NEWS Brisbane fighting Warriors for David Fifita

The great thing about our young pack is that they all bring their own style to the game.

Lodge is the gritty leader.
Haas is an absolute meter making freak
Fifita is that X factor hole runner
TPJ is the offloading high tempo aggressor
Offa is the reliable work horse who just puts his head down and gets his job done.

It’s a very good balance. If we have to lose one then the priorities debate can be had but all of them bring something great to the team.

The Ofa part seems like having a bunch of superheroes and a guy who goes on a coffee run for them (puts his head down and gets the job done). Except the coffee guy is getting the same amount of money as the superheroes.

The Ofa part seems like having a bunch of superheroes and a guy who goes on a coffee run for them (puts his head down and gets the job done). Except the coffee guy is getting the same amount of money as the superheroes.

haha even the justice league have hawk eye.

I do agree he is probably a little generously paid if 500k is true.

Yeah Macca and Boyd are meant to be the exactly the get the job done types that youre talking about. But they aren’t doing their jobs. Glenn and Gillo are doing it but I feel Gillo is on too much coin for what he’s currently offering. I also think Isaako is a average do his job type winger.

I'm not so sure they are. They were good players, but who are on the way down and have probably declined quicker than we expected.

I'm more thinking about people lika Stagg/Reed/ Opacic type player, or from other clubs a Glasby or Alvaro. These types of player are a no fuss, low maintainence, reletively cheap option that gives us a bit more coin to throw at the superstar guys.

Last edited:
You said you were fine with prioritising TPJ after i said it should have been Haas and TPJ.

My big worry is we seem to be looking top quality in every position when thats just not practical. No good having an all star forward pack if you dont have the backs. We dont have enough of the workmanlike, just get the job done type of players in our squad. We seem to have gun kids, potentially gun kids or blokes like Boyd and Macca who are players on the way down costing us a fair bit. We dont have the solid, NRL performers who wont let you down but wont cost the earth either.

I actually think with direction, we do have these guys in the squad, its just right now they cannot do that. Without direction or leadership they are all trying to make it happen, yet settling it down and focusing on the task will give them more freedom to be solid work houses rather than power impact players.

Haas has shown this, Glenn has it, Carrigan and Fleg have it... TPJ and Lodge seem to get very hot headed - but its always in an effort to chase a big change or impact to turn the game.

If we were to get rid of Macca, Boyd, Gillette and Bird we'd have enough to keep Fifita and sign Foran and RTS. I pretty much imagine we'd go close to doing at least a threepeat.

I actually think with direction, we do have these guys in the squad, its just right now they cannot do that. Without direction or leadership they are all trying to make it happen, yet settling it down and focusing on the task will give them more freedom to be solid work houses rather than power impact players.

Haas has shown this, Glenn has it, Carrigan and Fleg have it... TPJ and Lodge seem to get very hot headed - but its always in an effort to chase a big change or impact to turn the game.

Its not the ability of the player i'm talking about though, its the cost. I agree every player you mentioned is capable of being solid at least, but they wont come cheaply. Flegler isnt on huge money i dont think, but the others are on decent coin. What i'm talking about is sort of a slightly watered down version of what Melbourne seem to do. They have the top liners, but then they back them up with just solid, cheaper players who get the job done. ( Blokes like Norrie, Hinchcliffe, Green, Koribete or currently, Kamikamica, Olam, Blair and Seve ). Some of them do well and get better contracts but they just seem to replace them with a similar player ( Koribete replaced by Addo-Carr for example ).

If we were to get rid of Macca, Boyd, Gillette and Bird we'd have enough to keep Fifita and sign Foran and RTS. I pretty much imagine we'd go close to doing at least a threepeat.

Foran? I know it’s been a rubbish season but Foran? More like Snore-ran!

Hope you are right buddy, but its probably a position we shouldnt have put ourselves into in the first place.

Geez it’s tough to get it all right, all the time though. I’d have to say that we are in a much better position now, than what we were 12-18 months ago.

Locked up all the young guns(and Fifita still with a year to go)
Not a bad position to be in, with Boyd and others nearing the end. I’d say the recruitment and retention team have things right where it’s needed to be at this stage.

Still have more young guys pushing through too, the production line is deep at the moment.

There is a lot more to what you hear in the media regarding our current salary cap position..... Lots going on.

Hope you are right buddy, but its probably a position we shouldnt have put ourselves into in the first place.
Maybe we didn't though, like I've said before haas and Fifita have been the one's talked about since they arrived on the scene.
And I'm sure they see these 2 along with paix and dearden, the ones to build a team around.

Offa is still providing the numbers, but maybe should be back on the bench for a bit. He's definitely worth keeping.
I think flegler might be the one to leave, from NQ and they will be looking for a scott replacement.

Definitely don't want to lose Flegler. He is going to be very good.

Unread

Active Now

• Battler
  • Harry Sack
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Redux
  • Allo
  • Porthoz
  • Galah
  • MrRobot
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.