NEWS Boyd says he's no five-eighth and Lockyer agrees

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/19/boyd-says-hes-no-five-eighth-and-lockyer-agrees/

Boyd says he's no five-eighth and Lockyer agrees

Author
Joel Gould NRL.com Reporter

Broncos captain Darius Boyd has reiterated he is not moving from fullback to five-eighth and has the backing of club legend Darren Lockyer who famously made the successful switch back in 2004. In the wake of the Broncos winning just one of their opening five games, league greats Johnathan Thurston and Andrew Johns have called on the Broncos to switch Boyd with five-eighth Anthony Milford, who burst on the scene at Canberra in the custodian's role. Boyd has not started at five-eighth in any of his 297 NRL games.

He has previously pointed out he does not have the long kicking game of a five-eighth and the stats back him up. Since returning to the Broncos in 2015 Boyd has averaged 7.2 metres per game with his kicks across 93 matches. Almost all of those kicks have been short grubbers near the line.
Boyd, a master at organising the defensive line from the back and chiming in from fullback and throwing the final pass for left winger Corey Oates to score, said his game was not suited to a positional switch to five-eighth.

"Fullback is definitely my best spot," Boyd said.

"It is just the way I play naturally and where I have been playing my whole career. You don't do that for 13 or 14 years and then try and change positions.

"If anyone knows rugby league they know there is a lot more game management in the halves. Fullback is a lot more free running, and with the last pass option it is the [halves] on the inside who have to create that for the last pass. "[In the halves] there is a lot more creating and straight line running I guess, and there is kicking involved."

Lockyer, who made a successful transition from fullback to five-eighth, had a raking left boot kicking game and relished the playmaking role. He backed Boyd's stance while recognising the Brisbane fullback was not a natural playmaker.

"I agree with Darius. Where he is now is his best position, and secondary to that left centre, but I don't think moving him from fullback is the answer," Lockyer told NRL.com.
"He needs to have a kicking game to play five-eighth, which he has put up his hand for and says he doesn't.

"Darius is a great three-on-two exponent out the back but I don't think he is equipped to play short balls to his back-rowers, but then also throw that pass out the back to his fullback. I just don't think he is a natural playmaker." While Milford and Kodi Nikorima have come in for plenty of criticism, especially in the wake of the bungled set of six against Wests Tigers where no-one took a shot at field goal late in the match, Lockyer said the pair weren't that far off the mark.
"I know they are not that far away. Tactically the halves' short and long kicking game, when they are kicking it and how, is much improved," Lockyer said.

"It is now just getting Milford to bark some orders around the place and give them more direction, and once they get that down pat I think they are starting to look real good."

Boyd has also come under fire for missing several tackles at the back but said his form was not as bad as has been portrayed. He said the club would not be pressured into making changes.

"Everyone is going to have their say, but if we were three [wins] from five no-one is going to be saying the things that they are. It comes with the territory but that is the world we live in," Boyd said. "A lot of [the criticism] is unwarranted but you've got to move on and listen to the guys in house.

"I have been pretty happy with my game. I've been making some good metres, I've been really involved and I think I've been working in the attack line well. I've probably missed a few tackles which I need to pick up on definitely. It is about working hard at training, which I do every day, and making sure I am loud with the halves with my talk and leading the team."

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know how he could honestly say he is pretty happy with his form tbh, but he has certainly not been anywhere near as bad in the last couple of weeks. He is running harder and getting more involved. Problem he has is a Darius Boyd mistake is magnified ten fold to a Kotoni Staggs mistake for example. Imagine the meltdown on here is Boyd dropped that ball on against the Raiders that they scored their first try from. Kotoni pretty much got away with next to no criticism for it.

The teams cohesion has been shithouse...but the captain and fullback is fine and dandy with his form.

No accountability whatsover, what kind of joint is Seibold running?

The teams cohesion has been shithouse...but the captain and fullback is fine and dandy with his form.

No accountability whatsover, what kind of joint is Seibold running?

He needs to be dropped. Milf to fullback. The rest is up for discussion. We aren't going anywhere with this bozo running the show.

I hope Lockyer is right about everything

I dont know how he could honestly say he is pretty happy with his form tbh, but he has certainly not been anywhere near as bad in the last couple of weeks. He is running harder and getting more involved. Problem he has is a Darius Boyd mistake is magnified ten fold to a Kotoni Staggs mistake for example. Imagine the meltdown on here is Boyd dropped that ball on against the Raiders that they scored their first try from. Kotoni pretty much got away with next to no criticism for it.

We disagree here somewhat again. I think an inexperienced player who shows potential receives less criticism because fans and critics cut them some slack as they develop. A player with Darius’ experience, salary, and status (captain no less) rightfully feels more pressure when he is constantly underperforming. If a business is failing you don’t blame the 15 year old dishwasher who just dropped and smashed a whole tray of glasses, you look at the manager who is not fulfilling their duties.

Last edited:
We disagree here somewhat again. I think an inexperienced player who shows potential receives less criticism because fans and critics cut them some slack as they develop. A player with Darius’ experience, salary, and status (captain no less) rightfully feels more pressure when he is constantly underperforming. If a business is failing you don’t blame the 15 year old dishwasher who just dropped and smashed a whole tray of glasses, you look at the manager who is not fulfilling their duties.

I agree to a point, i just think the criticism would be over the top with Boyd and largely no existent with Staggs on this occasion. Its like there cant be any common sense middle ground. Everything Boyd does now i feel is over exaggerated so you cant tell the difference between whats a massive **** up from him and whats a very minor error.

