NEWS Betting adds more entertainment to rugby league’: Inside V’landys’ Vegas plan

Do the NRL control what ads Fox and 9 play? I have to sit through Katy Perry singing about uber eats or whatever food delivery company she is paid by, yet it hasn't made me order anything from them.

And if that person stupidly messages a player about it, there is a process where they can provide that information to the NRL who pass it onto betting agencies who then proceed to ban that person due to responsible gambling.

Of course they do. They se tthe terms of the contract, not Fox. NRL has the product they want. And, he could just not be morally bankrupt and at least come out against this massive social issue we have in this country.

Instead the slimey POS is all for it.

It's clear from your fairly poor arguments that people with addiction don't matter to you. Just because YOU a level headed person isn't taken in, the stats show fairly clearly that this sort of advertising is an issue.

What a load of rubbish. What does increase enjoyment is consistency and leaving the rules alone, it isn’t that hard.
Leaving something alone increases enjoyment? That's just wrong, and shows your problem is with the man, and why you're arguing against him and not the actual statement.

Betting on things increases entertainment value not matter how much you may dislike PVL or gambling. If there was no gambling on horse racing it wouldn't exist.

Of course they do. They se tthe terms of the contract, not Fox. NRL has the product they want. And, he could just not be morally bankrupt and at least come out against this massive social issue we have in this country.

Instead the slimey POS is all for it.

It's clear from your fairly poor arguments that people with addiction don't matter to you. Just because YOU a level headed person isn't taken in, the stats show fairly clearly that this sort of advertising is an issue.
The NRL set the terms of the ads that the broadcasters need to use? The NRL is a business, and it's job is to make money. If you want to be a bleeding heart and think like this, maybe you should be arguing that the NRL should become a non profit charitable organisation?

Leaving something alone increases enjoyment? That's just wrong, and shows your problem is with the man, and why you're arguing against him and not the actual statement.

Betting on things increases entertainment value not matter how much you may dislike PVL or gambling. If there was no gambling on horse racing it wouldn't exist.

The NRL set the terms of the ads that the broadcasters need to use? The NRL is a business, and it's job is to make money. If you want to be a bleeding heart and think like this, maybe you should be arguing that the NRL should become a non profit charitable organisation?

It does not and there is absolutely no empirical evidence anyone can point to to prove it either. There is however an abundance of evidence that gambling addiction can tear families apart and even result in people killing themselves as a result. In fact, there is at least one plane that was bought down because investigators found that a pilot was in so much gambling debt, he likely felt this was the way out of it and deliberately crashed it.

I freely admit I don’t like the guy and will make no apology for that, he is ruining rugby league so of course I’m going to criticise stupid decisions he makes and he makes them all the time and this is one of them. Gambling adds nothing to sport.

Who the heck watches a game of something purely so they can just gamble on something for the sake of it? I’ll tell you who - gambling addicts. This guy is actively promoting feeding gambling addiction. Absolutely disgraceful and your defense of it is the same.

I get you like to try and think you are cool by being ‘edgy’ and contrarian, this however is just garbage and to defend it says a lot about you sadly.

It does not and there is absolutely no empirical evidence anyone can point to to prove it either. There is however an abundance of evidence that gambling addiction can tear families apart and even result in people killing themselves as a result. In fact, there is at least one plane that was bought down because investigators found that a pilot was in so much gambling debt, he likely felt this was the way out of it and deliberately crashed it.

I freely admit I don’t like the guy and will make no apology for that, he is ruining rugby league so of course I’m going to criticise stupid decisions he makes and he makes them all the time and this is one of them. Gambling adds nothing to sport.

Who the heck watches a game of something purely so they can just gamble on something for the sake of it? I’ll tell you who - gambling addicts. This guy is actively promoting feeding gambling addiction. Absolutely disgraceful and your defense of it is the same.

I get you like to try and think you are cool by being ‘edgy’ and contrarian, this however is just garbage and to defend it says a lot about you sadly.
What evidence outside of anecdotal can be provided when it comes to enjoyment factors?

I'm not saying gambling isn't a societal issue, this isn't what I'm arguing at all.

But you are also just making a bunch of blanket statements on gambling, but they are just emotional and wrong. I know plenty of people who have a punt on things, and will have a glance at it even if they aren't interested. Guess what, it's the same for people who do their work tipping comps, some people will watch certain games, or get more enjoyment from a game because they tipped it, and the same again for things like SuperCoach.

What is it exactly I'm defending? I've simply stated PVL is correct in saying gambling adds an extra level of enjoyment for a lot of people, normal people and gambling addicts included. It is not the NRL's job to look after societal issues, leave that to the government.

So does alcohol. So do many things. It's not the NRL's responsibility to make you not gamble your entire pay. That's what the government is trying to do with all the new responsible gambling requirements on betting companies.
Everyone has a responsibility, if the NRL is sponsored by something the majority find to be negative they are essentially dragging all they employ through it.

It's like the free speech argument but forgetting some speech can have consequences and I'm not talking about government crackdowns and the like but the public, the same public who in this case funds the product.

I find it quite a strange thing so many people think gambling doesn't improve enjoyment AND blame the NRL for it.

Quite simply, I can't think of a single sport or activity where gambling can't improved the experience. None of you have been on an Oates first try scorer bet, and got the joy of the try, and the joy of a few hundred bucks in the sportsbet account? When does personal responsibility as an adult come into consideration?

Think of how much money Vlando can get with Vape advertising???

I find it quite a strange thing so many people think gambling doesn't improve enjoyment AND blame the NRL for it.

Quite simply, I can't think of a single sport or activity where gambling can't improved the experience. None of you have been on an Oates first try scorer bet, and got the joy of the try, and the joy of a few hundred bucks in the sportsbet account? When does personal responsibility as an adult come into consideration?

I'm not blaming the NRL. You seem overly emotional about this.

Are you saying that NRL is better with constant gambling ads, or are you just an addict that needs the reminder to have a punt?

I'm not blaming the NRL. You seem overly emotional about this.

Are you saying that NRL is better with constant gambling ads, or are you just an addict that needs the reminder to have a punt?
Emotional? I'm not the one that's been name calling or attacking anybody's character like others in this thread.

I'm saying gambling improves the overall experience, that's it. I haven't said anything other than this.

Then I think you have a problem.

But regardless, my experience is this.....my Brother in Law likes a flutter and got me into it a few years ago. It added absolutely zero enjoyment for me. Sometimes it took away enjoyment, and added stress and anxiety, due to losing.

I stopped having a bet after a few months and haven't missed it. It adds nothing, well nothing good at least.

If you need to bet to watch a game, you're watching the wrong game (and that's a corporate, generic 'you', not saying you need it BooKhaki)

Emotional? I'm not the one that's been name calling or attacking anybody's character like others in this thread.

I'm saying gambling improves the overall experience, that's it. I haven't said anything other than this.
Taking the emotion etc out of it, that statement is simply not true. It might improve the experience for some, but it's definitely not a universal truth.

We haven’t even reached the peak of this issue, wait until 10 years from now when the 2nd generation sports gamblers rears its ugly head. Watching footy with dad with him throwing a couple of bets on his phone after the adds keep reminding him to do so…and then riding a player the get over the line to make him a $500 right in front of his or her 10 year old.

Going to get ugly.

Active Now

• Organix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.