Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Allan LANGER

• Jonathon THURSTON

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you were going to drop it off not post it. Ahhh how much alcamahole that coin is now going to absorb.

Yeah i was gunna go over but I thought....nup to tired hahahahahaha

And LANGER IS GOD /thread

Hammo said:
Lewis is god, langer is his son

Disagree. Lewis was awesome for Qld, but Joey was the most complete footballer we've ever seen and, thus, is also god.

Fishy fishy fishy fishy....

Aeetee said:
hahaha I bet they did too....
speaking of which i found Chayse Danger Jones and sent him the mark coin today. He'll wet himself when he opens it up hahah

Is this Chayse Danger Jones around my age by any chance?

mick! said:
Hammo said:
Lewis is god, langer is his son

Disagree. Lewis was awesome for Qld, but Joey was the most complete footballer we've ever seen and, thus, is also god.

Fishy fishy fishy fishy....

Yeah I completely agree, sure Langer is amazing and was particularly good for QLD but Joey has every single facet in his repertoire. He was dangerous running the ball, had every kick known to man, tackled like a machine, did the big things at the big moments and when he got to play halfback for NSW tore us apart on a number of occasions. We were very lucky Kimmorley was the Australian halfback (due to his lovefest with Chris Andersen) and was therefore given the NSW job ahead of Joey who had to settle for bit parts at hooker and off the bench. He is the best I have seen quite easily, Langer was great and I love the guy but he just couldn't do everything as well as Joey did especially when you consider Joey played for a club side that was no where near what Langers Broncos sides were on paper. Lewis's best was before my time so I cannot call him the greatest I have seen I probably can't do him the justice some of you oldies can [icon_wink

The things I saw Allan Langer do over the years outweigh what Andrew Johns achieved. Langer won 4 Premierships as Broncos captain, and dominated the game at State and International level for more than a decade. Johns has nowhere near that resume. Not to mention Langer coming into Origin in 1987 from the Queensland Cup, when nobody said he could do it. Well he bloody well did it, in fact was Man of the Match in the decider!! Then there was 2001, more than 2 years after his last game on Aussie soil, he comes back and produces one of the best performances in Origin history given what was at stake and the pressure he was under. In fact he and Wally Lewis are the only players in Origin to be named Man of the Match more than 3 times.

Langer could kick, long and short. I've never seen a more dangerous player close to the try line. And nearly all of his long kicks found open space, fullbacks had a devil of a time getting to his kicks on the full. And I don't care what people say, the bloke could tackle.

I wasn't privileged to witness most of Wally Lewis's career, but obviously know he is the greatest ever. But in my years of watching Rugby League, Langer was and still is the best I've seen.

Joey hurt big guys consistently in defense and had a better long kicking game (IMO of course) than Langer and a short one on par. I also rate Joey's passing game slightly higher than Alf's mainly due to his long passing being so consistently good. People forget how good Joey was running the ball he scored 80 tries in 249 games for Newcastle and he was also an amazing goal kicker, Langer was just as good maybe slightly better in this area scoring 100 in 258. Joey won 3 Dally M's, Provan Summons 5 times, Golden Boot 2 times, Rep player of the year once, 4 MOTM's in Origin, player of the tournament at the 95 world cup as a kid and is the all time leading point scorer in the games history. Both great but I (and many league "so-called" experts agree) Johns was better.

Frank the Tank said:
Jebadude said:
In fact he and Wally Lewis are the only players in Origin to be named Man of the Match more than 3 times.

[quote="FCB BB AKA MB":123w0jsq]Joey won 3 Dally M's, Provan Summons 5 times, Golden Boot 2 times, Rep player of the year once, 4 MOTM's in Origin, player of the tournament at the 95 world cup as a kid and is the all time leading point scorer in the games history. Both great but I (and many league "so-called" experts agree) Johns was better.
ooh whos wrong?[/quote:123w0jsq]

Given. Johns was pure genius, But Langer and Lewis together was like watching pure flowing gold. They complemented each other so well. Can anyone name a partner like that for Johns? No wai!

MB...did you miss Mick's "fishy, fishy, fishy"??

Frank the Tank said:
Jebadude said:
In fact he and Wally Lewis are the only players in Origin to be named Man of the Match more than 3 times.

[quote="FCB BB AKA MB":33lgivyb]Joey won 3 Dally M's, Provan Summons 5 times, Golden Boot 2 times, Rep player of the year once, 4 MOTM's in Origin, player of the tournament at the 95 world cup as a kid and is the all time leading point scorer in the games history. Both great but I (and many league "so-called" experts agree) Johns was better.
ooh whos wrong?[/quote:33lgivyb]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Langer said:
At the time of his retirement, Langer had made the most appearances as captain for the Brisbane Broncos and was one of only two players to have been named man-of-the-match in a State of Origin game more than three times (the other being Wally Lewis).

[icon_shru

State of Origin man-of-the-match: 4 (Game 2, 1996; Game 1, 2002; Game 2, 2003 and Game 2, 2005)

Forget that for a sec; mthis is Hammo's truth;

At international level, Johns was better than Langer. At club level it is debateable...I mean Johns has more MoM's, Golden Boots, etc. Langer has more premierships and was the nucleus (sp) of the 92-93 and 97-98 Broncos.

At Origin level, Langer stand head and shoulders above Johns. No doubt about it.

Jeb, that says at the time of his retirement which was 2002, by the end of Joey's career he had 4 MOTM's as well. If Johns got the opportunities in terms of appearances Langer got for QLD he would have won more MOTM's than Langer especially considering quite a few of his Origin appearances were out of position due to the repeatedly ridiculous selection of Noddy at 7. I don't doubt what Langer did one bit he is easily the second best halfback I have ever seen but Johns was something else entirely the guy had everything and would have won as many premierships as Langer if you put him in Langer's club sides (maybe more). I am sure you will disagree but thats life lol.

Frank the Tank said:
ahhh remember the rumours of joey coming to the broncos for a while there? i hated the guy, but hes at least the equal best player ive ever seen.

i hated him because he was too good :laugh:

IIRC, he actually confirmed in an interview (after he retired i think) that he seriously considered coming to the Broncos at one stage because he wanted to play under Bennett.

bfoord said:
Frank the Tank said:
ahhh remember the rumours of joey coming to the broncos for a while there? i hated the guy, but hes at least the equal best player ive ever seen.

IIRC, he actually confirmed in an interview (after he retired i think) that he seriously considered coming to the Broncos at one stage because he wanted to play under Bennett.

Yeah he actually went house hunting (allegedly) in Brisbane because he was minutes away from signing with us. Would not have been a drought between 01-06 if we had got him lol.

bfoord said:
Frank the Tank said:

And Bennett told him to stay at the Knight I think. I'd imagine we would have won at least 1 more premiership if he came over. But then Lockyer might have never moved to 5/8th, and we might have seen Hunt play for another club...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• jd87
  • BruiserMk1
  • BroncosAlways
  • GCBRONCO
  • Strop
  • Battler
  • Mustafur
  • Wolfie
  • Skathen
  • Justwin
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • winslow_wong
  • Volvo Driver
  • Fatboy
  • RodF
  • Mighty Bronx
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Brotherdu
  • Xzei
... and 43 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.