NEWS # Bring Back Kevvy

From what I'm reading and hearing, he's keen to remain in QLD, even moreso now his family is settled in Brisbane. Mal looms as a major threat, with their rep history together. But we're more likely to be able to squeeze him under the cap if he wants to play on.

There's a certain irony in our collective entitlement in expecting to be able to poach the eyes out of other clubs, after the way we performed over Fifita. I'd like to see Smith retire as a one club man. It's a good look for the code. He's practically built that club. I hope this is his last season.

I thought his kids were enrolled in a Gold Coast school

They are all adults, it's a bit of a worry if they are still in school. Must be a long drive for Billy to get to Campbelltown for training after school each day.

Not sure. I read that too, but also that Barb and the kids had relocated to Brisbane. Maybe they're living on the coast now, unless the kids are boarding at TSS, which wouldn't make much sense. Unless "Brisbane" is Logan. I'm just making shit up now. Need coffee.

Last edited:
Not sure. I read that too, but also that Beth and the kids had relocated to Brisbane. Maybe they're living on the coast now, unless the kids are boarding at TSS, which wouldn't make much sense. Unless "Brisbane" is Logan. I'm just making shit up now. Need coffee.
Has Barb been replaced by Beth, it is a bit hard to keep up to date with Cam.

The problem with 'Cam' tho..........is that well............. 'Cam' looks after 'Cam' first, he will go to who ever brings the biggest suitcase full of cash.

'Cam' doesn't really seem to be interested in promoting or giving back to the game except when somebody has shown him the money.

From what I'm reading and hearing, he's keen to remain in QLD, even moreso now his family is settled in Brisbane. Mal looms as a major threat, with their rep history together. But we're more likely to be able to squeeze him under the cap if he wants to play on.

There's a certain irony in our collective entitlement in expecting to be able to poach the eyes out of other clubs, after the way we performed over Fifita. I'd like to see Smith retire as a one club man. It's a good look for the code. He's practically built that club. I hope this is his last season.
@broncos4life, you can see that McHunt is referring to Cameron Smith, see the comment re playing on, unless Kevvy has come out of retirement.

Not sure. I read that too, but also that Barb and the kids had relocated to Brisbane. Maybe they're living on the coast now, unless the kids are boarding at TSS, which wouldn't make much sense. Unless "Brisbane" is Logan. I'm just making shit up now. Need coffee.

Obviously I can't confirm it personally, but locals down here have stated and continuously backed the fact that he has got a house down on the GC and the kids are at a local state school so would be weird to live in bris at the same time. Went as far as offering the address so I would assume they aren't lying.

The problem with 'Cam' tho..........is that well............. 'Cam' looks after 'Cam' first, he will go to who ever brings the biggest suitcase full of cash.

'Cam' doesn't really seem to be interested in promoting or giving back to the game except when somebody has shown him the money.
Not sure I get you here.

So you're saying the best player of this generation, perhaps the best player of all time, only looks after himself first because he expects to be paid accordingly to remain the most integral player for the only club he's ever played for?

If you were the very best person in the world at the job you do, how much precisely would you expect to be paid compared to everyone else in your field?

Seems an odd comment to make about a one-club man with his legacy for the Storm, QLD and Australia. And according to this list, he's a bit of a bargain, certainly compared to Milford and Bird:

Well its not like he cashed in on some bullcrap 'testimonial' game did he, or left his QLD retirement call till the last moment just before the series or strings the storm along with his retirement talk then going back to keep asking for money.

Without the game he wouldn't be in a position to earn the money he does.

Last edited:
Seems an odd comment to make about a one-club man with his legacy for the Storm, QLD and Australia. And according to this list, he's a bit of a bargain, certainly compared to Milford and Bird:

My thoughts exactly. There is probably an argument to say he's on 'unders' at Melbourne compared to what he could earn elsewhere.

Well its not like he cashed in on some bullcrap 'testimonial' game did he, or left his QLD retirement call till the last moment just before the series or strings the storm along with his retirement talk then going back to keep asking for money.
Mate, if the NRL offered any player in the game a chance to 'cash in' on a testimonial game, they'd be all over it like a fat kid on cake. He's hardly alone there.

The Origin stuff I'd agree was extremely selfish and for me is the first and probably only serious blight on his Rep career in my eyes. That one shitty act doesn't take away all the good stuff though. And there was a LOT of good stuff.

As for 'stringing the Storm along' well I'd argue that actual full time retirement can be a funny thing. There is a huge amount to consider both mentally, physically, financially and from a lifestyle perspective. He quite possibly hasn't hasn't his mind up at all and Melbourne are obviously quite happy to wait for him given how good he is. He's also perfectly entitled to ask for more money though. There probably isn't a single player in the game who is more worthy of it than Cam Smith. He's one of the very few million dollar players out there who is providing an outstanding return on that investment.

Last edited:
Hey, I never said it was a problem, I'm not wanting to distract from what he has achieved as a player, what i did say was that Cam will make sure to look Cam first and who stumps up the most cash will have a big impact on where he goes if he chooses to leave the Storm and go somewhere else.

Last edited:
Hey, I never said it was a problem, I'm not wanting to distract from what he has achieved as a player, what i did say was that Cam will make sure to look Cam first and who stumps up the most cash will have a big impact on where he goes if he chooses to leave the Storm and go somewhere else.
Yep that's probably 100% right, and fair enough too.

At 37 and with the best part of two decades of NRL football under his belt in a system he knows inside out, if some other club wants me to come on board, be their marquee player and carry their franchise both on and off field for two more years, I'm probably only going to be interested in doing it if the lifestyle suits me perfectly and I'm paid very, very handsomely for my trouble.

Last edited:

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.