NEWS Boyd says he's no five-eighth and Lockyer agrees

This is pretty much where I have got to as well. I went off on a rant after the first round last year and rightly got called on it by Locky the illegitimate one.

I am adopting a Bennett philosophy - 'Worry is like a rocking-chair. It gives you something to do buy gets you nowhere.'

All the angst, anger. whinging etc directed at Seibold, the team, individual players on here is all going to achieve nothing at all in terms of our performances or team changes. It is all completely out of our control.

You can choose to blow up deluxe after every loss, repeatedly post the same thing (and still achieve nothing), or you can sit back and just wait for what unfolds. I believe our form will turn, if it doesn't, I will be disappointed, but I hope in the long run it will be short term pain for long term gain. Ultimately, if Seibold fails, he will lose his job, so he has far more invested in ensuring the team turns their form around than any of us. Give them time, if it does not work and we miss the 8, there are far worse things going on in the world.

Good post mate.

For all people go on about certain players not performing to their best, and i'll keep saying this, if we just did our basics right,we would have won at least 3 games by now. We arent going to win missing so many tackles. We arent going to win dropping so much ball and we arent going to win when we dont complete our sets. Once we sort that lot out, then we can start building.

Yeah it’s a bit of a redundant argument. Of course there are things of greater importance in life than the NRL. Sport is just escapism after all. I try not to say emotionally charged or irrational things in here but some times I do and that’s part of the fun of being a sports fan. That doesn’t mean that I walk around my day to day life muttering about Boyd’s defence under my breathe and kicking my dog because I named it Darius in 2015 and that’s turned out to be a worse decision than his long term contract.

At the end of the day, nothing matters and we are all just apes on a rock hurtling through space, and time itself is just a construct. But if we don’t pretend to care than no one watches and we now live in a world were most NRL players are only playing footy socially after a nice week of scaffolding.

I've had a lot of shit i've gone through in the last few years and it puts football into perspective. I refuse to take it too seriously. I do get carried away a bit when i'm at Suncorp or watching the Broncos on TV, or when i'm watching Redcliffe play, but i'm not going to go around like some do calling players " pea hearts " or " gutless " or shit like that when i know exactly what they put themselves through. Not one player i have ever come across doesnt try their best every time they play. They dont intentionally make mistakes and stuff up. I'm fairly positive some people are stupid enough to thin thats the case. You have to be objective when the dust settles.

This is pretty much where I have got to as well. I went off on a rant after the first round last year and rightly got called on it by Locky the illegitimate one.

I am adopting a Bennett philosophy - 'Worry is like a rocking-chair. It gives you something to do buy gets you nowhere.'

All the angst, anger. whinging etc directed at Seibold, the team, individual players on here is all going to achieve nothing at all in terms of our performances or team changes. It is all completely out of our control.

You can choose to blow up deluxe after every loss, repeatedly post the same thing (and still achieve nothing), or you can sit back and just wait for what unfolds. I believe our form will turn, if it doesn't, I will be disappointed, but I hope in the long run it will be short term pain for long term gain. Ultimately, if Seibold fails, he will lose his job, so he has far more invested in ensuring the team turns their form around than any of us. Give them time, if it does not work and we miss the 8, there are far worse things going on in the world.
I'm glad I had such an impact on your life..

Good post mate.

For all people go on about certain players not performing to their best, and i'll keep saying this, if we just did our basics right,we would have won at least 3 games by now. We arent going to win missing so many tackles. We arent going to win dropping so much ball and we arent going to win when we dont complete our sets. Once we sort that lot out, then we can start building.

Yeah for sure, but how do you remedy this? Other than saying “just fix it ffs”. Just persist with the group of guys who are struggling? Rethink your coaching strategies? Put the heat on your leadership group? Are we losing despite our roster or because of it?

Every team would at least be mediocre if they got all the basics right. It’s the inability to get the basics right that makes a bad team. I personally agree that we have a very exciting roster, and though it is a far more reasonable approach than some of the nightmare hypothetical team lists and player transfers seen thrown around this board, I think your solution is greatly over simplified.

I also agree with your other post. I’m not a kid anymore; I have far more pressing issues than the broncos but this is a board for discussing the broncos. We’re all here for the same reasons even if some chose to do it in a more hyperbolic way. It’s the personal attacks to both players and fellow posters that I don’t see the need for. That’s far too much emotional investment. But I will say Boyd defends like a cat and rarely does any of the hard work thats expected of fullbacks in attack. I’m not attacking his character, maybe there’s a good reason for it, maybe he is trying his ass off and just isn’t that good.

