Brisbane Broncos prop Mitchell Garbutt reveals bizarre back injury

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...arre-back-injury/story-fniabm4i-1227218937052

MITCH Garbutt sparked a Broncos training mystery that had fans puzzled for two weeks but now he has declared there was no conspiracy about his absence from Red Hill.

Rumours abounded last month that Garbutt had a serious injury or had been cut, but the truth was a strange back injury, which kept Garbutt sidelined during the pre-season, ruling him out of trials he was expected to star in.
The fearsome former Melbourne prop is fully healed and intends to begin making up for lost time on Saturday night.

Garbutt and fringe first-graders Travis Waddell, Greg Eden and Jayden Nikorima will headline the Broncos trial squad of 20 to take on Wynnum Manly at Kougari Oval.
Missing the Auckland Nines and World Club Challenge was a disappointing start to life with a new club and the hit-out against the Seagulls is Garbutt’s opportunity to push for a Round 1 bench position.
“I hurt my back just after Christmas, but I am good to go now,” Garbutt said of his training absence that had social media bizarrely buzzing.
“It (missing the trials) was just a precautionary thing more than anything.
“Jeremy Hickmans (Broncos conditioner) has been really good with the rehab side of it.
“He has been monitoring my work throughout the pre-season and we believe I am good to go.”

he Broncos won the race to sign Garbutt late last year, a move the 25-year-old looks back on with delight.
“It’s very exciting coming up to the Broncos,” he said. “They are a great club and I am thrilled to play under Wayne (Bennett).
“I have to play the type of footy that Wayne wants, good carries up the middle and strong, hard defence. If I keep doing the little things right I am in with a chance.”
Garbutt played only nine first grade games after linking with the Storm in 2013 and had been forced to ply his trade with Easts Tigers in Brisbane.
Tigers coach Craig Ingebrigtsen said Garbutt had the ability to become a seasoned first grader.
“I know Garbs is an NRL player,” Ingebrigtsen said. “He has done his apprenticeship in the Queensland Cup, and was easily the best front-rower in the competition.
“The timing seems right for him and for the Broncos as well.
“I know that when he starts playing NRL regularly he will be a solid player for the Broncos.’’

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Canga
  • Stix
  • GCBRONCO
  • Allo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Lozza
  • I bleed Maroon
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.