NEWS Brisbane Broncos could lose David Fifita to mega deal

I'm in Sydney and it's on Channel 9 from 7:30-10:30.

I’m in Brisbane and it’s on Channel 9 from 7:00 - 9:30 but don’t know if that means it’s going to be live or not.

Might stream it at work then. Nice

Isn’t Bird (according to NSW media) on 7 quadrillion dollars per match? He’s only here for one more year so we can use his money in 2020 plus some that we have left over from Brett Le Men, J YY, Lewis and from when Joey didn’t sign.....

Hell apart from retaining a few players maybe we can acquire the controlling stake in the NRL and have them change the Roosters name to the Sydney Cheating Scumbas Whose Fans Suck Dicks

yeah but with the NSW media Bird contract will be the opposite of what the Roosters ususally do (take Cronk as an example)

claimed for 2 years he is on 600k until he leaves then frees up $1 million

with Bird it will be claiming for 3 years he is on $1 million+, but leaving will only free up 600k

Why the surprise? Their current predicament with their playing rosters suggests they absolutely do not know how it works.
[automerge]1571951180[/automerge]

I've never understood the mentality that the 9 Sydney clubs left have a divine right to be here whether its in theirs or the games best interests or otherwise. The NRL shouldn't exist as a charity to protect the interest of a handful of clubs from Sydney, it should be to grow the game in as efficient and sustainable way as possible, and if that future doesn't include Manly or Cronulla then so be it. No other sport in the world operates in such a protectionist and conservative fashion.
The way I see it the game can't expand properly unless the cap is removed, it protects too many Sydney clubs who can't attract 3 fans to a game and it stops the complacent NRL from dipping their toes in getting more teams elsewhere, plus teams like Rorters and storm would struggle and so they should because they don't pull the revenue require to keep top talent.

The problem is Sydney dickheads will look at Broncos and know we will benefit the most from this strategy but I would argue it would definitely help clubs like Parramatta and Penrith who have real youth setups and are in the actual heartland of where the support is.

The majority of Sydney clubs are miles away from the where the core fan support is anyway.

Just caught the last 50 mins of jnr roo's v france. Fifita gave away a couple silly penalties including a pointless one for dissent (i hope this does not creep into his game), copped a stray boot in the second half but no major damage.

Croft was ok, some good kicks put in and supported well. Given the scoreline, it is hard to say how well he was managing the team. Papenhuyzen was on fire though.

The way I see it the game can't expand properly unless the cap is removed, it protects too many Sydney clubs who can't attract 3 fans to a game and it stops the complacent NRL from dipping their toes in getting more teams elsewhere, plus teams like Rorters and storm would struggle and so they should because they don't pull the revenue require to keep top talent.

The problem is Sydney dickheads will look at Broncos and know we will benefit the most from this strategy but I would argue it would definitely help clubs like Parramatta and Penrith who have real youth setups and are in the actual heartland of where the support is.

The majority of Sydney clubs are miles away from the where the core fan support is anyway.

Storm and Roosters would not struggle at all. They would arguably become more dominant.

They have very rich backers, especially Roosters with Politis. They would have a fuckload of money to throw at players, especially South's with Crowe. Get rid of the cap and the comp would only be a 4 horse race.

because the club is bound to them by contract. I’m sure huge amounts of energy have gone into thinking of ways to get some of these guys off our books but if the players don’t wanna go then there’s nothing we can do.
... I understand but all too often we see contracts being paid little more than lip service before being circumvented for expediency's sake .. we don't normally get involved in those deals unless the player's welfare is in question (eg Roberts) maybe we should be getting our hands dirty like the rest of them.

... I understand but all too often we see contracts being paid little more than lip service before being circumvented for expediency's sake .. we don't normally get involved in those deals unless the player's welfare is in question (eg Roberts) maybe we should be getting our hands dirty like the rest of them.
I’d be interested to see some of your ideas for
moving these players on.

i think you’ll find the club has considered most options. Gillett may medically retire (except he was re-signed while injured), Macca may be moved on but only if another club wants him. Boyd you couldn’t give away even if we paid another club to take him. I’m sure the club has offered post footy jobs if he goes early but insider reports are saying he is digging his heels in.
If you have any ideas please let us and the club know.

I’d be interested to see some of your ideas for
moving these players on.

i think you’ll find the club has considered most options. Gillett may medically retire (except he was re-signed while injured), Macca may be moved on but only if another club wants him. Boyd you couldn’t give away even if we paid another club to take him. I’m sure the club has offered post footy jobs if he goes early but insider reports are saying he is digging his heels in.
If you have any ideas please let us and the club know.
Just venting my frustrations mate .. nothing more.

Don't let the fact that Boyd is only on 450k this year get in the way of your blame though.
Not sure about that, I think Boyd was on 700k a year for 3 years with the option year dropping to 400 odd. That averages out to 625 a year if he played the option year. Pretty sure he'll be on 700 in 2020.

Storm and Roosters would not struggle at all. They would arguably become more dominant.

They have very rich backers, especially Roosters with Politis. They would have a fuckload of money to throw at players, especially South's with Crowe. Get rid of the cap and the comp would only be a 4 horse race.
Exactly. I am no expert on how the cap works at all but i think to make things fairer, there should definitely be transparency and freedom of info on players wage (prevents media from make outlandish "guestimates").

I think what makes the cap a joke is the third party arrangements. Although we are one of the beneficiaries of the ability to do this, i think this area needs to be addressed, how these are arranged monitored more strictly and be more transparent too.

To reward clubs for junior development i think a club resigning junior players they have invested in and developed, a percentage of their wage should not apply to the clubs cap (i.e. 10-20%).

There could also be a similar reward for resigning 200+ game one club players. This would reduce likelihood of club favourites being forced out due to cap pressures.

Just my opinion. There are probably numerous reasons why this would not work but thought it may be interesting to explore

Hypothetically, If we lose Fifita to the roosters and roosters need to get rid of latrell to do so, would anyone be keen on signing latrell?

Hypothetically, If we lose Fifita to the roosters and roosters need to get rid of latrell to do so, would anyone be keen on signing latrell?

We already have one too many overpaid centres

And apparently now has a fractured eye socket. What a month for him!

Active Now

• Battler
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Broncosgirl
  • Galah
  • NSW stables
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.