Brisbane Broncos Draw 2021

Broncos are always going to have the worst draws, because we have the biggest fanbase, our games are the most watched so the NRL and Channel 9 will wring that money sponge dry.

Its not the biggest issue though, I mean if we are good we are good, the finals are there to equal it out if we make it.

Last edited:
According to NRL.com, The gold Coast have the second easiest draw outside of Newcastle.
How ironic that nrl.com, the offical site of the organisation responsible for running the show, talk freely about teams having easier draws than other teams.

Whilst I absolutely and unequivocally agree with the ‘winners win, losers make excuses’ mantra, I do also think repeated tough draws can make it so ridiculously and prohibitively difficult for certain teams to win.

It’s like the Stawell Gift. Even if someone is systematically faster than everyone else, if you hinder them by way of a big enough handicap, it is literally impossible for them to win (sans a Bradbury moment of course).

There has to be a point where, with respect to the draw at least, the notion that constant handicaps placed on some teams, whilst others seemingly get the path of least resistance time and time again, is not pure conspiracy and does actually hold water.
I understand the notion behind a fair draw, but what's the end goal? A premiership? If you can't beat the best teams 50% of the time to make it in the 8, you're never winning the grand final anyway. The way I look at it, it's actually beneficial to come up against the best teams more frequently if we're going to become a top team again.

Last edited:
I understand the notion behind a fair draw, but what's the end goal? A premiership? If you can't beat the best teams 50% of the time to make it in the 8, you're never winning the grand final anyway. The way I look at it, it's actually beneficial to come up against the best teams more frequently if we're going to become a top team again.

I know where you’re coming from but we are currently in a rebuilding stage.
If we play the top teams all the time we are likely to be on the end of a few floggings which is likely to will stunt our development.
Rather we played bottom 8 sides more so the guys can try to build some momentum just for next season at least.

I know where you’re coming from but we are currently in a rebuilding stage.
If we play the top teams all the time we are likely to be on the end of a few floggings which is likely to will stunt our development.
Rather we played bottom 8 sides more so the guys can try to build some momentum just for next season at least.
It's true that some easy games to get us into form again would be nice, but I actually think a hard slog, and plenty of chances to face the best teams is the best way to re-build some character. If I was Walters, I'd be absolutely spewing seeing that draw though, he's easily got the hardest coaching gig in the NRL next year, so even making the top 8 will be a massive turn around. We're going to need some Walters magic for sure, I sincerely hope he has the coaching chops.

Last edited:
It's true that some easy games to get us into form again would be nice, but I actually think a hard slog, and plenty of chances to face the best teams is the best way to re-build some character. If I was Walters, I'd be absolutely spewing seeing that draw though, he's easily got the hardest coaching gig in the NRL next year, so even making the top 8 will be a massive turn around. We're going to need some Walters magic for sure, I sincerely hope he has the coaching chops.

If Walters can get us into the top 8 next season he should be in the frame for coach of the year.

If Walters can get us into the top 8 next season he should be in the frame for coach of the year.

right up until he gets the Broncos handicap that takes him out of the running

Don’t get me wrong, as I don’t disagree.

But surely you understand that when absolutely everything is stacked against you, even if you’re the best in the world, some challenges are quite literally insurmountable.

As an example only; it may be that with some tough games (against the form teams of 2020) to open the season it serves to help us build really strong form toward the end of the year, perhaps even bordering on being the form team of the comp, only to miss the finals because we got absolutely hammered by the draw and having to play top 8 teams rather than a balanced, reasonable draw.

Following on the example above; of course we could just as easily lose to the weak teams to start the season too. But shouldn’t each team be given the same opportunities to face the same sort of competition, rather than some teams seemingly being given a free pass whilst others face murderers row?

If your struggling to make the 8, your in the passenger section of the finals if you make it anyway.

Don’t get me wrong, as I don’t disagree.

But surely you understand that when absolutely everything is stacked against you, even if you’re the best in the world, some challenges are quite literally insurmountable.

