Brisbane Broncos New Coach

Re: Our New Coach

Broncos to announce Bennett replacement

April 19, 2008

THE Brisbane Broncos are tipped to announce the club's replacement coach for Wayne Bennett.
Speculation is rife assistant coach Ivan Henjak will be only the second coach in the club's 21 years after Melbourne's Craig Bellamy re-signed long term with the Melbourne Storm.

It's understood Henjak has been offered a two-year deal to make his head coaching debut with the six-time premiers next season.

Brisbane have called a press conference this morning to make an important announcement about its future.

Bellamy had been considered the man most likely to take over from Bennett who is heading to St George Illawarra next season, ending the NRL's longest coaching stint at one club which began when the Broncos entered the premiership in 1988.

Bellamy ended months of speculation about his future by agreeing to a five-year deal worth an estimated $2.5 million.

Others mentioned as Bennett's possible replacement are St Helens and former New Zealand Warriors coach Daniel Anderson and departing north Queensland coach Graham Murray.

AAP

thats already posted in another thread, has the press conference started yet?

??? When does Terry Mathersons contract in the UK end???

matterson had a get out clause if he was offered NRL job........

has the press conference even started yet?....

Folkes was on my list but not Murray?Is this the media speculating again. [icon_shru
Heard Henjak for three to be announced today in the Courier Mail.
Another poster also said that Matto is heading out to talk to the Broncos today

the only two they should be considering is Henjak or Gould(never gonna happen, although he would still be in qld after last night?...).....

THE WOW Brisbane Broncos are pleased to announce that Ivan Henjak will take over the head coaching reins of the club from the 2009 season.

After a thorough and exhaustive search, the Broncos found their man in their own backyard, with current assistant coach Henjak accepting the position this morning.

Henjak will assume the role when current coach Wayne Bennett departs at the end of this year, effective for the 2009 and 2010 seasons.

“I am really pleased that Ivan has accepted the position,†said Broncos’ chief executive Bruno Cullen.

“We have often been asked about the length of time and the long process we have been following, but we can say that that process has delivered Ivan as our new head coach.

“Ivan has been a Bronco through and through. He has been here since 1994, he knows the systems, and he knows the culture.

“Importantly, he has the support of the players, the administration, and the board.

“We would like to congratulate him on his appointment and look forward to him taking us into another successful era for the Broncos.â€Â

Henjak said he was excited to become the new coach of the Brisbane Broncos.

“I will be honoured to be coach of this club,†he said.

“To become the second coach of the Broncos is a very special thing.

“I am very grateful to be given a chance like this.â€Â

Henjak had a distinguished playing career, appearing in 185 first grade games for Canberra, Western Suburbs and St George, as well as a stint with English club Hull.

A halfback, he was a part of the famous 1989 grand final team that delivered the first premiership to Canberra.

He came to the Broncos in 1994 and coached the reserve grade team until 2000.

In 2004 he headed up recruitment for the Broncos, and has been Bennett’s assistant coach since the premiership year of 2006.

Great news [eusa_clap.gi

lets hope hes in the box alongside bennett nxt friday night........

Good to finally get it out of the way. Congratulations to him

Was disappointed to miss out on Bellamy last night. But this is definetly the next best option, we did not want to throw someone in under the pressure of succeeding Bennett. This way, we have a system that works for us, we now have a coach that respects and trusts those systems in place and is not going to make massive changes, but instead just add there own flavour. Best of luck Ivan. Will have my full support. I think its up to the players we have now to play for the man, as long as they take up the challenge, we will be fine.

Good news. [eusa_clap.gi Now we might be able to get on with seeing players coming or going and getting it settled.Then we can play better footy with our hearts in it a bit more than we did last night

You are a crap piece of work Bruno and were left in the lurch when the man you needed most was right under your nose.3nd choice.I would have told him to shove it if I had been I.H.

Go prove yourself I.H.which I am sure you will.

another Canberra boy and NSWelshman(leaves a bitter taste)........ I would say Locky will get a crack somtime in the next decade he looked like a coach last night in the rooms......

Kee said:
Good news. [eusa_clap.gi Now we might be able to get on with seeing players coming or going and getting it settled.Then we can play better footy with our hearts in it a bit more than we did last night

You are a crap piece of work Bruno and were left in the lurch when the man you needed most was right under your nose.3nd choice.I would have told him to shove it if I had been I.H.

Go prove yourself I.H.which I am sure you will.

That's pure media speculation. From what I've read, they didn't push all that hard for Bellamy, and Henry said he wanted to move to Brisbane, I didn't see too much about Brisbane going after him.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Griffo
  • sooticus
  • Reds2011
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Wolfie
  • Broncorob
  • Dash
  • broncsgoat
  • mrslong
  • bb_gun
  • Mr Fourex
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Fitzy
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.