OFFICIAL Brisbane Broncos sign John Cartwright, Terry Matterson as Kevin Walters’ assistants

You don't reckon Kevvie is a good halves coach?

From what I have seen he is both a good halves coach and attack coach. Does either Cartwright or Matterson have experience as defence coaches?

Clearly Seibold only wanted yes men around - not assistant coaches. He seemed so set in his ways an opinionated assistant coach would clash and only cause arguments. His way at or the highway.
This became Greens downfall at the cowboys in the end, he surrounded himself with numpties & yes men.
In 2015 he had Furner & ...............(drum roll)........John Cartwright as assistants

he seems like a decent halves coach himself. it's definitely one area where he should take a hands on role
KW doesn't need any extra help with the halves. Between Alf and himself they'll have the halves going gangbusters. I have no doubt that KW has the halves covered. I got it wrong about McCullough and I am glad he'll be back to tidy up in the middle.

I have a sneaking suspicion that KW knows we need a couple of extra workhorse forwards and will sign a couple. Obvious to everyone is the fact that the only way is up and I'm optimistic now that an old school coach is 'in da house'.

I love Mourinho and the sense of theatre he brings to the game. Sport is so much better when the people put in front of the media are able to speak freely and without the kind of censorship that would make the KGC and the Central Committee blush.

The NRL too would be a far more entertaining spectacle if players and coaches could actually speak their mind at the predetermined media conferences that they are forced to attend.
I'm sure the coaches and players would like to do that as well, but they cant because the bottom feeding media turn everything they say into a headline.

Dickheads like Paul Kunt complain that there are no characters anymore but in the next breath start spewing shit by taking quotes out of context.

Down in Melbourne the AFL media is the complete opposite... it seems like the AFL players or admin do no wrong, but I'd say it's more like media down there protecting their own in order to promote the game.

They know flinging mud reduces the reputation of the sport so they dont bother with the click bait... unless something extreme happens or something happens in the public eye and they're forced to address it.

It's somewhat similar in American sports... or at least it used to be when I was watching it religiously about 10yrs ago. Sports Center would rarely deviate outside of the actual sports and tactics of the sport unless it was something serious.

AFL want to get into the international market so their media at least portray it as something resembling a professional sports administration... NSWRL is more occupied with getting into TMZ

Last edited:
You don't reckon Kevvie is a good halves coach?

Sure. Problem is he’s now the head coach of a glamour club that’s just won the spoon.

He's already going to have a lot on his plate and adding on more roles is not the way to go. His primary focus should be focusing on the squad as a whole. There are competent people he can bring in that can give the halves the attention and mentoring they need. We need to remember that Kevvie is very inexperienced as a head coach in the NRL. He just needs to keep his job simple.

Sure. Problem is he’s now the head coach of a glamour club that’s just won the spoon.

He's already going to have a lot on his plate and adding on more roles is not the way to go. His primary focus should be focusing on the squad as a whole. There are competent people he can bring in that can give the halves the attention and mentoring they need. We need to remember that Kevvie is very inexperienced as a head coach in the NRL. He just needs to keep his job simple.

I’d argue getting his halves firing and buying in is critical to that. His very capable assistants can do the forwards and backs stuff, Kevvie should oversee the halves’ craft. The halves are what your entire attack revolves around.

Last edited:
The way JT spoke about CS9 last night made me sit up and take notice. He said something out of the blue along the lines of "he's done everything there is to be done with the Storm so finishing up elsewhere is also another sensible option". JT and CS9 are real tight and I reckon he knows something we don't. I can't remember the conversation exactly, but at the time I said to myself "why are you saying that JT that possibility was never even mentioned".

The fact CS9 took the lap of honour and let the boys chair him off Lang Park is difficult to understand. It's not his last game, he still has the GF. So maybe it was his last game in Queensland. If it wasn't I'm sure he would have knocked back that particular honour reserved for retiring greats.

The way JT spoke about CS9 last night made me sit up and take notice. He said something out of the blue along the lines of "he's done everything there is to be done with the Storm so finishing up elsewhere is also another sensible option". JT and CS9 are real tight and I reckon he knows something we don't. I can't remember the conversation exactly, but at the time I said to myself "why are you saying that JT that possibility was never even mentioned".

The fact CS9 took the lap of honour and let the boys chair him off Lang Park is difficult to understand. It's not his last game, he still has the GF. So maybe it was his last game in Queensland. If it wasn't I'm sure he would have knocked back that particular honour reserved for retiring greats.

Remember when he had a testimonial 150 years ago also reserved only for retiring greats?

He's pretty obviously retiring but is just fucking with the media, in particular Paul Kunt.

I like Smith now, **** the germs, announce it the day after they lose the Grand final.

Kevvie kept referring to him finishing up with the Storm rather than retiring, too. Probably nothing though, I think he's retiring.

Kevvie kept referring to him finishing up with the Storm rather than retiring, too. Probably nothing though, I think he's retiring.
But the way JT was talking I got the feeling he knew CS9 was planning on finishing up at another club.

Last edited:

Didn't Kevvie say he is taking Milford "under his wing" so to speak? Seems to me that one of Kevvie's passions is halves play, not surprisingly, so apart from his interest there, he recognises as @Sproj posted, how dire our halves combinations have been, and how important it is to fix it, and the spine in general.

Last edited:
Well I can't wait for the offseason to start and next season to get closer... It seriously was a rapid fall off the cliff to rock bottom these last two years and the rebound could be just as strong and fast.
I'm planning on putting a lazy $100 on us, worst case I lose a hundred.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • kman
  • Big Del
  • Rambstien
  • Kev_Guz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Wolfie
  • Fozz
  • Bish
  • BroncosAlways
  • HarryAllan7
  • Battler
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Morkel
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Culhwch
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Cavalo
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.