BHQ Loathed

17. Peter Wallace

WWJx5ga.jpg

2008-2013
Position: Halfback, Hooker
Games: 139
Tries: 20
Highest Vote: 1 (Mr Fourex)

Patty Carrigan, impressive result for the guy, for someone who doesn’t have the history yet of some other finished career Broncs but he’ll get there by the time he has done as a future captain and genuine gun player.

As for Wallace, anyone who can literally bust a nut for their team, regardless of who that team is, just can’t hate him. I will always remember when Locky was recovering from injury, Wallace took us to a fantastic season start.

Given all those years we put up with Milford stinking it up, can’t delay enough nice things about Wallace in comparison.

I might be wrong with how I remember it, but I was really excited when we signed Peter Wallace. I was in Phuket in 2007 on a family holiday for a wedding, in some dingy internet cafe trying desperately to find out the result of our match against the Panthers. This little cheeky ranga nabbed a field-goal to win it for Penrith.

Low and behold, we announced his signing a few months later.

My recollection is that his first two or three seasons at Brisbane were really impressive - he was that halfback we had been crying out for. The perfect foil for Lockyer. He had an astute kicking game, and was also a capable ball player, though not outstanding.

After those first few seasons though, I think he just went a bit stale. I know I went off him a bit, and I think the general consensus amongst supporters shifted as well. My memory is hazy though, so I might be wrong.

TL;DR he was pretty handy for a few seasons, and then he wasn't.

First player that was in my top 10 to come up with Patty, I suspect he will be right near the top the next time a similar countdown happens as he is still in the early stages of his career.

I might be wrong with how I remember it, but I was really excited when we signed Peter Wallace. I was in Phuket in 2007 on a family holiday for a wedding, in some dingy internet cafe trying desperately to find out the result of our match against the Panthers. This little cheeky ranga nabbed a field-goal to win it for Penrith.

Low and behold, we announced his signing a few months later.

My recollection is that his first two or three seasons at Brisbane were really impressive - he was that halfback we had been crying out for. The perfect foil for Lockyer. He had an astute kicking game, and was also a capable ball player, though not outstanding.

After those first few seasons though, I think he just went a bit stale. I know I went off him a bit, and I think the general consensus amongst supporters shifted as well. My memory is hazy though, so I might be wrong.

TL;DR he was pretty handy for a few seasons, and then he wasn't.
From memory, whenever PWal started to show some serious form, he'd get a decent injury and then be out for a month or two. Once he got back it was back to square one. Frustrating player but he did have his glimpses.

I had Wallace pretty high as well. He was so bog average for so long and just refused to move on when everyone (including himself unless he's an idiot) knew his time at Brisbane was up. He might have begun his time at the club with the intention of being a foil for Locky in the pursuit of a premiership, but by the end it was all about the money and clinging on to his comfortable position in a then competitive side.

I wouldn't describe it as "hate", because he was never a grub or a bad character, more a strong dislike from years of frustration.

PWal made origin based on his Brisbane form. We have short memories sometimes!

PWal made origin based on his Brisbane form. We have short memories sometimes!

He played Origin in his first two seasons at the Broncos. I don't think anyone disputes his form during that period, except maybe @Mr Fourex.

Very few players have made me as proud to be a Broncos supporter like Patty did during last year's Origin series. He was unreal and after missing out on Flegs, Herbie and Fifita his re-signing was a quality silver lining.

My first exposure to him was in the U/20s in 2016. The team was going through a rebuild and had a lot of new faces. One player you couldn't miss was Carrigan - he was in everything and played like he was the captain. He'd just turned 18, coming off the bench but he'd just take control. They kept playing him off the bench but it got to the point they were wasting time and he forced his way into the #13.

Despite predominately coming off the bench, Carrigan took home the Broncos NYC forward of the year and you couldn't argue it. The following year, not only was he the Broncos best forward in the NYC, but he was the best prop forward in the entire competition. The Broncos were meant to be done and dusted when Payne Haas suffered an ankle injury, but Carrigan went into beast mode and was unreal.

Not only was he the best forward in the competition, during that run he was the best player in the competition. I've seen plenty of quality NYC forwards come through at the Broncos - Moose, Tariq, Hala, Jai, Haas - none of them were as good as Carrigan during that period.

It's taken him awhile to make the same impact at NRL. I don't think people give him enough credit for his 2020, in one of the worst ever team performances I've seen, he was one of the few players who could genuinely hold their head high. He played beyond his years and the Broncos would have been finals bound if 15 other players put in.

Unfortunately he had a slow start to 2021 and a few on here dragged him for it. Usually I ark up when people are being unfair on players but I knew I wouldn't have to with Carrigan. I saw the exact same people who went after Jai go after Carrigan and watched history repeat itself - it was fantastic.

I think I only voted for one current player and they have a few more runs on the board. However, Patty is definitely deserving, and he'll wind up in my Top 5 by the time he's retired.

Yes, even above Tate.

I was so desperate for the Broncos to sign a halfback that I was over the moon when the club signed Wallace.

Granted, it was largely based on two plays
(1) THAT field goal
(2) A conversion from the sideline when the referee refused his request to abort the shot at goal.

A halfback and a goal-kicker? Sold!

I didn't realise just how vital he was before that 2008 season. In 2007 the Broncos really struggled for shape unless Lockyer was involved. Locky couldn't be everywhere, so often the defence would just follow Lockyer around so on set starts the Broncos would really struggle for points.

When Wallace came in, suddenly it unlocked the left-side and it made players like Karmichael Hunt more lethal because he could do that second man play on both fringes. If it didn't work down the left, you've now got space on the right for Hodges & Kemp.

If nothing else he helped make the Broncos a more exciting side. Finally they could promote the football, so despite finishing 5th and being kno- I won't even go there - it's still largely considered one of the Broncos better non-premiership years by fans.

Wallace was one of the best halfbacks in the competition until that 2009 Origin series. Going through that experience dented his confidence and it took 18 months for him to re-discover just how good he can be on a consistent basis. Brisbane had one of their best regular seasons in 2011 and a lot of that came down to how well both he and Lockyer got the team around the park. In the clutch, you could always trust Wallace to hold his nerve and that's what fans admired about him.

Fans never really forgave him for that 18 month patch where he was struggling for consistensy. He actually started 2012 well and was a big reason why the Broncos were one of the form teams in the competition. As time wore on, teams cottoned onto the Broncos style of play and both parties just needed a change.

As it happened, the Panthers made an equiry about Wallace and made it clear they wanted him to be their #7 after missing out on JT. The club actually refused to let him go, so he missed out on that contract until they had a change of heart and let him go. The Broncos really did him dirty, which was unfair on him since he was such a good servant for the club.

I think he went out on a high at the club. In what was virtually a dead rubber I believe he put in a trademark cross-field kick that found grass and wouldn't you know it - Corey Oates was there. I'm pretty sure that was Wallace and it felt like a passing of the torch in what was a gutsy win by the Broncos.

Active Now

• BroncsNBundy
  • phoenix
  • Bronx48
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • Fozz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Foordy
  • bert_lifts
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • HarryAllan7
  • Lurker
  • Financeguy
  • Mustafur
  • Hoof Hearted
  • winslow_wong
  • Jedhead
  • KateBroncos1812
  • FACTHUNT
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.