NEWS Betting adds more entertainment to rugby league’: Inside V’landys’ Vegas plan

He’s gonna go down in history like those doctors who used to say “smoking is good for your health”

what a clown.

I fKing hate gambling ads, my 10 year olds parrot the gambling vernacular, they can recite sportsbet adds and talk about the footy odds…..and neither me or their father partake in any form of gambling.

Emotional? I'm not the one that's been name calling or attacking anybody's character like others in this thread.

I'm saying gambling improves the overall experience, that's it. I haven't said anything other than this.
Improved for who? Certainly not most people.

Gambling degrades the overall experience with the constant bullshit odds talk that harm the products integrity. So many fabricated talking points that are really just subtle advertisements.

Emotional? I'm not the one that's been name calling or attacking anybody's character like others in this thread.

I'm saying gambling improves the overall experience, that's it. I haven't said anything other than this.
You just call people pedo's and criticize their jobs when you disagree with them you absolute fuckwit.
I cant beleive literally everyone here hasn't ignored your stupid ass already.

As for everyone else, im fucking stoked you are all on the same page on this topic, and i legit feel the warm and fuzzies reading how much you dislike this gambling push from Vlandys.

The bloke is a snake oil salesman who's sole objective is to make him, and his cronies in the top 1% as much money as possible off the average fan who works 9 - 5 busting their ass to make ends meet.

Scumbag who does NOT love the game, he loves the revenue he can milk out of every last one of us.

Oh, and back on ignore you go Bukaki you clown.

Gambling degrades the overall experience with the constant bullshit odds talk that harm the products integrity. So many fabricated talking points that are really just subtle advertisements.

Not to mention we aren't worried about kids drinking booze at games, but we sure as hell should be concerned about kids gambling. During the Cows v Broncos a year or two ago I had four or five kids behind me that looked to be between 10-13 who were betting during the game and using betting vernacular to discuss the play (in addition to pretty appalling language otherwise).

Clearly using their parents apps or something but that is fucked. I watch games as a neutral because I enjoy football and you get amazing upsets like Tigers vs Panthers the other day - I don't need money on that to enjoy the outcome. Kids shouldn't be combining an interest in the game with an interest in gambling.

Don't want it to come across as moral panic or whatever, consenting adults can do as they wish, but seriously, gambling is fucking dumb and rugby league relying on it for income is sad.

I love a punt and even I hate gambling ads.

It's everywhere as well. I listen to Sen at work during the day and in every block of ads, there's one about gambling. Minimum. Their lip service "gamble responsibly" lines are a load of shit as well. Example, the one for 'Dabble' talks about the joys of gambling socially with your friends etc etc and to "go on, have a dabble" all delivered in a very enthusiastic tone. It's followed by a gamble responsibly type speech delivered in, dare I say it, a sad tone.

You just call people pedo's and criticize their jobs when you disagree with them you absolute fuckwit.

As for everyone else, im fucking stoked you are all on the same page on this topic, and i legit feel the warm and fuzzies reading how much you dislike this gambling push from Vlandys.

The bloke is a snake oil salesman who's sole objective is to make him, and his cronies in the top 1% as much money as possible off the average fan who works 9 - 5 busting their ass to make ends meet.

Scumbag who does NOT love the game, he loves the revenue he can milk out of every last one of us.

Not to mention that along with the new regime came the endless Nable promos/boxing/dog racing promos and we can all agree that shit sucks so hard. They even cut post match coverage once to show a fucking dog race **** me.

I love a punt and even I hate gambling ads.

It's everywhere as well. I listen to Sen at work during the day and in every block of ads, there's one about gambling. Minimum. Their lip service "gamble responsibly" lines are a load of shit as well. Example, the one for 'Dabble' talks about the joys of gambling socially with your friends etc etc and to "go on, have a dabble" all delivered in a very enthusiastic tone. It's followed by a gamble responsibly type speech delivered in, dare I say it, a sad tone.
I hear you, when its quiet at work i listen to podcasts and there is back to back to back sportsbet ads and it boils my blood every time.