Last edited:
Yeah for sure, but how do you remedy this? Other than saying “just fix it ffs”. Just persist with the group of guys who are struggling? Rethink your coaching strategies? Put the heat on your leadership group? Are we losing despite our roster or because of it?

Every team would at least be mediocre if they got all the basics right. It’s the inability to get the basics right that makes a bad team. I personally agree that we have a very exciting roster, and though it is a far more reasonable approach than some of the nightmare hypothetical team lists and player transfers seen thrown around this board, I think your solution is greatly over simplified.

I also agree with your other post. I’m not a kid anymore; I have far more pressing issues than the broncos but this is a board for discussing the broncos. We’re all here for the same reasons even if some chose to do it in a more hyperbolic way. It’s the personal attacks to both players and fellow posters that I don’t see the need for. That’s far too much emotional investment. But I will say Boyd defends like a cat and rarely does any of the hard work thats expected of fullbacks in attack. I’m not attacking his character, maybe there’s a good reason for it, maybe he is trying his ass off and just isn’t that good.

It is a simplified approach, i agree, but its a base to build from. Melbourne have built a club on it. I actually think our big issue is we are looking for superstars all over the park instead of having a good blend of workhorse, solid players who just do their jobs and game changers where we need them.

It is a simplified approach, i agree, but its a base to build from. Melbourne have built a club on it. I actually think our big issue is we are looking for superstars all over the park instead of having a good blend of workhorse, solid players who just do their jobs and game changers where we need them.

When you say “we are looking for superstars all over the park” who are you referring to?

When you say “we are looking for superstars all over the park” who are you referring to?

After some of the teams we have had in the past i think in general as Broncos fans we kind of expect to have a side like we used to. Not everyone thinks that way, but we have been spoiled over the years having the talent we had.

For sure. It’s the “Andrew McCullough phenomenon”. I’m sure if you look hard enough you can find examples of fullbacks considered the best in the world catting it in defence but no one mentions that. If Boyd was on a Michael Gordon contract I don’t think anyone would be complaining, or at least the complaints would be far less severe. It’s more the frustrations of knowing what he offers paired with the fact he’s taking up such a significant amount of the cap, is aging and in theory declining, is the captain, and that we’re stuck with it for a couple more years.

Of course, almost none of those things are Boyd’s fault but that’s the trade off. The better contract someone is dumb enough to give you, the more pressure you’ll face when you stink it up. Ask Adam Blair. He’s going through it for the second time in his career.
This is really well said. If he was on the money as Michael Gordon and wasn't the club captain it would be excusable and probably less criticised.

Unfortunately though, he's on the money of a Tom Turbo, James Tedesco or RTS, is the captain, and is playing worse than Gordon.

As Lockyer says in the article, Boyd is good at the last pass. The issue is now, a lot of teams are awake to that and you need more Xfactor and threat from your fullback as well. Which Boyd has never really had. He's never been super fast, or super agile. He's been safe under the bomb and good at the last pass. When you have amazing halves that's okay and all you need, but we don't have that at the moment so we need more from a fullback.

He really shouldn't be captain. It just doesn't seem to work, doesn't appear to provide much confidence for the team or have any close bonds. I'd like to see Gillett or Glenn given the opportunity to captain the side. Maybe even Macca. It could force him in to stepping up and bring something out of him.

This is really well said. If he was on the money as Michael Gordon and wasn't the club captain it would be excusable and probably less criticised.

Unfortunately though, he's on the money of a Tom Turbo, James Tedesco or RTS, is the captain, and is playing worse than Gordon.

As Lockyer says in the article, Boyd is good at the last pass. The issue is now, a lot of teams are awake to that and you need more Xfactor and threat from your fullback as well. Which Boyd has never really had. He's never been super fast, or super agile. He's been safe under the bomb and good at the last pass. When you have amazing halves that's okay and all you need, but we don't have that at the moment so we need more from a fullback.

He really shouldn't be captain. It just doesn't seem to work, doesn't appear to provide much confidence for the team or have any close bonds. I'd like to see Gillett or Glenn given the opportunity to captain the side. Maybe even Macca. It could force him in to stepping up and bring something out of him.
Yeah he throws the last pass and it’s pretty telegraphed because you know he won’t be a threat himself, he’ll always throw it.

