bullshitter calling another bullshitter a bullshitter. I'm not taking sides other than to correct the nonsense about clickbait.

4. The Courier Mail is a subscription news model. It doesn't rely on "teh cheap clicks." Well not on its Broncos reporting. As for the investment, maybe you should look at the stock value over time. They've done just fine.

5. As for press standards, my advice is don't get your education from the media. The more you know about any subject the more you'll see everything reported is wrong, or aligned with some political party. Reporting on the Broncos is about as good as it gets.

6. Regarding Badel: the guy is one of the hardest working, most earnest in the business. He churns out four or five times more stories about the Broncos every day than any other source. I find, on the whole, he gets it right, and if not, a correction arrives as soon as news comes to hand. He's about as neutral and inoffensive as reporting gets. I'm neither a fan nor a detractor. He's white bread.
How are you related to him, is it by marriage or is he family?

I reckon McHunt is or was a sub, it's pretty normal for someone in the industry to share their insight and perspective when outsiders are criticising journalists or journalism as a whole, it doesn't mean he's emotionally attached to Petey B in any particular way.

No, that's a job for the NRL. It's not up to the media to act as a citizen police force.
It’s not up to them but it’s been done many, many times before. There’s no rule stating they can’t. Remember the cricket spot fixing? If it weren’t for the media those guys would have gotten away with it. Do you really think the pcb would have ”uncovered” this sort of thing.

I wonder if someone powerful at the club got on the phone because this article has been edited. it no longer talks about us being "almost a million dollars over the salary cap" ... it's been changed to "major salary cap pressure" before DD and Ikin arrived.

they now use terms like emergency overhaul being required and our salary cap being in such a parlous state that it crippled coach Kevin Walters’ attempt to keep rising stars Reece Walsh and Xavier Coates.

other things they say include:
  • DD had a hands on role with salary cap management at the Storm
  • Ikin declined to discuss specific figure
  • player option were the issue etc

1. The notion that they're making shit up is something you're making up. Who's to say who's right here?

2. All journalism is lazy and shallow. They're not writing a thesis or adding to the body of science. It's ephemeral, and dated the second it's published.

3. You seem to be just having a general rant about the press, rather than building a case towards a particular journalist. All I see in this reaction - started by @Foordy - is one bullshitter calling another bullshitter a bullshitter. I'm not taking sides other than to correct the nonsense about clickbait.

4. The Courier Mail is a subscription news model. It doesn't rely on "teh cheap clicks." Well not on its Broncos reporting. As for the investment, maybe you should look at the stock value over time. They've done just fine.

5. As for press standards, my advice is don't get your education from the media. The more you know about any subject the more you'll see everything reported is wrong, or aligned with some political party. Reporting on the Broncos is about as good as it gets.

6. Regarding Badel: the guy is one of the hardest working, most earnest in the business. He churns out four or five times more stories about the Broncos every day than any other source. I find, on the whole, he gets it right, and if not, a correction arrives as soon as news comes to hand. He's about as neutral and inoffensive as reporting gets. I'm neither a fan nor a detractor. He's white bread.

I never said they're making up shit, I said the are reporting bullshit. That they are lazy and are just taking whatever their "source" says and, if it supports the narrative they want to present, report it as "truth". They don't seem to apply any scrutiny to it, hence why there are so many conflicting stories about the same topic, it's just relayed bullshit from whatever side of an agenda someone wants to "leak" information from.

I'm not specifically talking about Badel, but I don't see anything from him that puts him above the rest of the trash. The fact that he pumps it out in bulk doesn't matter. Whether it's his fault or not, it is about volume and whether it appeals to the consumer. If you're going to suggest to me that his bosses don't have a say in what and how he reports things, you'd be a liar, so don't pretend that there are no agendas or bias even when reporting on the Broncos. If bagging on them and painting them in a certain light gets the clicks (or their $1 a week), you can guarantee any kind of journalistic integrity will not be holding them back.

It’s not up to them but it’s been done many, many times before. There’s no rule stating they can’t. Remember the cricket spot fixing? If it weren’t for the media those guys would have gotten away with it. Do you really think the pcb would have ”uncovered” this sort of thing.
The media isn't responsible for policing the salary caps. That's the NRL's job. They're not auditors. They're neither qualified nor have any rights to the club's financial records.

Never met him, just notice he tends to be right most of the time, while his critics here are usually wrong most of the time.
I would sleep very securely at night if I were Pistol Pete knowing I had a McHunt in my pocket to come racing in on his white charger to protect my honour whenever it is challenged.

To be fair mate (and I am not one of the people that regularly shit on Badel), but you are reaching @Huge levels of protection of Isaako and Croft in your defence of Badel.

I wonder if someone powerful at the club got on the phone because this article has been edited. it no longer talks about us being "almost a million dollars over the salary cap" ... it's been changed to "major salary cap pressure" before DD and Ikin arrived.

they now use terms like emergency overhaul being required and our salary cap being in such a parlous state that it crippled coach Kevin Walters’ attempt to keep rising stars Reece Walsh and Xavier Coates.

other things they say include:
  • DD had a hands on role with salary cap management at the Storm
  • Ikin declined to discuss specific figure
  • player option were the issue etc
Like I said, the news is ephemeral. It changes as new information and corrections come to hand.