As an example only; it may be that with some tough games (against the form teams of 2020) to open the season it serves to help us build really strong form toward the end of the year, perhaps even bordering on being the form team of the comp, only to miss the finals because we got absolutely hammered by the draw and having to play top 8 teams rather than a balanced, reasonable draw.

Following on the example above; of course we could just as easily lose to the weak teams to start the season too. But shouldn’t each team be given the same opportunities to face the same sort of competition, rather than some teams seemingly being given a free pass whilst others face murderers row?
I get that, and the fairest way is to do some basic maths, 16 only plays team 1, once, plays teams in the bottom 8 twice, etc. It would be a completely fair draw that is instantly calculated based on finishing of the previous year, but it is what it is. We're a popular club and the networks control the schedule.

We can either sulk about it, or say **** the good teams, we ARE the good teams, and we'll fight every game to win it. That's what the old Broncos would have done and that's what I hope Walters can bring back.

I get that, and the fairest way is to do some basic maths, 16 only plays team 1, once, plays teams in the bottom 8 twice, etc. It would be a completely fair draw that is instantly calculated based on finishing of the previous year, but it is what it is. We're a popular club and the networks control the schedule.

We can either sulk about it, or say **** the good teams, we ARE the good teams, and we'll fight every game to win it. That's what the old Broncos would have done and that's what I hope Walters can bring back.

The old Broncos were good teams though, these days we’d struggle to compete in Qld Cup.

We've had one bad season FFS

Injury ravaged and COVID affected, to boot. Not making excuses, but that's fairly undeniable. People are acting like we're the South Queensland Crushers all of a sudden.

Injury ravaged and COVID affected, to boot. Not making excuses, but that's fairly undeniable. People are acting like we're the South Queensland Crushers all of a sudden.

But they are excuses. Did any other team have injuries? Was any other team Covid affected? Did any other team have one of the worst seasons of all time statistically? Has any other team gone backwards in its squad after finishing last?

We've had one bad season FFS

I don’t really want to get into all this again but this is more than just one bad season, this is seasons of bad decisions coming together.

We could have had a side next season with all of these names associated with it:

Su’A
Allan
Bennett
Bird
Nikorima
Fifita
Collins
Foulasuainaammaamssinnssa
Arrow

Except we don’t and are likely to also pay other clubs up to a million dollars to have our players playing for them next year.

So yeah, this ‘one season’ is not just as it seems.

I don’t really want to get into all this again but this is more than just one bad season, this is seasons of bad decisions coming together.

We could have had a side next season with all of these names associated with it:

Su’A
Allan
Bennett
Bird
Nikorima
Fifita
Collins
Foulasuainaammaamssinnssa
Arrow

Except we don’t and are likely to also pay other clubs up to a million dollars to have our players playing for them next year.

So yeah, this ‘one season’ is not just as it seems.

Bennett himself released (or allowed to leave) several of those players
one or 2 others the majority of the forum were happy to be rid off
and at least 1 of those would have been stupid to offer the money required to keep him

Bennett himself released (or allowed to leave) several of those players
one or 2 others the majority of the forum were happy to be rid off
and at least 1 of those would have been stupid to offer the money required to keep him

I do not and have not ever resolved Bennett of blame in his time here either. The whole organisation has been on a downward spiral for years, it was accelerated by a truly rubbish and out of his depth coach but the problems have been coming from the board longer than Seibold. He was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

I do not and have not ever resolved Bennett of blame in his time here either. The whole organisation has been on a downward spiral for years, it was accelerated by a truly rubbish and out of his depth coach but the problems have been coming from the board longer than Seibold. He was the straw that broke the camel’s back.
Bennett if anything just managed to hold together a rapidly declining organisation in place a little longer than it had a right to be. Bennett wasn't exactly taking us forward anymore, but history has shown he might well have been just barely keeping us out of the deep shit.

As soon as you removed the Bennett factor and gave us anything less than a very competent Coach, it took a club already mostly treading water and attached a set of concrete boots to the place.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • broncoscope
  • Xzei
  • Lurker
  • BroncsNBundy
  • marw
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.