Bennett is NOT a Supercoach

Status
Not open for further replies.
So who would you have played in the centers when Tahu got injured?

Hodges' best season was 2006. There's no doubt about that.

And I just can't comprehend how you dismiss Bennett's Premierships because he had star studded teams, yet you consider Bellamy's Premierships as legitimate despite having a proven illegal roster. Why is Bellamy's achievement more regarded than Bennett's who played within the rules of the competition?

"Hodges' best season was 2006. There's no doubt about that. "

Well there is actually lol. He was by far the best centre in the game for a few years at the rooster. In 2006 he was good, then played brilliantly at fullback for a few games. IMO and many others', the roosters years were his best.

I'm not dismissing Bennett's premierships at all. I'm just saying that the 2000 one has no relevance to the current game. Unlimited interchange plus basically the entire Australian and Queensland forward pack (along with pretty much the back line too) is a fair bit different to 10 interchanges a game and a much more even spread of rep players throughout the competition. Since them he has won 2 premierships, along with 2 other coaches.

On the "illegal" team of the storm - yes they were paying them over the salary cap, but you cannot say with 100% certainty that they would've lost any of their stars had they not been paying them extra. Have cronk/slater/smith left now that they're within the salary cap? No.

Let's remember that they did lose inglis, folau, finch, Jeremy smith, Matt king, Manu, Kaufusi, Johnson, Crocker, Tolman, Maloney, And a tonne of other players over the last few years. How did they cope? They replaced them, trained up new guys to fill their roles, and kept winning. Cooper cronk has continually been said on here to be void of any creativity or natural skills but has been coached to perfection - who's to say if they lost him that Bellamy wouldn't just do the same to another guy that no other team would give a chance?

That's why bellamys achievements over the last 10 years are more regarded than Bennett's.

Ning, no agenda at all. Just don't think Bennett is the coaching god many think he is. This topic *is* about Bennett remember? Think I'm allowed to have a discussion about Bennett in here lol. If you want to just resort to "don't know why we bother" then kindly leave and take no further part in the conversation.

Were the Broncos the only team in the comp in 2000 to have unlimited interchange or something? It's not an advantage if every other coach has it at their disposal.

So who here can list all the players the Broncos lost since 2006?? Obviously the Storm are the only club to lose quality players. It is a clear agenda and you can't convince me otherwise.

Such a dumb article and argument on so many levels. Particularly the stuff about how he always had an Origin pack -- Since when has Brisbane not provided most of the Queensland pack? Up until the last 6-7 years Queensland has had the less talented pool of players to choose from and continues to have a much smaller pool to pick from. Where is mention of that, or recognition of key injuries to players like Lockyer?

I will say though that Bennett isn't as good a coach as he was say 10 years ago, or at least, his dominance over his peers isn't as large, but that is probably in part because others have caught up. Also, why is it always a comparison between just Bellamy and Bennett? Some of the things that Des Hasler has done over the years have been quite impressive.

I'm not dismissing Bennett's premierships at all. I'm just saying that the 2000 one has no relevance to the current game. Unlimited interchange plus basically the entire Australian and Queensland forward pack (along with pretty much the back line too) is a fair bit different to 10 interchanges a game and a much more even spread of rep players throughout the competition.

All teams had the unlimited interchange, just Bennett using it every couple of mins. (because he hated it & wanted to prove a point.

Game 1 of Origin had 7 Broncos players.
Lockyer, Sailor, Ikin, Webcke, Tallis, Thorn, Carroll (Carroll was an interchange)

Game 2 of Origin had 5 Broncos.

Take out Sailor & Ikin.

Game 3 of Origin
Same as game one, but Thorn was on the interchange bench with Carroll

He was the best back in the day when he had a team that would beat the current Australian team, but he can't take joe average and turn them into a player who know exactly what to do and when to do it to perfection like a coach like Bellamy can. He can "nurture" players that we can see have absolute superstar potential but are having trouble with consistency or application, that's his forte - although even that area shows that he's not perfect. Players like Dave Taylor, costigan, hodges, stagg, for example all improved in leaps and bounds after they left Bennett's coaching, after being stuck languishing with one good game here and there for years.

