Bennett is NOT a Supercoach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
24* and he had Origin commitments too.

He clearly wasn't ready for Origin either back in 2002 and wasn't considered the best centre in the game until he linked up with Bennett.

Last edited:
Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
I don't know how Tame Tupou didn't win our player of the year award in 2006. He scored 13 tries FFS.........

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
and wasn't considered the best centre in the game until he linked up with Bennett.

He was by many, SMH among them - http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/10/02/1096527993880.html

"Coming back from a knee reconstruction and a very public relationship break-up, Hodges, formerly the game's best centre, has had a season to forget and Roosters coach Ricky Stuart was set to confine him to a season in premier league before his teammates stepped in."

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
An off the cuff remark from Danny Weilder is hardly an amazing endorsement.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Lol at using the term SMH rather than telling us it was Weidler who wrote that. :haha:

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
He was by many, SMH among them - http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/10/02/1096527993880.html

"Coming back from a knee reconstruction and a very public relationship break-up, Hodges, formerly the game's best centre, has had a season to forget and Roosters coach Ricky Stuart was set to confine him to a season in premier league before his teammates stepped in."

Lol Danny Weilder...

Hodges was absolutely amazing in 2006, I don't think it's even possible for him to have had a better year, him moving to fullback(along with Berrigan to 9) was one of the key reasons we won the premiership that year.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
i didnt mention it was him cause i didnt even look who wrote it - all i did was found an article and linked to it.

yes hodges was great in 2006 - but he was even BETTER in 2002. he carved teams up week in week out, and didnt miss ~10 games in the year either.

anyway, this is about bennett not hodges - how long are we giving bennett to get a premiership before maybe, just maybe, some of you will admit that hes not a "supercoach"? better yet, how many more top quality and/or representative players is he going to be allowed to throw the chequebook at before it even matters since he's just buying a premiership?

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
But he is a supercoach and forever will be. His success in the game has already established that.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
i didnt mention it was him cause i didnt even look who wrote it - all i did was found an article and linked to it.

yes hodges was great in 2006 - but he was even BETTER in 2002. he carved teams up week in week out, and didnt miss ~10 games in the year either.

anyway, this is about bennett not hodges - how long are we giving bennett to get a premiership before maybe, just maybe, some of you will admit that hes not a "supercoach"? better yet, how many more top quality and/or representative players is he going to be allowed to throw the chequebook at before it even matters since he's just buying a premiership?

when he went to the Dragons it took him 2 years to win that premiership without buying a heap of representative players he mainly bought players like Weyman and turned them into rep players (I think Boyd became a rep player at the Dragons not Broncos).

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Lol, I wouldn't listen to AP's claims about rep players and so on.

He's already brought out the excuses in case Bennett wins a premiership with the Knights, claiming that their squad is chock-full of representative superstars. In reality, I think any neutral would agree that the Knights have a solid squad, which is probably just good enough to make the top eight.

In fact, let's look at the team they named against Melbourne:

1. Darius Boyd - yep, rep quality, I'll give you that.
2. James McManus - lol, has played one game for NSW, does not constitute rep quality. Solid winger at best.
3. Junior Sa'u - last game for New Zealand was in 2010. Extremely inconsistent player with questionable attitude.
4. Timana Tahu - hasn't been the same player since he came back from rugby union. Had the whole 'Joey racism' incident to deal with in 2010, and went missing for a while after. Only played seven games last season. Definitely not rep quality anymore.
5. Akuila Uate - definitely rep quality.
6. Kurt Gidley - yeah, rep quality player, but hardly a superstar.
7. Jarrod Mullen - last played for NSW in 2007, has lost his way a bit. Needs a good coach to get the best out of him.
8. Kade Snowden - rep quality
9. Danny Buderus - 34 years old. Last played for NSW in 2008. Brilliant decision by Bennett to bring him back. Genius of a coach.
10. Richie Fa'aoso - two games for Tonga, in no way 'rep quality'.
11. Chris Houston - played for Country last season after a year out of the game.
12. Zeb Taia - has played one match for New Zealand and is coming back from a terrible injury last season.
13. Neville Costigan - played for Queensland a few times, not exactly a stand out in the NRL. Good, solid player.

14. Alex McKinnon - hasn't even played 10 matches in first grade.
15. Adam Cuthbertson - the dude who no one wants, except WB.
16. Joel Edwards - local lad who's only in his third year of first grade.
17. Zane Tetevano - second season of first grade, played for the Cook Islands a few times.

Not a stand out squad by any means.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
when he went to the Dragons it took him 2 years to win that premiership without buying a heap of representative players he mainly bought players like Weyman and turned them into rep players (I think Boyd became a rep player at the Dragons not Broncos).

Boyd did debut for Australia and QLD in 2008, his last year at the Broncos.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
....when coached by Wayne Bennett.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
But that's okay, he was gifted all those rep stars when he started at the Broncos. I will forever be amazed how Cyril Connell scouted Boyd when he was 1 and signed him to the Broncos in 88.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
And lets not forget to credit APs super coach Bellamy with bringing the wrestling pox to our game. Well done Bellamy, for changing the game in such a negative way.

J

JaseC

NYC Player
Mar 7, 2012
Bellamy learnt his craft under Bennett. If Bellamy is a successful coach, what is Bennett?

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
AP, would you say that Henjak is better than Bennett?

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

Premierships:
Bellamy: 0(lol and still lost 2 GF's with a cheating team)
Bennett: 7...

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Lol, I wouldn't listen to AP's claims about rep players and so on.

He's already brought out the excuses in case Bennett wins a premiership with the Knights, claiming that their squad is chock-full of representative superstars. In reality, I think any neutral would agree that the Knights have a solid squad, which is probably just good enough to make the top eight.

In fact, let's look at the team they named against Melbourne:

1. Darius Boyd - yep, rep quality, I'll give you that.
2. James McManus - lol, has played one game for NSW, does not constitute rep quality. Solid winger at best.
3. Junior Sa'u - last game for New Zealand was in 2010. Extremely inconsistent player with questionable attitude.
4. Timana Tahu - hasn't been the same player since he came back from rugby union. Had the whole 'Joey racism' incident to deal with in 2010, and went missing for a while after. Only played seven games last season. Definitely not rep quality anymore.
5. Akuila Uate - definitely rep quality.
6. Kurt Gidley - yeah, rep quality player, but hardly a superstar.
7. Jarrod Mullen - last played for NSW in 2007, has lost his way a bit. Needs a good coach to get the best out of him.
8. Kade Snowden - rep quality
9. Danny Buderus - 34 years old. Last played for NSW in 2008. Brilliant decision by Bennett to bring him back. Genius of a coach.
10. Richie Fa'aoso - two games for Tonga, in no way 'rep quality'.
11. Chris Houston - played for Country last season after a year out of the game.
12. Zeb Taia - has played one match for New Zealand and is coming back from a terrible injury last season.
13. Neville Costigan - played for Queensland a few times, not exactly a stand out in the NRL. Good, solid player.

14. Alex McKinnon - hasn't even played 10 matches in first grade.
15. Adam Cuthbertson - the dude who no one wants, except WB.
16. Joel Edwards - local lad who's only in his third year of first grade.
17. Zane Tetevano - second season of first grade, played for the Cook Islands a few times.

Not a stand out squad by any means.
You do realize that you just pointed out that every single player in their 1-13 has already played rep footy, don't you? That's helping MY argument lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Lostboy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Horseheadsup
  • Strop
  • Fozz
  • mitch222
  • Culhwch
  • KateBroncos1812
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Sproj
  • johnny plath
  • Dash
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.