Bennett blocks Milf from playing for Samoa

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/broncos/wayne-bennett-says-he-wont-allow-anthony-milford-to-play-for-samoa/news-story/fe840e0506134d66d84b9ea79bd60e00

TEST football has descended into high farce after Broncos coach Wayne Bennett sensationally blocked Anthony Milford from representing Samoa.
Bennett will allow Broncos prop Joe Ofahengaue to play for Tonga in the Pacific Test against Samoa next weekend, but has shut the door on clubmate Milford appearing in the same game.
The Rugby League International Federation last night took aim at Bennett, accusing the Broncos coach, who will also lead England at this year’s Four Nations, of double standards.
At least 10 Broncos players will feature in the NRL’s representative round next week, including Australian quintet Sam Thaiday, Darius Boyd, Corey Parker, Matt Gillett and Josh McGuire.
Kodi Nikorima, Jordan Kahu, Alex Glenn and Adam Blair will turn out for the Kiwis while Ofahengaue will represent Tonga ... but Bennett will not release Milford for Samoa.
In a week where ARL Commission chairman John Grant preached the importance of Test football, the absence of Milford is a massive blow for the health of the international game.

story-fni0cx12-fe840e0506134d66d84b9ea79bd60e00

But Bennett, a long-time advocate of helping minnow nations, was standing firm, confirming Milford will not join Ofahengaue in the Pacific Test at Parramatta’s Pirtek Stadium.
“Anthony Milford is not playing for Samoa,” Bennett said.
“I don’t care what people think.
“I’ve made the call and Anthony will not be playing.”
Bennett’s decision went down like a lead balloon with Samoa coach Matt Parish, who had named Milford at five-eighth for the clash against Tonga.
Parish declined to comment but confirmed Milford was eligible for selection and claimed the Broncos ace made it clear he wanted to represent Samoa

Wow, this is interesting. I wonder what Bennett's thought process is here

Thought the Milf had already turned Samoa down so he could represent QLD.

Pretty sure they were talking about this on 360 last night. Didn't catch the whole segment but 90% sure they said him playing for Samoa will not effect his Origin eligibility.

Hope it doesn't affect Milf on Sunday.

Bennett wouldn't have done it so flatly without discussing it with Milf. Maybe he just convinced him that one irrelevant test match isn't worth a potential long term injury

He's eligible for Australia and he broke curfew. Completely understandable.

IIRC, Milford wouldn't be eligible for QLD & Australia until after the World Cup if he chose to play for Samoa. Because he had already switched his allegiance back to Australia and QLD in the hope that he would play for them.

So maybe this is why Bennett is blocking it.

I reckon Bennett is taking the heat for Milf. I don't believe you're able to decline rep selection without a medical note. Clubs are able to block it though.

He would've asked Milf what he wanted to do, and Milf told him he wanted to play for QLD. IMO.

I did have a laugh at how terse Bennett's comments in the article were

I reckon Bennett is taking the heat for Milf. I don't believe you're able to decline rep selection without a medical note. Clubs are able to block it though.

He would've asked Milf what he wanted to do, and Milf told him he wanted to play for QLD. IMO.
I get the same perception.

If Milf has already changes his allegiance to Australia/Qld, Bennett wouldn't have to block him playing for Samoa. He simply would no longer be eligible.

Or does a change of allegiance only become official when they physically lace the boots up for a country/state - hence why McGuire was able to play for Samoa immediately after being shunned by Australia?

WAYNE Bennett is right to block Anthony Milford from playing for Samoa, Cowboys coach Paul Green says.

Green has backed his former mentor and grand final adversary, stating the injury risk is too great to allow a player like Milford to play a Pacific Test.

Green would know. Cowboys centre Tautau Moga ruptured his ACL representing Samoa in last year’s Pacific Test and was ruled out for the season.

Injury concerns are understood to be the reason Bennett has refused to allow Milford, his best player this season, to represent Samoa.

The decision has caused outrage, with an official online petition started at change.org on Friday.

Green though said NRL clubs were left to pick up the pieces when a representative game went wrong and the risk outweighed the reward.

“I fully understand why Wayne made the decision,” Green said.

“I think everyone wants to encourage the international game but the clubs take on all the risk in respect to these games.

“We lost Tautau Moga through the same game last year.

“No one realises we have to keep paying his salary, rehab him and we are without that player who takes up a huge chunk of our salary cap.

“Once those Tests are done and dusted no one really cares too much.

“It is something the NRL needs to look at. You can tie it into the pre-season as everyone wants their piece of flesh from the players but often it is the clubs left with the risk.

“We let our best players play State of Origin and I’m not suggesting we don’t play those games but the clubs are the ones holding all the risks.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...n/news-story/77e1aef2ddc68d818709258718dfafb4

This is a crock of shit if this is the reasoning. Benny can't just selectively block some players from some rep fixtures but not others. If that's his stance he should be blocking players picked for qld and Australia as well.

This is a crock of shit if this is the reasoning. Benny can't just selectively block some players from some rep fixtures but not others. If that's his stance he should be blocking players picked for qld and Australia as well.

Yeah he can. And he just did.

A host of players pull out of City vs Country.

"Who cares? It's just an exhibition game."

Wayne Bennett opts to rest his star playmaker in a Samoa v Tonga clash

"EFF YOU WAYNE! Let the uce play!!! Conflict of interest, hypocrite, liar, cheat, selfish bastard!!!"

Was Anthony Milford going to represent Samoa in the World Cup? How big a future was he going to have in the Samoan side? Anthony wants to play State of Origin, if he played this one off Test he'd miss out until 2018.

The media is getting extremely petty. Between this and the James Roberts story doing the rounds I've had a gutful.

Last edited:

Active Now

• sooticus
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Cavalo
  • maddo
  • teampjta
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.