Bookhaki does have a point. I don’t gamble on the footy but I become more invested in who wins games I wouldn’t care about if I wasn’t in a tipping comp. I imagine it’s the same for punters or people in their fantasy leagues etc.

Bookhaki does have a point. I don’t gamble on the footy but I become more invested in who wins games I wouldn’t care about if I wasn’t in a tipping comp. I imagine it’s the same for punters or people in their fantasy leagues etc.
The big issue for me is how hard they shove it down people's throats.
Indiscriminately as well, rich, poor, young, old, they don't care so long as you gamble.
You CANNOT watch a single game of RL without being bombarded with gambling advertising.
Kids watch RL and they are heavily exposed to gambling, a highly addictive and dangerous pastime for many.
The ethical and moral ramifications of heavy gambling advertisements reaching children and young adults cannot be understated and is downright evil, no different to advertising smoking or booze to kids.

Has anyone here who has actually bet online for sports, gone through the process to take money out?

Leaving something alone increases enjoyment? That's just wrong, and shows your problem is with the man, and why you're arguing against him and not the actual statement.

Betting on things increases entertainment value not matter how much you may dislike PVL or gambling. If there was no gambling on horse racing it wouldn't exist.

The NRL set the terms of the ads that the broadcasters need to use? The NRL is a business, and it's job is to make money. If you want to be a bleeding heart and think like this, maybe you should be arguing that the NRL should become a non profit charitable organisation?
My mate bets on everything and spends more time with his nose in the phone than actually watching the game. Then when he loses he blames everyone but himself. It only increases enjoyment if you enjoy gambling, not of the actual sport.

Then I think you have a problem.

But regardless, my experience is this.....my Brother in Law likes a flutter and got me into it a few years ago. It added absolutely zero enjoyment for me. Sometimes it took away enjoyment, and added stress and anxiety, due to losing.

I stopped having a bet after a few months and haven't missed it. It adds nothing, well nothing good at least.

If you need to bet to watch a game, you're watching the wrong game (and that's a corporate, generic 'you', not saying you need it BooKhaki)
Again, I'm not arguing that gambling can be harmful or a problem.
Taking the emotion etc out of it, that statement is simply not true. It might improve the experience for some, but it's definitely not a universal truth.
Not everything is universal. Of course it won't add value for some, but it absolutely adds entertainment for a lot of people.

I'd argue it would be most people. And again, I'm not talking about ads, or programs or anything. I'm simply saying, betting on something improves entertainment and engagement for a lot of people.

Are you the same guy that said I was going on ignore a few days ago? That didn't last long. If you get this emotional about reading things you don't like, the internet might not be for you, chief.
Not to mention that along with the new regime came the endless Nable promos/boxing/dog racing promos and we can all agree that shit sucks so hard. They even cut post match coverage once to show a fucking dog race **** me.
I'll gladly ban all gambling on NRL if they ban Matt Nable from all voiceover work.
My mate bets on everything and spends more time with his nose in the phone than actually watching the game. Then when he loses he blames everyone but himself. It only increases enjoyment if you enjoy gambling, not of the actual sport.
Sounds like your mate has a problem. My general experience is whacking on some FTS and SGM bets, and I will check them at half time if I don't remember the legs. But I'm an adult, I guess not everyone over 18 is.

Has anyone here who has actually bet online for sports, gone through the process to take money out?
It's pretty simple. Most bookies will have your money into your account the following day. Sportsbet even do withdrawals over the weekends, IIRC.

How many alcohol ads do the alcoholics need to sit through with a live sitting of sports now days though? None? Nearly none?

Compare that to the gambling addicts who have to listen to something about gambling nearly every second breath.
Dial your transistor radio into Colour Radio 4IP to see where this is heading.

Trigger warning if you can't handle praise of Sir Peter V'Landys (first 10 minutes):

Active Now

• Mighty Bronx
  • bert_lifts
  • simplythebest
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Brotherdu
  • Fozz
  • Strop
  • Culhwch
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Organix
  • Wolfie
  • Browny
  • Scorchie
  • Justwin
  • Galah
  • Tim K
  • winslow_wong
  • Allo
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fatboy
... and 34 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.