Billy Slater should be our next coach and the sooner the better.

most successful State of Origin coach in history

sucked as an NRL coach. they are two very different ball games.

Hell, Craig Bellamy is another example. one of the best NRL coaches of all time failed as an Origin coach
Good point. But Wayne Bennett, Gus Gould, Graham Murray and even the old Knights coach whose name evades me and Fatty's records might show they can be successful too.

Hell, Craig Bellamy is another example. one of the best NRL coaches of all time failed as an Origin coach

Difference is, Slater is actually smart and can coach.

He didn't invest one of the greatest rugby league teams in the history of the game and used tacticians that created the gameplan for him.

Good point. But Wayne Bennett, Gus Gould, Graham Murray and even the old Knights coach whose name evades me and Fatty's records might show they can be successful too.

they all received a hell of a lot more of a coaching apprenticeship than 3 state of origin games.

they all received a hell of a lot more of a coaching apprenticeship than 3 state of origin games.
Well Fatty never. I'm just looking past Kevvie into the future and I'm finding it difficult to identify someone with the right footy brain as our next coach. I think Slater fits the bill and if we dither for too long he'll be off to the Storm to continue their dominance.

I'd venture to say we all dread even the thought.

I'm assuming it was also our worst ever defensive record at 624pts conceded... although the record may have been saved by only playing 20 games, but still conceding 31.2pt per game, which is probably our worst ever over a season.. and probably our worst differential ever at -356pts (-17.8pts per game).

It was basically on par with wests magpies back in the 90's... and they were fucking atrocious
Yep. Both club records as well by some distance. It was a season of futility which I hope is never rivalled again in my lifetime. Such a bizaare year with the emergence of COVID as well. It seems like such a long time ago despite it basically being yesterday.

Difference is, Slater is actually smart and can coach.

He didn't invest one of the greatest rugby league teams in the history of the game and used tacticians that created the gameplan for him.

a lot of the credit for the game plans in this years series actually went to Josh Hannay, not Slater.

Slater also had one of the best football brains there has ever been on his coaching staff.

pushing for Billy Slater is classic BHQ ... creaming themselves over the "next" big thing with very limited sample size to judge on. and if history is any guide, then Billy would not live up to the hype, like many of the other next big things BHQ has creamed over

Well Fatty never. I'm just looking past Kevvie into the future and I'm finding it difficult to identify someone with the right footy brain as our next coach. I think Slater fits the bill and if we dither for too long he'll be off to the Storm to continue their dominance.

I'd venture to say we all dread even the thought.

I don't think Fatty ever coached in the NRL. he was more your Fittler/Meninga Origin coach.

besides we shouldn't be looking past Kevvie just yet. he tas taken us from 14th to the top 8, which has exceeded most peoples expectations.

We get Carrigan and Herbie back in round 25, which will be a big big help. IMO we can beat any of the teams from 5-8, so week 2 of the finals is achievable

I don't think Fatty ever coached in the NRL. he was more your Fittler/Meninga Origin coach.

besides we shouldn't be looking past Kevvie just yet. he tas taken us from 14th to the top 8, which has exceeded most peoples expectations.

We get Carrigan and Herbie back in round 25, which will be a big big help. IMO we can beat any of the teams from 5-8, so week 2 of the finals is achievable
He only did the 1995 series didn’t he? When super league was a thing.

Correct. He wanted to do '96 as well but some Bronco players (ie. Renouf, Alfie) stated that they wouldn't participate if Fatty was retained.

Let’s not overstate Meninga’s success. He had a team of superstars, and Michael Hagan.

The fact that there are people on this page happy with 8th shows just how much this club has fallen.

He's got one of the most talented rosters at his disposal, good leadership, one of the best halfbacks in the game, sitting in 4th for good chunks of the season, and we're going to be finishing 8th because of results going our way.

That's not as good as you make it sound.

No, he did 1996-97 as well.

Brisbane players weren't happy to be coached under him and it split the camp.

Slater will be a top coach if he goes down that path. But if we were gonna change it should be for Flanagan, he's one of the better coaches going around and runs rings around some current NRL coaches.

Fair call.
I do think Billy is a genuine diamond though.
It's only my opinion....
He's a winner, he's brilliant.

It's me. My recollection is not what it used to be. He did indeed coach for 3 years with '97 being the season with 2 competitions.
Mandela affect. I was almost certain he only did the one year.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Skathen
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Gympie devil
  • vertigo
  • Wolfie
  • Spoon
  • Sproj
  • broncs30
  • kman
  • The Don
  • Lozza
  • NSW stables
  • Cavalo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Rowdy124
  • LittleDavey
  • Skyblues87
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.