The one player at his potential at the moment is knik. You can't say he isn't putting in every week. It's just that he has a terrible long-range kicking game, doesn't have the authority to direct the team (how can he, when 1, 7 and 9 are all paid more and given higher status), and because of his size, is an easy target in defence. If we could find a way to transfer his work ethic on the field to others in the team, we'd be a lot further ahead as far as what Siebold wants of this team.
That's the problem. We lose focus when the pressure is applied. Milford tries to single-handedly sometimes, dig a diamond out a lump of coal with a 5th play run, or a back tries to run around the edge defence, or a forward tries second phase play after our players have defended for a couple of sets (with the inevitable knock-on, intercept, forward pass etc.).
Sometimes you just have to take your medicine and suck it up with a deep kick to the corners, or a deep bomb (though we like them way too much). The problem is that because Knik cant kick nor can anyone else in the backline (apart from milf). We are stuck with either a dodgy kick straight to an attacking back, ready to carve half those metres back on the first tackle or our opponents using the ball from a restart as a result of that "diamond-seeking" adventure.
I can't see too many easy answers, but if one of these young halves has a great kicking game, I'd be considering rushing them into the team in some capacity.
We need last tackle options, and we need one of those halves (who can kick) to do it. Unfortunately, that doesn't leave a whole lot of candidates.

The one player at his potential at the moment is knik. You can't say he isn't putting in every week. It's just that he has a terrible long-range kicking game, doesn't have the authority to direct the team (how can he, when 1, 7 and 9 are all paid more and given higher status), and because of his size, is an easy target in defence. If we could find a way to transfer his work ethic on the field to others in the team, we'd be a lot further ahead as far as what Siebold wants of this team.
That's the problem. We lose focus when the pressure is applied. Milford tries to single-handedly sometimes, dig a diamond out a lump of coal with a 5th play run, or a back tries to run around the edge defence, or a forward tries second phase play after our players have defended for a couple of sets (with the inevitable knock-on, intercept, forward pass etc.).
Sometimes you just have to take your medicine and suck it up with a deep kick to the corners, or a deep bomb (though we like them way too much). The problem is that because Knik cant kick nor can anyone else in the backline (apart from milf). We are stuck with either a dodgy kick straight to an attacking back, ready to carve half those metres back on the first tackle or our opponents using the ball from a restart as a result of that "diamond-seeking" adventure.
I can't see too many easy answers, but if one of these young halves has a great kicking game, I'd be considering rushing them into the team in some capacity.
We need last tackle options, and we need one of those halves (who can kick) to do it. Unfortunately, that doesn't leave a whole lot of candidates.

Milf needs to set himself deeper behind the play the ball to get a better angle on his kicks, to find the corners on the last. He gets rushed too fast and ends up with a Hunt type bomb too often, that has **** all chasers. Within two tackles, the opposition are back to where Milford kicked it. That's all I want to see from Milf this week, experiment with controlling the game by kicking. Slow things down, speed them up. I don't think he can fit his previously epic running game and his game management/primary kicking duties into one game. At least he hasn't consistently yet.

Milf needs to set himself deeper behind the play the ball to get a better angle on his kicks, to find the corners on the last. He gets rushed too fast and ends up with a Hunt type bomb too often, that has **** all chasers. Within two tackles, the opposition are back to where Milford kicked it. That's all I want to see from Milf this week, experiment with controlling the game by kicking. Slow things down, speed them up. I don't think he can fit his previously epic running game and his game management/primary kicking duties into one game. At least he hasn't consistently yet.

His bombs aren't to bad and have been causing some trouble, it's just every time we're within the 50 he does it. He needs more variety .

His bombs aren't to bad and have been causing some trouble, it's just every time we're within the 50 he does it. He needs more variety .

Yeah not all his bombs are bad, most of them in fact are good and would be hard to catch. Agree about the variety. My problem really is the lack of chase on a lot of them, and being under pressure too often, not being deep enough to get a good angle on the kick, in those cases the kick is just a quick thing to avoid being smashed.

SOO selection for incumbents is a moot point for any argument. Qld are well known for picking incumbents of winning teams regardless of club form.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • davidp
  • Lurker
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bazza
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  • johnny plath
  • BroncosAlways
  • Fozz
  • levikaden
  • Porthoz
  • FACTHUNT
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.