Boyd is our captain and experienced fullback, who is paid a shite load more than Staggs.

That said, comparing a kid who tries his heart out to an overpaid, over the hill and consistently shite player is a great comparison

I agree to a point, i just think the criticism would be over the top with Boyd and largely no existent with Staggs on this occasion. Its like there cant be any common sense middle ground. Everything Boyd does now i feel is over exaggerated so you cant tell the difference between whats a massive **** up from him and whats a very minor error.

For sure. It’s the “Andrew McCullough phenomenon”. I’m sure if you look hard enough you can find examples of fullbacks considered the best in the world catting it in defence but no one mentions that. If Boyd was on a Michael Gordon contract I don’t think anyone would be complaining, or at least the complaints would be far less severe. It’s more the frustrations of knowing what he offers paired with the fact he’s taking up such a significant amount of the cap, is aging and in theory declining, is the captain, and that we’re stuck with it for a couple more years.

Of course, almost none of those things are Boyd’s fault but that’s the trade off. The better contract someone is dumb enough to give you, the more pressure you’ll face when you stink it up. Ask Adam Blair. He’s going through it for the second time in his career.

Valid point.

I also understand you’re not excusing Boyd.

But for some context; one has played almost 300 NRL games, 20 odd origins for QLD during their period of unparalleled dominance, 20 odd tests for Australia, won premierships, is a Clive Churchill medallist and is the captain of the Broncos.

The other hasn’t played much more than 300 minutes of NRL.

What I am alluding to is; peoples expectations of Boyd are higher, as they should be.

Equally, his performances should reflect his experience and position in the game as one of the most experienced players running around.

And whilst they are improving, they’re still not close to what you’d expect from someone with such a decorated resume.

Last edited:
Boyd is our captain and experienced fullback, who is paid a shite load more than Staggs.

That said, comparing a kid who tries his heart out to an overpaid, over the hill and consistently shite player is a great comparison

Pay has nothing to do with any of it so i'm really not quite sure why you are so obsessed with it.

And i'm not comparing Boyd to Staggs either, i'm highlighting what the difference would be if Boyd dropped a ball that led to a try. Difference between you and i is i'm not blinded by hatred of any player we have at Brisbane and can see things a bit more objectively. You should try it.

And this article probably sums up everything that currently wrong with this playing group/club.
Whilst the captain continues to get away with playing shit, that makes those around him feel as though sub-par efforts are acceptable as there are no consequences for their lack of form.

I love how Boyd says if we were 3 from 5 no one would be saying anything.. Well Darius, we aren’t and don’t deserve to be. Pull your finger out, and lead this side, or move aside.

Valid point.

I also understand you’re not excusing Boyd.

But for some context; one has played almost 300 NRL games, 20 odd origins for QLD during their period of dominance, 20 odd tests for Australia, won premierships, is a Clive Churchill medallist and is the captain of the Broncos.

The other hasn’t played much more than 300 minutes of NRL.

What I am alluding to is; peoples expectations of Boyd are higher, as they should be.

Equally, his performances should reflect his experience and position in the game as one of the most experienced players running around.

And whilst they are improving, they’re still not close to what you’d expect from someone with such a decorated resume.

Its more a point though about people on this forum rather than the players themselves. Doesnt matter what Boyd does now, he wont get a fair judgement from a lot of people, which of course is their prerogative. People get very emotionally involved in a game of football when in the scheme of things a game of football is pretty insignificant to whats going on in the world.

Its more a point though about people on this forum rather than the players themselves. Doesnt matter what Boyd does now, he wont get a fair judgement from a lot of people, which of course is their prerogative. People get very emotionally involved in a game of football when in the scheme of things a game of football is pretty insignificant to whats going on in the world.
I agree with you entirely, and the timing of this post of yours regarding it being only a game is very pertinent for me, as I was thinking the same thing myself recently.

I also understand that you’re only using Staggs as an example, but I also fully understand and support people expecting more of Boyd.

The buck has to stop somewhere, and as the captain, that’s part of the territory. Him glossing over it and not taking full ownership of his faults sets an awful example for such a young squad and an alarming precedent.

He cannot expect more from his team than he is willing to demonstrate himself. So I guess the proof is very much in the pudding at this very moment.

Last edited:
I agree with you entirely, and the timing of this post of yours regarding it being only a game is very pertinent for me, as I was thinking the same thing myself recently.

I also understand that you’re only using Staggs as an example, but I also fully understand and support people expecting more of Boyd.

The buck has to stop somewhere, and as the captain, that’s part of the territory. Him glossing over it and not taking full ownership of his faults sets an awful example for such a young squad and an alarming precedent.

He cannot expect more from his team than he is willing to demonstrate himself. So I guess the proof is very much in the pudding at this very moment.

I think the buck stops with the coach. If he makes the hard decisions, Boyd ( and others ) wouldnt have the chance to be in the position he is now

Pay has nothing to do with any of it so i'm really not quite sure why you are so obsessed with it.

And i'm not comparing Boyd to Staggs either, i'm highlighting what the difference would be if Boyd dropped a ball that led to a try. Difference between you and i is i'm not blinded by hatred of any player we have at Brisbane and can see things a bit more objectively. You should try it.
Boyd is the player who's chosen to LEAD this team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Active Now

• Mick_Hancock
  • Brocko
  • Browny
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Redux
  • Foordy
  • Porthoz
  • Broncorob
  • Harry Sack
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Fitzy
  • Battler
  • The Don
  • NSW stables
  • Xzei
  • Fozz
  • Mustafur
  • Dash
  • Financeguy
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.