NEWS Brisbane can't afford to wait for Milford

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Milforda 18030821nh

Darren Lockyer says the time has come for Anthony Milford to take control of the Broncos

March 9, 2018

Source: Courier Mail

Last edited by a moderator:
Just fucking stop with this bullshit. Anthony will never be a game manager!

He simply doesn't have the footy intelligence for it. His instincts and what makes him exceptional, are being coached out of him by forcing him into that role.

Yeap lets leave those duties to another ball runner in the side and see where that gets us. On the flip side I'm all for Milford to never put a boot to the ball period.

Yeap lets leave those duties to another ball runner in the side and see where that gets us. I'm all for Milford to never put a boot to the ball period.
Could Macca take that pressure off Milford? It doesn't always have to be a half that takes control

Could Macca take that pressure off Milford? It doesn't always have to be a half that takes control

Watch the game last night, Macca was kicking from dummy half, not great but he at least was looking to kick it to the areas it needed to go, not just put in a grubber with so much power it gives the opposition a 7 tackle set. It's pretty sad but when it comes to our kicking game, we got more potential from our wingers and our hooker, then our fullback, 5/8th or halfback.

Sorry to say but I don't think he will ever will learn anything. Smith, Cronk and Thurston learnt it hard way.

Just fucking stop with this bullshit. Anthony will never be a game manager!

He simply doesn't have the footy intelligence for it. His instincts and what makes him exceptional, are being coached out of him by forcing him into that role.
Port, if he isn't a game manager but also doesn't play well when others are taking control of the team then what use is he to this team? He is a shadow of his former self, even strictly as a runner. The bloke was a one trick pony and he's been worked out. I am so pissed that he was handed a one million dollar contract and he gave us that bullshit last night, meanwhile the players we lost to pay him have played really well so far this weekend. We really could have used someone like Ese'Ese last night.

I'm tired of excuses being made for him and being called a troll for criticizing him. He needs to find his place and he needs to bring more than a running game to earn the contract he's been signed on.

If you're a 5/8 you're a play maker, and if you're a play maker, you by definition, take a large measure of control of what plays the team execute. Otherwise, you don't belong there, and that for mine is a coaching issue. I remember exactly what Milf did in 2015 (as well as remembering what he did as a FB before that).

How he plays and where he plays is, like I reckon, 99% a coaching issue. Milf needs to take some responsibility of course, but so do the coaching staff, and this conversation has been going on without resolution now for 2 seasons.

Port, if he isn't a game manager but also doesn't play well when others are taking control of the team then what use is he to this team? He is a shadow of his former self, even strictly as a runner. The bloke was a one trick pony and he's been worked out. I am so pissed that he was handed a one million dollar contract and he gave us that bullshit last night, meanwhile the players we lost to pay him have played really well so far this weekend. We really could have used someone like Ese'Ese last night.

I'm tired of excuses being made for him and being called a troll for criticizing him. He needs to find his place and he needs to bring more than a running game to earn the contract he's been signed on.

Some fair points cult. That kick out of dummy half last night was less than base contract standard. To have to shovel it to a workhorse forward with one eye to kick was an utter embarrassment

Boyd has lost all his pace and running. Milf isn't a half, but is still a dangerous runner. Its almost like they could swap positions and add to the team.

I think Milf still has a lot of potential. He is a fully instinctive player atm, which is why I get confused when people say he looked good running plays last year. To me it just looked like a mess, only helped by individual talent.

Anyway, as I said, I think he has a lot of potential. It just seems like someone who doesn't really want to learn or listen. Wasn't there an article a year ago where he rejected Locky's help? I think he can learn, like Thurston did. Just needs to be willing. It's actually why I thought Kodi should get the shot running the side - to me it looked like he was much more willing to learn than Milf.

Milford has a lot of flaws and only one of them is his inability to be a play maker. He has a shitty attitude. If anyone deserves and would learn from being dropped to the bench or QLD Cup it's him. He needs a kick in the butt more than anyone else. When Hunt was dropped he was still trying his ass off, Milford is literally invisible.

And what's the excuse for 2016? Hunt was still expected to play make and game manage and Milford wasn't any good then too. That's why I think the criticism is fair after round 1. Because it's the same shit he's been dishing up for 2 years now.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if boyd and milf swapped positions. Boyd is great at the line excellent at putting people through holes I think would be a good 5/8th. He is more of a distributor than milf reminds me of foran when hes playing in the line. Milf needs more space to run second man plays and could have more scope from the back. Still doesnt solve our number 7 issue. We need someone to control the game and kick. Niki doesnt halve that confidence yet, but wouldnt rule out him getting there.

His price tag keeps being brought up, but it's Wayne "can do no wrong" Bennett who chose to offer him that million dollars, and then decided to coach out of him what made him worth a million dollars in the first place, by pushing him to do what he clearly can't and is unsuited for.

He hasn't had one partner actually capable of taking control of the team at the Broncos. Hunt was the one who came closest to it (2015), but even then it was clear he is also not a game manager or organiser. And without such a player next to him, and a forward pack setting the pace, people are asking miracles he won't be able to deliver.

