NEWS Brisbane CEO Paul White to extend contract with the Broncos

Just so you know, I’m not anti-White at all. He is doing a decent job but it doesn’t mean, like you said, things can’t be done better.

He is the boss, while money might be going up, he needs to ensure continued excellence and satisfaction among shareholders. I do believe Brisbane supporters are taken for granted and if I’m a shareholder (which I may or may not be), -I want my investment doing as well as if can and yes, game day experience is a big part of that.

No it isn’t White’s job to scour the local music scene, etc but it is his job to put the best people in place in each part of the company.
I agree 100% that this is a critical part of his role. Perhaps the most critical part aside from the balance sheet overall.

As I said previously, the jury is out on his ability to do this to some extent. I think he got the best Coach money could buy in Bennett at the time. I think he showed guts to go after the best going forward in Bellamy, knowing it would put him at odds with Bennett but that it was probably important for the club long term. I think his inability to land the Bellamy deal should count against him especially considering we had more than enough financial clout to win that tug of war, and I think if Seibold fails then that should count against him too (though Coaching appointments, whilst negotiated by the CEO, are not solely chosen by the CEO at the Broncos or at any football club).

I'm from Sydney so I don't attend home games regularly, but if the match day experience needs improving then perhaps we need to recruit better in that regard. If people make enough noise about it I'm sure they will. If the CEO is prepared to replace Wayne Bennett for the good of the club, we can probably safely assume he's prepared to replace the people organising our match day experience for the same reasons.

As I've said, we're not a perfect club and he is not a perfect CEO, but in the NRL amongst his peers he's almost certainly the best out there and the financial results he's overseen so far should be something we seek to continue through him re-signing for another term. If our footballing results don't improve, I suspect he'll find it hard to maintain the growth we currently enjoy, so it's now on him to ensure we have the right people in place to deliver good footballing results to shore up the strong financial results we already have.

Last edited:
Then by all means, write to the club and share your thoughts. I have no doubt they would take feedback on game day experiences very seriously.

Honestly though, this is about Paul White, the CEO of a 50+ million dollar a year business. If you think he's out scouring the local music scene for talent to bring along on game days, then you're really missing the point.

His job is to deliver financial security and growth, which he's delivered in spades. Could aspects of our business be improved? Of course they could. No business could say they couldn't improve. But his job isn't to drive crowd figures or win Premierships or find good music for game day events, it's to put the best people the club can afford in those positions to make that happen, but ultimately, his first and foremost responsibility is to ensure our financial strength overall and so long as he is doing that, he could reasonably be considered to be doing well at his job.
[automerge]1569977597[/automerge]

If you don't feel the club cares about you then I really sincerely encourage you to vote with your feet and your wallet. This is a publicly traded company and the moment they feel a pinch in their bottom line, you can fully expect them to sit up and take notice just like Apple or General Motors would. I'd be furious at Paul White if he didnt. But like I said, it's not his job to win games or make game days more fun, it's his job to drive a financial result and no one could argue he isn't achieving that. The moment he stops doing that, whether its next year, or in 5 years or never at all, then by all means people are entitled to blame the CEO for not doing his job well enough.
Starting to feel like Kooly loves White. The crowds have dropped, we have lost almost 6000 attendees over the past 5 years. All they did was raise ticket and membership prices to retain the earnings. They haven't done anything to make the game day experience better.

Then I humbly suggest to you that you might misunderstand the role of a CEO in a business like this.
Why is he involved in the football side of it at all?

Starting to feel like Kooly loves White. The crowds have dropped, we have lost almost 6000 attendees over the past 5 years. All they did was raise ticket and membership prices to retain the earnings. They haven't done anything to make the game day experience better.
Without going into the intricacies of what determines attendances both within and outside of the football club's control, let me just make it clear that I don't determine a CEO's worth to a business based on crowd figures or what the pre game entertainment is like, and if you do, then you just flat out don't understand the function of a CEO within a publicly traded business.

If Apple sells less iPhones next year, but grows its's revenue overall through increasing pricing or pursuing other revenue streams etc, they are absolutely not going to punt the CEO of Apple anymore than our crowd figures should dictate us punting Paul White.
[automerge]1569980128[/automerge]
Why is he involved in the football side of it at all?
Is this a serious question?

I mean, who else should be negotiating the contracts for key staff? Who else writes the cheques and determines the budgets and sets KPI's etc? You do know what a CEO is right?

Last edited:
Without going into the intricacies of what determines attendances both within and outside of the football club's control, let me just make it clear that I don't determine a CEO's worth to a business based on crowd figures or what the pre game entertainment is like, and if you do, then you just flat out don't understand the function of a CEO within a publicly traded business.

If Apple sells less iPhones next year, but grows its's revenue overall through increasing pricing or pursuing other revenue streams etc, they are absolutely not going to punt the CEO of Apple anymore than our crowd figures should dictate us punting Paul White.
I like how you are comparing the Broncos and Paul Whites performance to one of the least liked companies in the world. I'm not saying he needs to do the pregame entertainment, i'm saying him, alongside the rest of the organisation need to care more about the members and fans because it seems like they don't. They take the cheap option by not throwing the cheque book at belamy, and they don't seem to give a **** about on field performance. It's been 13 years since a premiership. It's ridiculous.

I like how you are comparing the Broncos and Paul Whites performance to one of the least liked companies in the world.