Problem is AP, Dave Taylor, Costigan, Hodges and Stagg are all examples of players who were developed at the Broncos under Bennett and would have improved leaps and bounds regardless of if they stayed at the Broncos or not and that was largely due to the structure at the Broncos built under the guidence of Wayne Bennett, to suggest otherwise your kidding yourself, these are all players other clubs would be targetting because of the quality they had already shown at the Broncos, they weren't unknown players playing a handful of games, Stagg and Costigan were both regulars in the 17 and both Dave Taylor and Hodges were penciled in as players for the longterm starting 13 at the club.

Now AP as for Bennett not being able to develop players like Bellamy can, please point out a single player during Bellamy's career at the Storm where he has shown the willingness and braveness to put not only his own career and profile on the line by not only taking the captaincy off a player with the profile in the game like Wally Lewis with the public calling for his head in doing so, but to shift him from his prefered position and put in a young, inexperienced, unproven 5/8th/halfback utility player in Kevin Walters for what he believes is in the best interests in the club.

Last edited:
Bennett is better at grooming players from youth and turning boys into men. The all conquering Broncos teams of the 90's were recruited and developed by Bennett and when they had mutured he managed them to their premiership wins, this makes him different from Gibson who coached teams on death row and turned them into genuine premiersip forces. Off topic but Bennett was the co-coach of Canberra when they finished runners up in 1987 so his Grand Final record is actually 7/8.

And it's worth noting his BRL Cup win coaching Souths to beat Wynnum in 1985 as well. That was a massive achievement. As well as coaching winning Origin teams in 3 different decades.

Anyone else think that AP already has a copy of the paper sent off to be autographed by Mangan?

Anonymous person; if Hodges best years were at the Rosters, why did you then claim he had to return to the Broncos because nobody else wanted him? How could he be the best & no other teams be chasing him?

Anonymous person; if Hodges best years were at the Rosters, why did you then claim he had to return to the Broncos because nobody else wanted him? How could he be the best & no other teams be chasing him?

seriously? I'm guessing you didn't follow rugby league back then lol. Injury plagued, numerous off field incidents, numerous on field incidents, attitude problems, etc. plus, he wanted to move home to Brisbane. He didn't, however, return because he wanted to be coached by Bennett again lol. in fact, he didn't get along with Bennett for years.

oh and to the people saying 2006 was his best year without a doubt - he only played something like 12 games that season.

Hodges became an international centre under Bennett. Enough said.

Last edited:
He played the first 10 rounds before getting injured. Not sure how many games he actually played but he came back 2 games before our winning streak started and played every game from then on in. Would've been plenty more than 12.

Edit. Cheers Big Pete.

oh and to the people saying 2006 was his best year without a doubt - he only played something like 12 games that season.

Guessing you didn't follow league back in 2006 because Hodges was amazing that year and he played 20 games that season. Boom!!

Hodges became an international centre under Bennett. Enough said.

Became an origin player 4 years earlier at the roosters though ;)

I'll admit I was wrong about 2006, all I remember was him missing a large portion of the regular season. Just looked it up and he only played 16/26 at the most of the regular season games + 4 finals matches. Either way, he missed 1/3 of the entire season including finals, and was only our 4th highest try scorer the entire year. He was good, but until he moved to fullback he was nowhere near his past form.

I am confused. Since when is number of tries scored the barometer of a good centre? Good thing for NSW I suppose, Josh Morris is awesome now.

And I find it funny how you go to great lengths to point out he missed a third of the season, and was only our 4th highest try scorer. As if you somehow expect more from somebody who missed 1/3 of the season.

Looks like we all know AP should change his name from Anonymous Person to John Mangan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.