BHQ Countdown: Most Loved/Least Liked Players Reveal thread

It's the Bookhaki happy hour (although, I agree with his choices)

BHQ Loved

16. Karmichael Hunt

karmichael-hunt-getty.jpg

2004-2009
Position: Fullback, Wing
Games: 126
Tries: 53
2011 BHQ Greatest Rank: 30
Highest Vote: 4 (Bookhaki)

BHQ Loathed

16. Sam Thaiday

8dBKOAx.jpg

Highest Vote: 1 (Bookhaki)

Very few players have made me as proud to be a Broncos supporter like Patty did during last year's Origin series. He was unreal and after missing out on Flegs, Herbie and Fifita his re-signing was a quality silver lining.

My first exposure to him was in the U/20s in 2016. The team was going through a rebuild and had a lot of new faces. One player you couldn't miss was Carrigan - he was in everything and played like he was the captain. He'd just turned 18, coming off the bench but he'd just take control. They kept playing him off the bench but it got to the point they were wasting time and he forced his way into the #13.

Despite predominately coming off the bench, Carrigan took home the Broncos NYC forward of the year and you couldn't argue it. The following year, not only was he the Broncos best forward in the NYC, but he was the best prop forward in the entire competition. The Broncos were meant to be done and dusted when Payne Haas suffered an ankle injury, but Carrigan went into beast mode and was unreal.

Not only was he the best forward in the competition, during that run he was the best player in the competition. I've seen plenty of quality NYC forwards come through at the Broncos - Moose, Tariq, Hala, Jai, Haas - none of them were as good as Carrigan during that period.

It's taken him awhile to make the same impact at NRL. I don't think people give him enough credit for his 2020, in one of the worst ever team performances I've seen, he was one of the few players who could genuinely hold their head high. He played beyond his years and the Broncos would have been finals bound if 15 other players put in.

Unfortunately he had a slow start to 2021 and a few on here dragged him for it. Usually I ark up when people are being unfair on players but I knew I wouldn't have to with Carrigan. I saw the exact same people who went after Jai go after Carrigan and watched history repeat itself - it was fantastic.

I think I only voted for one current player and they have a few more runs on the board. However, Patty is definitely deserving, and he'll wind up in my Top 5 by the time he's retired.

Yes, even above Tate.

He was sensational in 2017- I remember against the Dragons he brought up 300m and 3000m for the season. He was just about that team and whatever they needed. Ugly runs.

Then Wynnum he took straight to ISC started off the bench in 2018 but Wynnum had to start him.

Wynnum lost to Souths 40-6 in his 5th game and Carrigan took up every hit up no one else wanted and made 124m. His debut too Pride had Clifford and Carney running traffic at him in terrible conditions and he more than handled it.

Then Qld U20 captain, Hodges didn't name a captain and wanted to wait until the week unfolded and pick his captain- it was clear by Tuesday it had to be Carrigan. That's a team with Grant and Tino in and Carrigan stood out.

He's the youngest player I have ever thought will captain his club and state one day just something about him from 2017 on.

Hunt was one of the few players on my Loathed list.

Loved Hunt until he fucked the club over with not telling us what the **** he was doing until the last second. Loved Thaiday until he just wouldn't fucking leave.
Completely this. Hunt really fucked the club, but before that he was like what Carrigan is to us now. Future captain, for sure with us forever, everyone adored him and he just leaves.

Thaiday cracking the shits that he wasn't starting yet didn't deserve to, says he will go for North Queensland post-career. Got shitty at Mal because he didn't get a call that he wasn't picked for Australia even though he was nowhere near good enough for selection. Playing the goofy guy is cool when you back it up on the field with good performances. Cared more about playing for Queensland than for Brisbane.

I wonder what the club would have looked like in those years after Lockyer if Hunt stayed around, he was the natural player to progress into that sort of role.

Took the money and even to this day, he's still trying to take the money. I don't rate him at all as a coach, I think he just knows that's where the money is at if he can crack it.

Haha is that Adam Blair? That's hilarious.

Also, I am REALLY surprised Hunt is that high up. He kind of screwed the club over when he left. Great player when he was us but he didn't become a career Bronco, to me, he is kind of similar to Folau in that way. Plus, moving him from fullback for Hodges in my opinion (and of course due to injury) was that master stroke that won us the '06 premiership. Would we have won it if Hunt was still at FB? I'm not sure, Hodges was a freak back there.

I wonder what the club would have looked like in those years after Lockyer if Hunt stayed around, he was the natural player to progress into that sort of role.

Took the money and even to this day, he's still trying to take the money. I don't rate him at all as a coach, I think he just knows that's where the money is at if he can crack it.

Two games in you don’t rate him as a coach?

Guy
Two games in you don’t rate him as a coach?
is simply not a leader anyone should look up to. Threw his teammates and old friends under the bus at the suns. I don’t think i could take instructions from that kind of team player, as a coach.

He's not thinking about forging a career in the QLD Cup.

If he wanted money he’d be going to the Broncos or Dolphins and asking for an assistants role. Not standing at Davies Park three nights a week earning nothing and earning even less last year coaching Meninga.

He’s started at the very bottom. Hardly entitled money keen behaviour.

If he wanted money he’d be going to the Broncos or Dolphins and asking for an assistants role. Not standing at Davies Park three nights a week earning nothing and earning even less last year coaching Meninga.

He’s started at the very bottom. Hardly entitled money keen behaviour.

You think either club would give him that role? Given he spent so many years away from Rugby League?

Should say too- Souths is full time like every club so I’d say probably 70-80k a year given Souths have no money.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • RolledOates
  • kiwibronco
  • Fozz
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.