It's an apt comparison.

like the Broncos, Apple has a large number of passionate fans ... but everyone else hates them

Last edited:
I like how you are comparing the Broncos and Paul Whites performance to one of the least liked companies in the world. I'm not saying he needs to do the pregame entertainment, i'm saying him, alongside the rest of the organisation need to care more about the members and fans because it seems like they don't. They take the cheap option by not throwing the cheque book at belamy, and they don't seem to give a **** about on field performance. It's been 13 years since a premiership. It's ridiculous.
If you read what I write, you'd see I've said several times now that missing Bellamy was a in my eyes a mistake and one that should seriously count against Paul White. He's the best in the business, he had at least some interest in joining us, and Paul White should have made that happen. It also lead to a messy breakup with Bennett, though I suspect that was inevitable whether we signed Bellamy or not. Now he's overseen the recruitment of Siebold (though like all clubs, a panel made that decision, not just Paul White - White's role is primarily deciding how much to pay him and for how long) and for better or worse now, his legacy to some extent hangs on Seibold delivering a footballing result and only time can tell on that.

As for the 13 year drought, well I'm not sure how White can be held accountable for the half of that period where he didn't work for us in any capacity? That aside though, it isn't his job to win Premierships, that's what we pay players and Coaches for, so if you're angry about that, then they deserve far more of the blame than Paul White does.

Is this a serious question?

I mean, who else should be negotiating the contracts for key staff? Who else writes the cheques and determines the budgets and sets KPI's etc? You do know what a CEO is right?

Well he's clearly good at some parts of his job and not others. He should give someone else the responsibility of running the football side.

hahah ok. But who’s going to coach the coach?
He's answerable to the CEO for his results. This is why the club under White sacked Griffin, it's why they sought to replace Bennett, and history suggests that if Seibold fails, White will probably sack him too.

To what extent the board would blame White for a failed Seibold appointment really depends on what role he played in selecting Seibold in the first place, as it was a panel of people, not just White, who appointed the new Coach. In fact you could probably assume that as the least football minded of the panel, White's role as CEO in the process was likely negotiating the actual nuts and bolts of the deal to get it over the line.

Last edited:
So great to see he was exempt from the club review. What a joke and the review should have extended to the whole organisation from top to bottom not just the players and coaching staff. He made a mess of that the coaching saga, signing past it players to long term deals and signing a rookie coach to a 5 year deal. That's not good business regardless of what people think and he should go especially in the football side of things.

So great to see he was exempt from the club review. What a joke and the review should have extended to the whole organisation from top to bottom not just the players and coaching staff. He made a mess of that the coaching saga, signing past it players to long term deals and signing a rookie coach to a 5 year deal. That's not good business regardless of what people think and he should go especially in the football side of things.

he wouldn't have been exempt at all ... it is just that a CEO's KPI's differ from that of the playing squad/coaches.

A CEO's KPI's focus on the business/financial side of organisation. a side of the organisation that is at record high levels.

there is a very good reason why he is one of the most highly regarded sports administrators in the country.

Hell, if he left us tomorrow, the only reason he would be out of work for more than 5 minutes is that he is trying to decide which of the sizable offers to take

• 2004: 28,667
  • 2005: 30,331
  • 2006: 31,208
  • 2007: 32,868
  • 2008: 33,426
  • 2009: 34,587
  • 2010: 35,032
  • 2011: 33,209
  • 2012: 33,337
  • 2013: 30,480
  • 2014: 34,235
  • 2015: 36,096
  • 2016: 34,476
  • 2017: 31,929
  • 2018: 31,394
  • 2019: 29,516
Fairly steady decline the past few years. 2015 was high because premiership run and extra finals games made for larger average crowd. Basically, it was on it's way up before he got there, and for the most part has trended down since he got there.

I got jack of going into town to the footy on a Friday. I think I missed 5 games this year just because I could not be bothered with another Friday night match.

Edit: Just saw that your post was an older one.. mah bad.

Last edited:
I got jack of going into town to the footy on a Friday. I think I missed 5 games this year just because I could not be bothered with another Friday night match.

Edit: Just saw that your post was an older one.. mah bad.
I stopped going in to games when they cancelled the u20s. Too far to go and too much effort and cost to watch one game of football that I can see on tv while drinking my own booze. If they start playing an ISC game (or reserve grade) as a curtain raiser then I will become a member again.

I stopped going in to games when they cancelled the u20s. Too far to go and too much effort and cost to watch one game of football that I can see on tv while drinking my own booze. If they start playing an ISC game (or reserve grade) as a curtain raiser then I will become a member again.

Its stupid isn't it? I'd prefer ISC over a return to U20s but you travel all that way to see JYY shoot some t-shirts into the crowd, a shit band, and what lately has been usually a shit game of football.

I don't believe we were ever any chance of getting Bellamy. Bellamy used us to drive up the price he could receive from Melbourne. I think Bellamy's eyes are firmly on the exit and that may in fact occur at the end of 2020. He will not want to wreck his legacy by coaching on without Smith & Co and failing. Don't be surprised if Smith announces his retirement before the start of the season that Bellamy follows not long after.

He's answerable to the CEO for his results. This is why the club under White sacked Griffin, it's why they sought to replace Bennett, and history suggests that if Seibold fails, White will probably sack him too.

To what extent the board would blame White for a failed Seibold appointment really depends on what role he played in selecting Seibold in the first place, as it was a panel of people, not just White, who appointed the new Coach. In fact you could probably assume that as the least football minded of the panel, White's role as CEO in the process was likely negotiating the actual nuts and bolts of the deal to get it over the line.
As the panel was constituted by Karl Morris, the chairman of the Board, Lockyer, one of the Directors and White, it would be fair to say that in terms of decision making power, that White was the weakest of those three.

Active Now

• Bish
  • Johnny92
  • Mustafur
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncosgirl
  • MrMoore
  • Mister Wright
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.