I don't agree he's a one trick pony, but even if he was, it's a trick the opposition can't stop. Agility, elusiveness and speed can't be coached, and he's got spades of it, associated to an above average talent to play the game. That's what is worth the million bucks!

Unfortunately, he doesn't have the footy intelligence of a Locky or Thurston to go with it, so asking him to manage the team and a game is a waste, and paraphrasing you, made him a shadow of his former self.

Bennett is by far the most responsible for the state the team is in, including Milford, but his past seems to make him immune to criticism, at least to a large amount of people.

Last edited:
I don't know about other folks, but for me it's not as simple as "Wayne 'can do no wrong' Bennett"

Wayne is human and is therefore capable of making mistakes

But he is one of the greatest coaches in history and I have never even played the game, so I really want to be careful when I hold the opinion that I'm right and WB got it wrong

It's actually possible that I am right, and WB is wrong, but the likelihood is higher it's the other way around

Still, he CAN and HAS made mistakes in the past and a lot of folks on here think he's made one here, and you may well be right

Instinctive or not he still needs to learn these faucets of the game ! You seriously can't tell me he can never learn these things, it's a part of a footballers career. People learn every day so why can't milford ? He learnt how to step,jink and flick pass! It all comes down to application and practice. Which is exactly what locky is talking about ...

His price tag keeps being brought up, but it's Wayne "can do no wrong" Bennett who chose to offer him that million dollars, and then decided to coach out of him what made him worth a million dollars in the first place, by pushing him to do what he clearly can't and is unsuited for.

He hasn't had one partner actually capable of taking control of the team at the Broncos. Hunt was the one who came closest to it (2015), but even then it was clear he is also not a game manager or organiser. And without such a player next to him, and a forward pack setting the pace, people are asking miracles he won't be able to deliver.

I don't agree he's a one trick pony, but even if he was, it's a trick the opposition can't stop. Agility, elusiveness and speed can't be coached, and he's got spades of it, associated to an above average talent to play the game. That's what is worth the million bucks!

Unfortunately, he doesn't have the footy intelligence of a Locky or Thurston to go with it, so asking him to manage the team and a game is a waste, and paraphrasing you, made him a shadow of his former self.

Bennett is by far the most responsible for the state the team is in, including Milford, but his past seems to make him immune to criticism, at least to a large amount of people.
That's because the jury is still out on whether he has coached it out of him by giving him some extra responsibilities or if it's just that Milford is lazy and a dumb footballer that can't add anything new to his game. One of them we see on screen weekly and the other isn't public knowledge.

Wayne chose to offer it to him because he was touring the Storms facilities and holding it over the club. We need someone like Milford at the Broncos, don't get me wrong. He just needs to do something, anything! I honestly doubt that Bennett has told him to not run at all. He's just trying to add more to his game so it's not as predictable.

Speed might not be coached but it sure as hell can be forgotten. And in Milfords case it absolutely has been, in every part of his game. He can't even play the ball quickly. Bennett might have made an error recently with Taylor (which he got plenty of criticism for) but why does everyone keep making excuses for Milford? Bennett isn't the one coaching him to stare at the ref and slowly play the ball. He's not the one coaching him to drop balls left, right and centre. He's sure as hell not coaching him to pass to McGuire on the last or to slowly run sideways and hand it off to a forward for a hit up. He's not coaching him to kick it into the oppositions legs or to put on as much weight as he did last year and the year before. Where is his accountability? He's not an 18 year old kid anymore.

That's because the jury is still out on whether he has coached it out of him by giving him some extra responsibilities or if it's just that Milford is lazy and a dumb footballer that can't add anything new to his game. One of them we see on screen weekly and the other isn't public knowledge.

Wayne chose to offer it to him because he was touring the Storms facilities and holding it over the club. We need someone like Milford at the Broncos, don't get me wrong. He just needs to do something, anything! I honestly doubt that Bennett has told him to not run at all. He's just trying to add more to his game so it's not as predictable.

Speed might not be coached but it sure as hell can be forgotten. And in Milfords case it absolutely has been, in every part of his game. He can't even play the ball quickly. Bennett might have made an error recently with Taylor (which he got plenty of criticism for) but why does everyone keep making excuses for Milford? Bennett isn't the one coaching him to stare at the ref and slowly play the ball. He's not the one coaching him to drop balls left, right and centre. He's sure as hell not coaching him to pass to McGuire on the last or to slowly run sideways and hand it off to a forward for a hit up. He's not coaching him to kick it into the oppositions legs or to put on as much weight as he did last year and the year before. Where is his accountability? He's not an 18 year old kid anymore.

So what is Bennet actually coaching him to do?

Active Now

• Sproj
  • john1420
  • The Strapper
  • Brocko
  • broncotville
  • Bish
  • Wolfie
  • davidp
  • jarro65
  • Foordy
  • Financeguy
  • Fozz
  • Fitzy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Strop
  • Xzei
  • Evander
  • broncos4life
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.