Boyd - I'm trying too hard

Just watched the game again and noticed an odd sequence of play before Fifita's try against Canberra.

Bird makes a break down the right edge on his own 40 with Boyd trailing behind. Bird looks to pass to Boyd but the captain decelerates and drifts infield so Bird jinks about before finding a flying Oates who crashes into the fullback.

Oates plays the ball, Bird at hooker whilst Boyd 15m away as first receiver 30m out from the Raiders. Pass to Boyd right? No.
Bird lobs it over Boyd to Macca, who finds Nikorima then Fifita dummies and scoots over for the 4 pointer.

To me that was a '**** you' play from Bird.
That's called counting, my friend. Bird looked up and noticed we had more players that way and within a split second decided a cut out would get the ball there closer. We already have a conspiracy thread by the way.

Just watched the game again and noticed an odd sequence of play before Fifita's try against Canberra.

Bird makes a break down the right edge on his own 40 with Boyd trailing behind. Bird looks to pass to Boyd but the captain decelerates and drifts infield so Bird jinks about before finding a flying Oates who crashes into the fullback.

Oates plays the ball, Bird at hooker whilst Boyd 15m away as first receiver 30m out from the Raiders. Pass to Boyd right? No.
Bird lobs it over Boyd to Macca, who finds Nikorima then Fifita dummies and scoots over for the 4 pointer.

Interesting, but you're likely reading too much in to it. It's far more likely Boyd was there to give the impression of an even spread of attacking players, when in reality the ball was always going to the far right and we were loaded up out there. The cutout pass was the right call to get it out there quickly, before the Raiders had time to recover.

That's called counting, my friend. Bird looked up and noticed we had more players that way and within a split second decided a cut out would get the ball there closer. We already have a conspiracy thread by the way.

You're always right, forget looking for the GIF.
Then my bad, thought captain courageous slowed down cause he didn't wanna get creamed again by Leilua in cover.

Hate to fuel the fire but didn't bird also recently mention how he was trying to get the boys to do more together outside of footy to improve their cohesion on the field? And that Boyd is never keen? Maybe someone else said that last part but I'm sure it's getting Birds goat.

Or a smart play by cut out passing to get it to where the holes are. Dead set the shit you dream up for your agenda.

This made my blood boil. EVERYONE is calling him out for being lacklustre and useless and he says hes trying too hard? What a delusional piece of shit. So glad im away and not going to this game on the weekend. What a knob.

My biggest issue with Boyd right now is his attitude. There's absolutely no excuse, rhyme or reason why a player, let alone a captain, should be throwing their arms up in the air like he has done three weeks in a row now to try to claim foul play while the opposition is scoring a try against him.

When really, it is obviously a ploy to protect / cover up the pitfalls in his defence, trying to hide the fact he's too old a player to effectively defend with urgency or speed.

My biggest issue with Boyd right now is his attitude. There's absolutely no excuse, rhyme or reason why a player, let alone a captain, should be throwing their arms up in the air like he has done three weeks in a row now to try to claim foul play while the opposition is scoring a try against him.

When really, it is obviously a ploy to protect / cover up the pitfalls in his defence, trying to hide the fact he's too old a player to effectively defend with urgency or speed.

I watched the two games against the Sharks from last year recently, he was doing the same thing there too. Also caught out of position more than once and watching a try scored from some distance.

For him to say trying too hard, he must mean mentally. I don't think his mind is right at the moment.

It’s a new day, I wonder what iteration of ‘I’m not out of form’ Boyd will come out with today.​

This made my blood boil. EVERYONE is calling him out for being lacklustre and useless and he says hes trying too hard? What a delusional piece of shit. So glad im away and not going to this game on the weekend. What a knob.
Err, hyperbole much? EVERYONE are not calling him out, many are, many recognize that trying too hard can be counterproductive. Sometimes a clever coach sees that and uncomplicates the role making it easier to focus. Unless you're blinded by an intense dislike or just plain biased you'd recognize his last two games have been perfectly reasonable. If you were blinded by bias you'd only recall from the last game Boyd taking the ball over the sideline or getting trampled by Leilua.

A more reasonable fan would also remember the gutsy catches at fullback when under crushing pressure or in fact,the rest of his game.

It’s a new day, I wonder what claim will be manufactured about Boyd today? See, I can do it too, and it sounds just as petty.

Trying too hard can just as easily mean overthinking things.

I think Trad’s media strategy here isn’t the best tbh. I wouldn’t be trotting out the spine, I’d be crafting positive stories with the young ones saying how much they’re learning and how they’re applying those learnings to their games

Maybe you should watch more games , a lot of players and captains do it.

I think Trad’s media strategy here isn’t the best tbh. I wouldn’t be trotting out the spine, I’d be crafting positive stories with the young ones saying how much they’re learning and how they’re applying those learnings to their games

To be fair, Boyd is the captain, he is supposed to do a lot of media.

I might be able to buy the "trying too hard" when it comes to overrunning guys on breaks, like the Chee-Kam one, he went 0 to 100 in 2 seconds flat, overran him and slipped over trying to adjust his line. If he was more calm and composed he would've come across slower and adjusted his line to where Chee-Kam was going a lot easier.

BUT, I don't buy that he's trying too hard as a whole, like the Crichton try for example was just pure laziness on his part, he could've at least attempted to help.

I might be able to buy the "trying too hard" when it comes to overrunning guys on breaks, like the Chee-Kam one, he went 0 to 100 in 2 seconds flat, overran him and slipped over trying to adjust his line. If he was more calm and composed he would've come across slower and adjusted his line to where Chee-Kam was going a lot easier.

BUT, I don't buy that he's trying too hard as a whole, like the Crichton try for example was just pure laziness on his part, he could've at least attempted to help.
Could you or any one of the Boyd detractors make a small video compilation of these pure laziness moments, the not trying moments, the cowardice and pea hearted moments and the apparently numerous arm waving moments? You guys may be right but I watched the same games and haven't really noticed them so I'd really appreciate it so as to better understand the opposite view.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • BroncosAlways
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Browny
  • mystico
  • Inknition
  • broncos4life
  • Broncosgirl
  • Ondi
  • broncsgoat
  • Waynesaurus
  • john1420
  • TimWhatley
  • teampjta
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.