Ben Ikin talks salary cap

Here's how news reporting works. Note Badel is a news reporter, not an investigative journalist. They're few and far between and virtually non-existent in sport. (Newspapers are broke).

1. Someone tells you something. You don't care whether it's true, but it's juicy.
2. You ask them if you can quote them.
3. They say yes.
4. You print it and attribute to them.

1. Someone tells you something. You don't care whether it's true, but it's juicy.
3. They say no. Now you care whether it's true.
4. You ring around and see if anyone else can back it up.
5. If not, it's juicy and you think it's probably true, you credit a "source close to."

1. You piece together some shit and submit it to an editor.
2. The editor gets a sub to fact check it so it doesn't get the paper in trouble.
3. The editor goes through the piece, fixes the grammar, checks spelling, etc.
4. Good to go.
Pretty easy gig as long as you have no regard for your integrity or public perception

it was also in the part of the article written by Badel. but we should just forget about that, otherwise you might start crying.
I have no more idea than you where Badel got the information that was in the original article. We're both in the dark but it would surprise me if a seasoned journalist/editor let that one through without due diligence. I'm also not surprised if shit has subsequently hit the fan.

My gut feeling is it will have been right to start with.

Here's how news reporting works. Note Badel is a news reporter, not an investigative journalist. They're few and far between and virtually non-existent in sport. (Newspapers are broke).

3. They say yes.

5. If not, it's juicy and you think it's probably true, you credit a "source close to."

2. The editor gets a sub to fact check it so it doesn't get the paper in trouble.
4. Good to go.
Yeah so in other words you admit it’s basically a current affair but with names from rl we actually give a shit about. If you are satisfied with that type of media for the game then I don’t know what to say.

Yeah so in other words you admit it’s basically a current affair but with names from rl we actually give a shit about. If you are satisfied with that type of media for the game then I don’t know what to say.
I'm just telling you this is how reporting works. Some people imagine it's like being a detective. Most of the time it's padding in filler around press releases.

I'm just telling you this is how reporting works. Some people imagine it's like being a detective. Most of the time it's padding in filler around press releases.
even if it means talking shit?

In other words, you suspect it might be bullshit, a quick ring around basically confirms that fact, but you print it anyway.

See why people get upset?

3. They say yes.

4. Good to go.
So you are defending journos against the behaviour people have an issue with by confirming they do that behaviour and detailing it? Bold.

I would sleep very securely at night if I were Pistol Pete knowing I had a McHunt in my pocket to come racing in on his white charger to protect my honour whenever it is challenged.

To be fair mate (and I am not one of the people that regularly shit on Badel), but you are reaching @Huge levels of protection of Isaako and Croft in your defence of Badel.

Sometimes when you are spewing out so many reports and exclusives that aren't, sometimes you can make up one that is so good it is almost correct, almost too correct if you will.

@McHunt **** you can talk shit.

Journalists should write the true all the time.
bart simpson episode 20 GIF

.....what's going on? Comments seem to be aimed at McHunt..... yet I can't see any of his posts?

I took him off ignore? Still no McHunt?

This all smells of the type of gutter journalism McHunt was regurgitating and defending months ago.

If I were to impart one fact about the media it's this: most journalists don't understand what they're reporting, and the more numbers involved the more this is true.

Hahahhahaa and how is that in any way worth defending? i don't care "how it works", I just care that the end product is a bunch of bullshit that is reported as "fact". Careers live and die on what the media reports. Players, club officials, the dirt that gets spewed about these guys actually has real-world consequences, and that's before we go on to a club's position in regards to sponsors, attracting players, etc. And you think it's okay just because those in the know accept the fact that it's just filler and so long as someone will put their name to a comment, or because no one wants to go on record disputing it, they're safe to print anything? **** me dead.

It is exactly what I said it was - a self-serving industry that is designed to sell click-bait to the gullible, and push the agendas of people who have something to gain from it. And then people like Kent get up on their high horse and claim that Rugby League needs the media more than the media needs Rugby League? There might be some people that work hard in the industry but it's a sham industry that deseves contempt.

As always everyone, if none of what you have heard a friend of a friend of a friend say is in a reliable media source (yes I know the irony when talking about Badel), do NOT put it in here.

In other words, you suspect it might be bullshit, a quick ring around basically confirms that fact, but you print it anyway.

See why people get upset?
No, I'm saying the opposite of that. A quick ring around confirms the rumour is rife, you tender it as a rumour, with the source withheld. When someone goes on record, you are reporting what they are saying. The burden of proof is on them.

So you are defending journos against the behaviour people have an issue with by confirming they do that behaviour and detailing it? Bold.
I'm explaining how the media works. If any of this is shocking to you, you're a bit sheltered. The underlying premise in all this is that Badel is "lying for the clicks." I'm saying that's bullshit, and I've explained why it's bullshit.
Sometimes when you are spewing out so many reports and exclusives that aren't, sometimes you can make up one that is so good it is almost correct, almost too correct if you will.
I reckon you should put you should try the experiment and see how you go betting against Badel being right. My casual observation here is generally that's a losing bet.

Hahahhahaa and how is that in any way worth defending? i don't care "how it works", I just care that the end product is a bunch of bullshit that is reported as "fact". Careers live and die on what the media reports. Players, club officials, the dirt that gets spewed about these guys actually has real-world consequences, and that's before we go on to a club's position in regards to sponsors, attracting players, etc. And you think it's okay just because those in the know accept the fact that it's just filler and so long as someone will put their name to a comment, or because no one wants to go on record disputing it, they're safe to print anything? **** me dead.

It is exactly what I said it was - a self-serving industry that is designed to sell click-bait to the gullible, and push the agendas of people who have something to gain from it. And then people like Kent get up on their high horse and claim that Rugby League needs the media more than the media needs Rugby League? There might be some people that work hard in the industry but it's a sham industry that deseves contempt.
You're just ranting again under the premise that Badel is wrong constantly. He's not. You're wrong constantly. Prove me wrong.

As for "click bait" really what the **** are you talking about? That more describes BHQ than the Courier Mail. Except the dick enlargement ads. That shit is cash.

Just confirms my theory on why Wayne Bennett has been successful where ever he coaches, he's basically the CEO/Football Department/Coach/Recruitment officer.. all rolled into one

The second he left the blokes we had employed in those areas were all shown up to be frauds

Active Now

• Strop
  • theshed
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • broncos4life
  • Fozz
  • Morkel
  • Tim K
  • Lurker
  • HarryAllan7
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Bish
  • Griffo
  • MrMoore
  • Galah
  • Fitzy
  • Mr Fourex
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bucking Beads
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.