PLAYER Billy Walters

What role should Billy Walters play?

• Total voters
I can't be bothered to read through the last few pages of dribble, so I'll just share my opinion on the matter.

Billy Walters sucks.
Jake Turpin sucks.
Cory Paix sucks slightly less, but still sucks.
Tyson Smoothy probably sucks.

We've put all of our eggs in the Mozer basket, if he isn't pushing for a first grade debut by half way through next season we're in big trouble.

To be fair, theshed did say since Kevie took over, so since 21. I just chose this off-season since it's the first one where Donaghy/Ikin were available and Reynolds was clearly the priority signing of 21.

Graham was on a train and trial but the Dolphins announced him on a development deal. I believe he had a serious injury set-back towards the end of the year so he may not see that much football in '23. If he kills it in '24 though.

Here's a list of dummy halves there were available for 2022.

Josh Cook
Jayden Berrell
Aaron Booth
Tyran Wishart
Temple Kalepo
Brendan Hands
Mitch Rein
Moses Mbye
Connor Watson

And a few dummy half into backrow converts:
Cameron McInness
Karl Lawton
Siliva Havili

You'd have to say Connor is the only full-time hooker who had a better season than Billy. Even then, he pulled a Brandon Smith to go to the Roosters...
Thanks Pete. You got most of them but keep in mind Super League too. Guys like Seggy, Parcell, and Levi.

To be fair, theshed did say since Kevie took over, so since 21. I just chose this off-season since it's the first one where Donaghy/Ikin were available and Reynolds was clearly the priority signing of 21.

Graham was on a train and trial but the Dolphins announced him on a development deal. I believe he had a serious injury set-back towards the end of the year so he may not see that much football in '23. If he kills it in '24 though.

Here's a list of dummy halves there were available for 2022.

Josh Cook
Jayden Berrell
Aaron Booth
Tyran Wishart
Temple Kalepo
Brendan Hands
Mitch Rein
Moses Mbye
Connor Watson

And a few dummy half into backrow converts:
Cameron McInness
Karl Lawton
Siliva Havili

You'd have to say Connor is the only full-time hooker who had a better season than Billy. Even then, he pulled a Brandon Smith to go to the Roosters...

And finally some logic and reason. Thank you @Big Pete .

Some people need to cool their jets - starting to go crazy i think.

I get there is angst and anxiety around Walters being in the squad due to his dad being the coach, but let's be real here, if Walters wasn't his last name there's no way anyone on this forum would be saying he didn't do his job and justify his place as a 1-2 year hooker/14 stop gap.
What needs to be decided, and none of us on here will know, will be whether having him in the squad is good for team dynamics and whether he will impede a young (mozer) or better hooker being in the 17 or our squad. That's a judgement ikin needs to make tbh, he needs to take it out of Walters hands.
There's no doubt paix, and likely smoothy, are better hookers than Walters but billy deserved his spot this year. If kevvie has had a tough chat with his son (eg. Don't expect as many games this year) then I'm all for him bcos he's a very handy squad player, very handy. But again, just like gamble, he isn't worth destroying team harmony and dynamics for, as well as altering team selections for.
Yes I would say that. Did he do his job as one of the only hookers at the club? Yes. Should he be one of the only hooker options at the club? No.

Would he be at the club if his last name wasn’t Walters? No. Are people defending him non-stop because they like Kev? Yes. Do I have anything against Kev or Billy outside of their performances? No.

Have their been better options available to sign over the last 2 years? Yes. Was their room in our cap? We could’ve prioritised it over other signings, yes.

Hooker is the biggest flaw in our roster but that isn’t Billy’s fault.

well summed up.

p.s. i don't count 15 there 😝

of the ones in that list that may have been available to us:

Josh Hodgson - is on the wrong side of 30 and has been injury prone for 2 years (wasn't there also a rumour about us trying to get him last year, just never eventuated)

Harrison Graham - didn't we have him on our books, but he left to go to the The (not sure the reason for that

out of Verrills, JMK and Liddle ... Verrills is the only one I would have considered, would be interested to know if we talked to him or not
Pete has just summed up my argument entirely in the last 2 posts so it’s interesting that you now agree with it.

All I have been doing is saying that our dummy half options are poor and the club has made continuous poor decisions in that aspect.

