NEWS Bennett: Broncos players will decide if they follow me to Souths

I think it's important TPJ comes out and reiterates his commitment to the club. I just don't believe him yet.

Last edited:
TPJ simply isn't a good fit for Souths. They already have ample punch in their pack, just with the 3x Burgii. They don't need another player who's good for 3 dropped balls and conceding a penalty while in possession.

They were probably on the right track with Su'a, even Fifita, but really, if they wanted someone to replace Crichton, their #1 target (from the Broncos) should be Gillett. He probably has as many years left in him as Bennett does, and I think he'll bounce back from his injury refreshed and raring to go.

Don't worry @Porthoz, I don't see it happening. It's just with all the talk of player swaps, he'd make the most sense for them.

TPJ simply isn't a good fit for Souths. They already have ample punch in their pack, just with the 3x Burgii. They don't need another player who's good for 3 dropped balls and conceding a penalty while in possession.

They were probably on the right track with Su'a, even Fifita, but really, if they wanted someone to replace Crichton, their #1 target (from the Broncos) should be Gillett. He probably has as many years left in him as Bennett does, and I think he'll bounce back from his injury refreshed and raring to go.

Don't worry @Porthoz, I don't see it happening. It's just with all the talk of player swaps, he'd make the most sense for them.

Dude this is prettt harsh. With all the rumours of Kahu leaving I don’t think Port could stand the thought of Gillett going too.

All the talk of Roberts leaving I just don't see. Paul White had a lot to do with the rehabilitation of Roberts and has stuck his neck out for him a lot. Same goes with Lodge. White is the one who went above and beyond to get everything sorted. Sure bennett may have had the idea to get these players to the club, but White had a lot more to lose than Bennett for any poor behaviour off the field from these players. If Lodge or Roberts got arrested or had negative crowds because of their signing, thats a financial loss and Paul White's job is largely financially driven. Whilst from Bennett's standpoint, if those players failed he simply says 'I tried but they had too many issues' and really still appears to be the 'Good guy' for giving them a chance.

TLDR The Coach might sway the player in getting to the club, but it is Paul White who is the one really sticking his neck out for the player, so a lot of loyalty should be shown to him and the club.

TBH I am losing a lot of respect for Bennett through all this. I have been an absolute fanboy of Wayne but all the crap over the last 6 months and the shit he has been coming out with insinuating players may follow him etc. I get that he is pissed at the club and he has a right to be and it is understandable, but he has to be bigger than this. Yes he wanted to stay here, but he more than anyone should understand that it is a performance based business and the team for whatever reason hasn't performed. Also, it isn't like he is out on his arse.

He thinks he is getting back at the club with this shit, but the people he is actually affecting is the fans. The ones that have to be concerned that their favourite players are going to leave, the ones that have endured some pretty big bullshit the last decade or so and have every right to be excited about the future, this shit is all over-shadowing it. I thought he was better than this tbh.

TBH I am losing a lot of respect for Bennett through all this. I have been an absolute fanboy of Wayne but all the crap over the last 6 months and the shit he has been coming out with insinuating players may follow him etc. I get that he is pissed at the club and he has a right to be and it is understandable, but he has to be bigger than this. Yes he wanted to stay here, but he more than anyone should understand that it is a performance based business and the team for whatever reason hasn't performed. Also, it isn't like he is out on his arse.

He thinks he is getting back at the club with this shit, but the people he is actually affecting is the fans. The ones that have to be concerned that their favourite players are going to leave, the ones that have endured some pretty big bullshit the last decade or so and have every right to be excited about the future, this shit is all over-shadowing it. I thought he was better than this tbh.
I have heard today that Bennett is telling these players to stay by the way. Saying he's not going to be around forever and that the players are better off keeping the group together. I think he's still teasing the media

Woah, woah, down boy. No need to get startled yet big fella.

For mine, for such massive news, Bennett has actually said very little. 99% of what's out there is either over-embellishment by journalists, or the cascading hopes of worried fans.

Even if some of his words can be construed as a feeling of ill-will towards the club, do we really think that Bennett is going to burn his Broncos bridges this close to retirement? The likely scenario is that he's intimating just enough to let the board know that he does indeed hold a lot of power over the club and the players (even though he is unwilling to use that power), so it's in their best interests to "sack" him immediately so he won't be able to / doesn't need to carry out any of this "threats".

Woah, woah, down boy. No need to get startled yet big fella.

For mine, for such massive news, Bennett has actually said very little. 99% of what's out there is either over-embellishment by journalists, or the cascading hopes of worried fans.

Even if some of his words can be construed as a feeling of ill-will towards the club, do we really think that Bennett is going to burn his Broncos bridges this close to retirement? The likely scenario is that he's intimating just enough to let the board know that he does indeed hold a lot of power over the club and the players (even though he is unwilling to use that power), so it's in their best interests to "sack" him immediately so he won't be able to / doesn't need to carry out any of this "threats".

Pretty much. I won't lie and say I've been reading every article......I'm over the same story being reported 20 different ways for a whole week, but the media's tendency to lead then embellish the response has me taking all of this with a grain of salt.

I have heard today that Bennett is telling these players to stay by the way. Saying he's not going to be around forever and that the players are better off keeping the group together. I think he's still teasing the media
Where did you hear that from?

The players should do what's best for themselves, in the long term. For most of them that's staying put.
I personally think that includes Roberts but i understand the temptation to look to greener greener pastures, particularly when the bloke who has been your rock is set to leave.
Both Roberts, tevita and lodge have family in Sydney so it must be tempting, but Roberts at least seems to have found his spot here.
Lodge and tevita on the other hand have nothing really nailing them down here, apart from Bennet. Perhaps in lodge's case there may be some financial securities to do with his past, that hold him, but that could be worked out by another big money club (roosters maybe, but definitely not South's).
Anyway i suspect whoever leaves will not be insurmountable to replace anyway.
If Glenn and Kahu got taken up by South's it would solve a few headaches for both clubs. They are good for us but would seem to have more long term spots for them there

Dq4ccKHU0AAoCh7.jpg:large

James Roberts is going nowhere guys.

Neither is Lodge, Oates or TPJ.

That former centre that wanted to go back to the Titans? It was Kelly.

I thought we weren't allowed to post private messages on here.

I hope he does stick around though, I heard a rumour that Brian Kelly wants out of the Sea Eagles to return back to the Titans, that'd basically rule out Jimmy for them.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.