NEWS Brisbane Broncos could lose David Fifita to mega deal

So now James Hooper is speculating on foxsports website that Latrell Mitchell will be forced out of the Roosters if they sign Fifita as speculated. So that's a rumour on top of a rumour. He gets paid to make this shit up?

Pretty much. Getting paid to write Rugby League fiction sounds good. We are the mugs posting for free on a forum lol

Broncos remain in box seat for Fifita despite flood of interest
Phil Lutton
By Phil Lutton
October 24, 2019 — 5.00pm

Brisbane's David Fifita has become the central character as rugby league enters its annual silly season, with the boom teenager preparing for a barrage of offers for his services following the November 1 deadline.

But the 19-year-old looks increasingly likely to remain at Red Hill with the Broncos readying to lock down one of the most gifted young forwards in the game, having already secured the services of fellow breakout star Payne Haas until the end of 2024.

Fifita is about to enter the final year of his current deal at the Broncos and has become a target around the NRL after an eye-catching season that included a State of Origin debut and a series of powerhouse performances towards the end of the year.

He was dominant at the recent World Cup 9s tournament and, given his age, the upside looks immense. Already he has drawn comparisons to Sonny Bill Williams and could well command a pay packet to match if he follows the money trail south.

More suitors seem to be appearing daily. The Roosters, South Sydney and the Eels have been mentioned as possible homes for Fifita should he move to Sydney, while the Bulldogs are another club reported to have the Keebra Park product on their shopping list as their salary cap fog finally begins to clear.

Souths may have some options depending on the future of Sam Burgess, while Fifita has an existing relationship with Wayne Bennett, who coached him in Brisbane before the swap with current Broncos coach Anthony Seibold.

The Roosters are the target of endless salary cap questions from fans but as Cooper Cronk departs they could be in a position to offer an attractive package, despite Fifita suggesting he would find it hard to see himself living in Sydney.

Even if Brisbane can't match the figures being tossed around for Fifita, the club remains in the box seat to retain the damaging ball runner, who will captain the Australian under-23 side in a Test match curtain-raiser on Friday night.

He may even opt to sign a shorter-term deal before extending once the club clears some of its cap room. Jack Bird, who commands a hefty slice of Brisbane's salary, could be there until the end of 2021 by which time the club would be in a prime position to offer Fifita a meaty extension.

His mother Gwen has become increasingly influential in his future and any contract negotiations, which will be another plus for the Broncos given their relationship with the family and their support for him as a junior and schoolboy star.

Despite ongoing suggestions that they must part ways with some of their young forward guns, the club has already managed to ensure Haas, Tevita Pangai jnr, Joe Ofahengaue and Matt Lodge will stay in the maroon and gold in coming seasons.

That might well be enough to convince Fifita to look beyond the dollar signs and remain at a club that remains desperate to return to the glory days and contend for a first premiership since 2006.

Seems like the broncos just need to win over mrs Fifita and he’s ours forever. Buy her a house, free buffet at the leagues club, whatever she needs!

Old mate Dobbin echoed Joe's sentiments on the news tonight, zero chance we left Fifita leave, will be re-signed long term over the next month or so, Oates is also expected to be announced over the next week.

Call me old fashioned... but the pay figures being thrown around are obscene in my opinion!!

Call me old fashioned... but the pay figures being thrown around are obscene in my opinion!!
I think what isn't being considered is the next TV rights deal.

I'm not sure it is sustainable for the TV deals to continue to go up and the salary cap to keep going up... there is a risk signing players to long high paying contracts if the salary cap suddenly stagnates and stops growing.

The contract values continue to rise, or at least the media like telling us they are... but salaries can't keep going up without the cap going up at the same rate and suddenly a $1m player is turning into $1.5m (figures being thrown out for Turbo and Ponga)

Last edited:
Broncos remain in box seat for Fifita despite flood of interest
Phil Lutton
By Phil Lutton
October 24, 2019 — 5.00pm
His mother Gwen has become increasingly influential in his future and any contract negotiations, which will be another plus for the Broncos given their relationship with the family and their support for him as a junior and schoolboy star.

Despite ongoing suggestions that they must part ways with some of their young forward guns, the club has already managed to ensure Haas, Tevita Pangai jnr, Joe Ofahengaue and Matt Lodge will stay in the maroon and gold in coming seasons.

That might well be enough to convince Fifita to look beyond the dollar signs and remain at a club that remains desperate to return to the glory days and contend for a first premiership since 2006.

How is a paper with all it's resources two months behind me. I said this in August. It's such poor writing.

I would bank on it being very unlikely he moves out of home for the first time and ups to Sydney.

Fifita hasn’t even been able to leave Ipswich so unlikely he goes Sydney.

How is a paper with all it's resources two months behind me. I said this in August. It's such poor writing.
Perhaps if you had said something..............anything..............since August.. Your "prediction" would be considered much more relevant.... Do you actually have any inside info on the matter? What are you hearing?

It’s the market these days.

You have to take some sort of risk and pay for potential.

I would have no hesitations signing Fifita to a one year deal around 600k in order for him to prove himself as a 1 mil player. Then chuck him a Taumalolo style contract. Maybe not 10 years but around 5 or 6.

Perhaps if you had said something..............anything..............since August.. Your "prediction" would be considered much more relevant.... Do you actually have any inside info on the matter? What are you hearing?

How many times do you need to say something for it to be valid?

You’re missing the point; it’s not predictions it’s stories. Why are they only writing about his mum and family now. That should have been the story months ago.

I never thought he’d go anywhere and said so- family will keep him here. His manager was in again this week.

Isn’t Bird (according to NSW media) on 7 quadrillion dollars per match? He’s only here for one more year so we can use his money in 2020 plus some that we have left over from Brett Le Men, J YY, Lewis and from when Joey didn’t sign.....

Hell apart from retaining a few players maybe we can acquire the controlling stake in the NRL and have them change the Roosters name to the Sydney Cheating Scumbas Whose Fans Suck Dicks

Scrap the cap, it serves no one apart from the Rorters and The scum from Melbourne who together have a collection of 2 fans, it does nothing to help the game.

If that happens clubs like the tigers, Cronulla and Manly will go broke fast trying to compete.
Hmmmmmmmm yeah ok do it!

4 years / $5m for Jake & Tom
4 years / $4m for Fifita

Do they understand how the salary cap works?..
Why the surprise? Their current predicament with their playing rosters suggests they absolutely do not know how it works.
[automerge]1571951180[/automerge]
If that happens clubs like the tigers, Cronulla and Manly will go broke fast trying to compete.
Hmmmmmmmm yeah ok do it!
I've never understood the mentality that the 9 Sydney clubs left have a divine right to be here whether its in theirs or the games best interests or otherwise. The NRL shouldn't exist as a charity to protect the interest of a handful of clubs from Sydney, it should be to grow the game in as efficient and sustainable way as possible, and if that future doesn't include Manly or Cronulla then so be it. No other sport in the world operates in such a protectionist and conservative fashion.

Last edited:

Active Now

• matthewransom34@ic
  • Santa
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.