Except when I say it, the same small handful of posters continuously push back against my not all controversial observation. I also assume that 007 is referring to me as one of the posters who needs to “cool their jets”. Someone please tell me what I’m saying that requires such strong resistance ?

as for the BHQ approved opinion. you should know, because you hold it ... but if you really want me to tell you, then 🤔
Reminder that I'm the guy who approves all the opinions on BHQ. It's a tiresome process but the pay is good.

Pete has just summed up my argument entirely in the last 2 posts so it’s interesting that you now agree with it.

All I have been doing is saying that our dummy half options are poor and the club has made continuous poor decisions in that aspect.

Except when I say it, the same small handful of posters continuously push back against my not all controversial observation. I also assume that 007 is referring to me as one of the posters who needs to “cool their jets”. Someone please tell me what I’m saying that requires such strong resistance ?
I have to admit it's funny watching you cop it from the usual remedial readers.

I copped the same level of shit over saying Macca's service was letting us down, and now it's the prevailing opinion. I still have scorch marks up my sphincter from pointing out that Herbie didn't score enough tries for a guy who wouldn't pass (last season) and after THAT GAME we all remember it became the prevailing opinion. Yet most of them haven't noticed I've been positive about Herbie since THAT GAME, because since then he did exactly all I was asking of him (passing and scoring).

The hysteria over saying Selwyn wasn't ready for Origin (and maybe not even the NRL) though left all that for dead, even though I'm one of his biggest fans. Rich when you consider the buckets of turds poured over Xavier Coates.

The tell-tale for remedial readers is the term "agenda." You'll know you're wasting your time when that card gets pulled.

Reminder that I'm the guy who approves all the opinions on BHQ. It's a tiresome process but the pay is good.

Considering you have half the forum on ignore...I suggest a review of your pay is in order.

Your tiresome process must take all of 5 mins to complete.

Thanks Pete. You got most of them but keep in mind Super League too. Guys like Seggy, Parcell, and Levi.
Parcell re-signed with Hull KR and was never a real option. I wouldn't really consider Segeyaro since his last stint at the club ended when he got caught in a PED scandal. There ended up being mitigating factors but the club already stuck their neck out and got burned for it. Levi was and we were having similar conversations during his stint at the club.

The hilarity that someone who is besties with Tallis couldn’t possibly have arrogance about him. The coach of course had no say..

Who said the coach had no say? That's ridiculous. For Walters to be able to do what is alleged (ie, deliberately stifle Brisbane's recruitment of a suitable hooker so that Billy can have a contract), Walters would either need final say, or he would need to be clever enough to pull the wool over Ikin and everyone else's eyes. Or both. Who genuinely thinks that that is a possibility? It's just ridiculous.

And the veteran James Roby, who would've have been perfect for us, even just as a mentor. He was available.

Who said the coach had no say? That's ridiculous. For Walters to be able to do what is alleged (ie, deliberately stifle Brisbane's recruitment of a suitable hooker so that Billy can have a contract), Walters would either need final say, or he would need to be clever enough to pull the wool over Ikin and everyone else's eyes. Or both. Who genuinely thinks that that is a possibility? It's just ridiculous.
i Don’t think it’s so ridiculous.

Parcell re-signed with Hull KR and was never a real option. I wouldn't really consider Segeyaro since his last stint at the club ended when he got caught in a PED scandal. There ended up being mitigating factors but the club already stuck their neck out and got burned for it. Levi was and we were having similar conversations during his stint at the club.
Levi was offered far more than we could afford

And the veteran James Roby, who would've have been perfect for us, even just as a mentor. He was available.
You reckon he would have taken a base contract?

I also assume that 007 is referring to me as one of the posters who needs to “cool their jets”. Someone please tell me what I’m saying that requires such strong resistance ?
You called me a liar a few pages back......

Thats So Raven GIF

Levi was offered far more than we could afford
Can you show me evidence of this? You keep saying it. I remember Levi’s comments about not wanting to leave.

Not that he was an amazing hooker either. Still offered more than Billy/Turpin

You called me a liar a few pages back......

Thats So Raven GIF
I didn’t call you a liar. I pointed out that you were lying. You’re better than that so I don’t think you’ll do it again. A moment of weakness, doesn’t make you a liar.

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • sooticus
  • mieko
  • Broncosarethebest
  • theshed
  • Morkel
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.