OFFICIAL Brisbane Broncos sign John Cartwright, Terry Matterson as Kevin Walters’ assistants

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Courier Mail

CM is saying Cartwright and Matterson have signed two years deals.

“I’m very happy with the people I’m putting in place,” Walters said.“There is a lot of work to be done and I can’t do this all on my own, I need a good team around me. “I’m not sure if they have signed yet but ‘Carty’ and Terry are well down the track with everything. They will be my assistants and I won’t be looking for more than that, we don’t need too many assistants running around. “I have never worked with Carty but I played with him in Australian teams and played against him. “I just like Carty’s record. He has been around for 20 years, he has been a head coach at the Titans so I believe he can bring a lot of experience to the place, as will Terry, who knows the DNA of the Broncos.”

“I am still sorting all the staff out,” he said. “‘Cozza’ was doing some work with the forwards this season. “I’m not sure exactly how much he did because I wasn’t around and I’m getting around to working everything out. “I need to have more meetings but the answer to that right now is I’m not sure if Corey will still be there.”

“I’m not sure what’s going on,” Parker said. “At this stage, the Broncos are waiting for the dust to settle on everything. ‘Kevvie’ has just been appointed so there’s a fair bit going on with some changes there. We’ll see what happens. “I don’t know if I will be there. My last conversation with Kevvie was that he wants to use me but there has been no confirmation. I feel I can offer some value there helping the young forwards but it’s up to Kevvie.”

Last edited:
What experience does matterson have with coaching?

What experience does matterson have with coaching?

A lot, been everywhere- he was US coach at the WC, coached and CEO at Norths and was about to start coaching Easts, been Tigers head of football last two years, Cowboys under Henry, Raiders, Skills coach at the Broncos, Toowoomba head coach and Titans.

He's done a lot of different roles. He told the Tigers' players this week he was starting at the Broncos November 1.

I expect Jamayne Isaako and Kotoni Staggs to be toe poking the ball from now on.
I'm kinda think we might have someone else work on goal kicking, but in his day he was pretty good as far as toe pokers go.
Im sure he will be pretty busy without even thinking about goal kicking but he's been around enough to do it if he had to.
I think locker could certainly help with that aspect of the game and kicking in general if it came down to it. If Scott prince is still around I'm sure he could coach it too.

Awesome lineup right there... I reckon Jharal Yow Yeh would be great in a mentor role.

also sounds like Kurt Richards will be remaining on the team as well, particularly around the development areas

"Richo is a good bloke and does a great job with the pathways into the NRL squad so he will remain a great asset," Walters said.

Just need one coach to **** off joffa tpj and lodge and tell the remainder that you need to produce first, win something, then get paid later.

Just need one coach to **** off joffa tpj and lodge and tell the remainder that you need to produce first, win something, then get paid later.

don't hold your breath ...

you might get these guys to **** off Joffa ... but sounds like Walters wants to keep both TPJ and Lodge (despite what **** ... sorry Kent) will have you believe

Awesome lineup right there... I reckon Jharal Yow Yeh would be great in a mentor role.
Wonder if he'd be able to, the club let him go with the covid cutbacks and he's got a job hosting the afternoon show on the local country music/indigenous radio station. A few times I've heard him talking about the Broncos and even over the radio waves you can hear he still bleeds for the club.

**** I've just gone and made myself sad again now.

Unread

Active Now

• Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.