Best Ever Captains

I'm sure if you asked him he wouldn't say that.

Lockyer would totally say that. He's just that kind of guy, I don't think I've ever seen him big note himself.

I think he'd be wrong though, Lockyer is absolutely the better captain.

Why is he the best origin player of all time? Basically his whole career he has had an amazing team next to him. I dunno, personally I find it hard to compare him and locky. Locky was the sole play maker basically his entire time at 5/8 with the hookers and half partner changing a fair bit. Smith is good, but I just havent seen him command a team himself like Locky did so often.

Lockyer had only Prince and Thurston at seven when he played six for Queensland. Prince in 2004 and Thurston from then on. Hooker was Smith and Ballin for one game.

Locky didn't need to influence the refs.

He was that brilliant.
That is true, he let his playing do most of the talking.

Oh please turn it up, Locky could not read a match as well as Smith?
Yes that is true, whether you care to admit it or not. Obviously 2 different players in 2 different positions but as Captain for QLD, ask any NSW player which one they hate the most, Lockyer or Smith? Guaranteed it will be Smith. Why? Because he was and still is the best a manipulating a game and getting the best out of his players and at the same time getting away with more with the referees and challenging them more and overall pissing off everyone except QLD supporters.
Lockyer was never that much of an influence for QLD as Captain, the same as Smith will never have the influence Wally had on Origin, but when it comes down to it, Lockyer was great for QLD Captain or not, but you don't really understand the game or are just being biased if you actually think that Lockyer had more bearing as Captain for QLD than Cam Smith did. EOS.
And in case you missed it, when they were both in the team, Locky was captain. Locky was captain in every team he was involved in.
That statement alone shows that you really do not know what you are talking about. You are not looking at the bigger picture comparatively.

What stands out about Smith is how calm he is under pressure. He plays the game at his own pace and constantly deceives the opposition with his lacksadasical approach. One second it looks like he's contemplating what he's going to say in the post match press conference, the next he's darting from dummy and setting his big middle forward one on one.

It's like clockwork really and for that alone he gives everyone around him plenty of confidence.

He's one of the best I've seen, the other is Wally.

I've never seen anybody galvanise an entire fanbase like Wally. He truly was and still is royalty in Queensland.
Well said, could not agree more.

Lockyer was never that much of an influence for QLD as Captain, the same as Smith will never have the influence Wally had on Origin, but when it comes down to it, Lockyer was great for QLD Captain or not, but you don't really understand the game or are just being biased if you actually think that Lockyer had more bearing as Captain for QLD than Cam Smith did. EOS.
So yeah...
That statement alone shows that you really do not know what you are talking about. You are not looking at the bigger picture comparatively.

So yeah...

Seems you are not able to put forth a decent argument, so you just double quote me in an attempt to say something.

Waste of time really maybe would have been better if you actually had a comment to make that was related to the topic.

Seems you are not able to put forth a decent argument, so you just double quote me in an attempt to say something.

Waste of time really maybe would have been better if you actually had a comment to make that was related to the topic.
What, don't like it when your own words come back to bite you?
I believe there's a word for that... starts with a k, ends in a, with an arm in between.

What, don't like it when your own words come back to bite you?
I believe there's a word for that... starts with a k, ends in a, with an arm in between.
My words never came back to bite me, you just disagreed and tried to use my own words against me but failed.
Kudos for trying though, super effort.

With the thread title being about best ever captains, i do think its Cam above anyone tbh. Sure Wally had a huge influence in Origin, but despite being a very good player, i dont think the club side Wally was at the same level the Origin Wally was. Which is why i would say Cam is the better captain. Or am i reading this wrong and the OP is only talking Origin?

Not everyone's had a 5 year salary cap rorting team either.

Nor a superstar spine for the best part of 10 years thanks in part to the salary cap cheating.

Not everyone's had a 5 year salary cap rorting team either.

Nor a superstar spine for the best part of 10 years thanks in part to the salary cap cheating.

Fair points. Despite that though, i still think how he handles himself as a captain is superb despite those other things.

Captaincy is more than skill and influence. It's about how you engage the game, the fans, the sponsors and the media. Bias aside, Locky owns Smith in every department.

Captaincy is more than skill and influence. It's about how you engage the game, the fans, the sponsors and the media. Bias aside, Locky owns Smith in every department.
So this. Then add the genuine humility of the man & you have a true champion.
Locky = GOAT

QLD won't be short of quality coaching options over the next few decades.

Active Now

• BroncoFan94
  • Lurker
  • Strop
  • Bucking Beads
  • Santa
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Fozz
  • Dash
  • Culhwch
  • BroncosAlways
  • TimWhatley
  • Johnny92
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • leon.bott
  • Sproj
  • Harry Sack
  • MrMoore
  • Fitzy
  • FACTHUNT
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.