I never said they're making up shit, I said the are reporting bullshit. That they are lazy and are just taking whatever their "source" says and, if it supports the narrative they want to present, report it as "truth". They don't seem to apply any scrutiny to it, hence why there are so many conflicting stories about the same topic, it's just relayed bullshit from whatever side of an agenda someone wants to "leak" information from.

I'm not specifically talking about Badel, but I don't see anything from him that puts him above the rest of the trash. The fact that he pumps it out in bulk doesn't matter. Whether it's his fault or not, it is about volume and whether it appeals to the consumer. If you're going to suggest to me that his bosses don't have a say in what and how he reports things, you'd be a liar, so don't pretend that there are no agendas or bias even when reporting on the Broncos. If bagging on them and painting them in a certain light gets the clicks (or their $1 a week), you can guarantee any kind of journalistic integrity will not be holding them back.

Sorry mate, but that's just a rant. You clearly have an "agenda" and "narrative" you're pushing but I can't get on your wavelength in a way that's useful.

I would sleep very securely at night if I were Pistol Pete knowing I had a McHunt in my pocket to come racing in on his white charger to protect my honour whenever it is challenged.

To be fair mate (and I am not one of the people that regularly shit on Badel), but you are reaching @Huge levels of protection of Isaako and Croft in your defence of Badel.
I'm not really sticking up for Badel per se, I'm just calling shenanigans on the endless kneejerk bleating about him in here. Just recently, for example he was right about:

1. Signing Pereira. Called that months before the club.
2. Lodge and TPJ leaving despite the club initially denying and flip flopping constantly.
3. Milford being pursued by Souths and the Gold Coast.
3. Dearden going to the Cowboys.
4. The club pursuing and signing Capewell.
5. Karmichael Hunt being trialed in the halves.
6. The club pursuing Hynes but not being favourites to get him.
6. Etc etc.

Generally I've noticed if he says something is happening, it's because someone close to the source has told him that. It's not in his interest to be wrong.

If anyone here has a list of shit he's been wrong about this year, I'd love to see it.

The media isn't responsible for policing the salary caps. That's the NRL's job. They're not auditors. They're neither qualified nor have any rights to the club's financial records.
Way to completely miss the point.

My comment is in response to you telling @Morkel it’s not up to ANY journalist to actually research the topic matter they talk about in their day to day job and just go with what their (totally reliable) ”sources” tell them to. Any casual fan over the years can see how obvious it is the media helps direct the narrative in whatever the nrl does, this latest vlandis lovefest even though he’s a slimy idiot is just the cherry on top. Plus they print amounts players are on non-stop, so if they aren’t auditors or don’t know they should shut their fucking mouths, agree? The nrl media are largely a bunch of yes men.

that wasn't a "new information has come to hand" edit.

it was a "oh ****, libel, we better remove the direct accusations" edit
Yes, the lede has been edited. That's usually written by an editor as well. Not surprised it's been changed to be honest. It was pretty inflammatory.

Way to completely miss the point.

My comment is in response to you telling @Morkel it’s not up to ANY journalist to actually research the topic matter they talk about in their day to day job and just go with what their (totally reliable) ”sources” tell them to. Any casual fan over the years can see how obvious it is the media helps direct the narrative in whatever the nrl does, this latest vlandis lovefest even though he’s a slimy idiot is just the cherry on top. Plus they print amounts players are on non-stop, so if they aren’t auditors or don’t know they should shut their fucking mouths, agree? The nrl media are largely a bunch of yes men.
Here's how news reporting works. Note Badel is a news reporter, not an investigative journalist. They're few and far between and virtually non-existent in sport. (Newspapers are broke).

1. Someone tells you something. You don't care whether it's true, but it's juicy.
2. You ask them if you can quote them.
3. They say yes.
4. You print it and attribute to them.

1. Someone tells you something. You don't care whether it's true, but it's juicy.
2. You ask them if you can quote them.
3. They say no. Now you care whether it's true.
4. You ring around and see if anyone else can back it up.
5. If not, it's juicy and you think it's probably true, you credit a "source close to."

1. You piece together some shit and submit it to an editor.
2. The editor gets a sub to fact check it so it doesn't get the paper in trouble.
3. The editor goes through the piece, fixes the grammar, checks spelling, etc.
4. Good to go.

Yes, the lead has been edited. That's usually written by an editor as well. Not surprised it's been changed to be honest. It was pretty inflammatory.

it was also in the part of the article written by Badel. but we should just forget about that, otherwise you might start crying.

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Broncosarethebest
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BroncosAlways
  • bert_lifts
  • Rambstien
  • Alec
  • Behold
  • Sproj
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Allo
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • broncos4life
  • Galah
  • broncs30
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.