Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
46294 39 1

Maroons rocked again as Darius Boyd quits representative football

June 10, 2018

BRONCOS skipper Darius Boyd has sensationally quit representative football, ruling himself out of a potential recall for Queensland in State of Origin II.

In another selection bombshell for the under-siege Maroons, Boyd revealed to The Courier-Mail that he was “done” with rep footy, and will join State of Origin legends Cameron Smith, Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk on Queensland’s list of unavailable stars.

Boyd’s decision comes two weeks after he was overlooked for a spot in the Maroons team for Origin I, the first time he has been omitted from the side on form since he made his debut in Game Two of 2008.

The long-serving Queensland and Australian back made the revelation after Brisbane’s loss to Melbourne on Sunday.

After 28 Origin games, plus the record of the being second-highest Queensland try-scorer of all-time, Boyd said he had nothing left to prove and wanted to make way for rising stars like Kalyn Ponga and Corey Oates.

“My time’s done in rep footy,” he told The Courier-Mail.

“I’ve had a great career. I have nothing to be disappointed about. I’m really happy with everything I’ve achieved in the rep arena.

“I don’t think I have anything more to prove. It’s time for the younger fellas coming in. They have great players, really quality guys coming through.”

Boyd was in the frame for a Game Two recall, with fullback Billy Slater still in doubt with the hamstring injury that ruled him out of Queensland’s 22-12 loss at the MCG.

The Broncos captain seemed to be pushing his case for Maroon recall with a polished first-half performance against the Storm on Sunday, but the 30-year-old was unable to back it up in a disappointing second stanza as the entire Brisbane team faded.

Boyd confirmed that Queensland coach Kevin Walters had told him ahead of Origin I he was not selected due to his form, but said his efforts in the first 40 minutes on Sunday were not about impressing the Maroons mentor.

He was adamant that even if Walters called upon him for Game Two, he would not be tempted to budge on his current stance so others could get their chance.

“For me it’s best to step aside and let the young guys go,” he said.

“Corey Oates isn’t even in the (Queensland) team, Kalyn Ponga … they already have Val (Holmes) and (Dane Gagai) there as well. It’s their time and I really hope they do well.

“It’s their time to shine, and do their thing and keep the dominance Queensland has had so long.”

Boyd said the most important part of his decision was also about being able to focus purely on the Broncos.

Brisbane are sitting in eighth place on the ladder, but have struggled to find consistency this season and were blasted by coach Wayne Bennett for their second-half fade out on Sunday.

As the captain, Boyd said he took a lot of responsibility for that form and he had to get back to his best if the Broncos were to push for this year’s finals campaign.

“I just need to play really well for the Broncos,” he said.

“The first half (against Melbourne) I was definitely happy, but the second half I thought I was pretty poor.

“It’s something I need to get better at — making sure I’m playing the full 80 and really helping the team towards the win.

“I have to play my role for the Broncos. If I can continue that first-half performance and do it for a full 80, I’ll be happy.”

Tevita Pangai Jr escaped a charge for dangerous contact for a tackle on Nelson Asofa-Solomona late in Sunday’s loss.

The only charge to come out of the clash was a $1100 fine for Josh McGuire for contrary conduct on Tim Glasby.

Source: Courier Mail

“It’s something I need to get better at — making sure I’m playing the full 80 and really helping the team towards the win.

Bit disappointed with this quote. Playing for the full 80 is something you learn a little earlier than 29. I get the feeling retirement is looming if he says he is done

Bit disappointed with this quote. Playing for the full 80 is something you learn a little earlier than 29. I get the feeling retirement is looming if he says he is done

What's wrong with it?

He recognizes he isn't playing for the full 80 and says he needs to get better at it.

It's better than him saying that he isn't playing that bad.

It might mean he's not going to last the 4 years, or it's just a sook (he did say he wanted to get back into the side less than a week ago).

Im afraid hes lost the drive of being competitive. 30yrs is prime time for a player, yet hes giving up his spot for others?

I think some people are quite harsh on Boyd. I know last week, despite him being offered the chance to join the camp, which he turned down, he seemed to be keen to still play for QLD. Maybe the week off has just made him realise his body just isnt up to rep football and club football.

If Wayne walks , Darius will follow

Last edited:
Im afraid hes lost the drive of being competitive. 30yrs is prime time for a player, yet hes giving up his spot for others?

Is for most but he’s played more football than most play in a career. In his 13th season.. that’s a long haul. Besides I’d be giving up a spot for others if my effort was that piss weak on Munster yesterday. That could have been his come to Jesus moment.

It's a bit like a drunk saying they've quit driving right after being disqualified from driving due to repeated drinking offences. If they were being honest with themselves they'd realise it's the drinking they need to give up.

Expect better from a captain.

Alfie Langer retired mid-season in '99 after the worst start to a season min Broncos history (still the worst start to this day) ...

instead of try to lead the team from last ... he cut and run, only to come out of retirement in England...

but i don't here anyone say they expected better from a captain, in that situation ...

Boyd on the other hand clearly realises there is an issue and is working hard to rectify it.

It's not like Boyd has been down on form for year ... he was good enough to win the QLD fullback for Origin 1 last year... his dip in form started during the second half of the year after his injuries, which he struggled to shake.

He is getting hammered by everyone on here for deciding to focus on the broncos?

Sure he probably wasnt going to get picked, but the fact he has said he no longer wants to means there will be no speculation or pressure on him. This will free him up for us a little bit at least. Also, what if he does hit a bit of form? No one saw 2015-2016 coming after his period at he knights. People were saying he was hardly first grade material before he signed with us lol...

For me, its a sad end to a great rep career. He is the second highest tey scorer in origin HISTORY and was the player of the series in 2016! No easy accomplishments.

Whilst i dont disagree with him not getting picked, it wouldnt of happened in meningas era. As well as scott this year or slater last year. This team didnt stand for anything, it wasnt a fresh start but it also didnt reward experience. It kind of tried to dip its toe in both ends of the pool and it backfired. Meninga may not have been a great club coach and also got a golden run with players but him and bennett understand origin and they either went with the tried and tested, or they pulled the trigger on a fresh start. Not this half/half bullshit. Cooper is in worse form then boyd and is less origin experienced and is older, how the **** does that make sense....

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.