OPINION Broncos ‘Set to’ Win Cobbo's Signature. Badel warning.

They will still be fairly sensible about things and who they sign. I'm still fairly sure they are going to make their really big moves for 2024. They will just fill their squad with players who can just do the job for 2023 mostly i reckon with some promising young players added like Katoa for example. I'm expecting a fair few one year deals.
Hope you’re right mate but it seems to me, at least, Wayne doesn’t have the pulling power of old. Starting a new club is a bit like opening a new pub down the road - most clientele are retrabates not wanted at the other places.

When Wayne started here, he was given basically a Queensland side plus a few NSW players. Still took him four years to win a final.

So Redcliffe at the minute - ouch!

Hope you’re right mate but it seems to me, at least, Wayne doesn’t have the pulling power of old. Starting a new club is a bit like opening a new pub down the road - most clientele are retrabates not wanted at the other places.

When Wayne started here, he was given basically a Queensland side plus a few NSW players. Still took him four years to win a final.

So Redcliffe at the minute - ouch!

I could be wrong, but It seems easier for teams these days to fit players they want to keep in their caps. I think the Broncos had it a fair bit easier with the players available back then than the Phins have now. I know i've said it before, but they got sold down the river a bit by the NRL. Most off contract players had been long in negotiations with their clubs before the Dolphins got accepted into the NRL. They probably should have delayed the entry until 2024 really to give them a decent run up to an NRL season. Its hard to get into negotiations when you dont even know if your team will be playing NRL footy.

I could be wrong, but It seems easier for teams these days to fit players they want to keep in their caps. I think the Broncos had it a fair bit easier with the players available back then than the Phins have now. I know i've said it before, but they got sold down the river a bit by the NRL. Most off contract players had been long in negotiations with their clubs before the Dolphins got accepted into the NRL. They probably should have delayed the entry until 2024 really to give them a decent run up to an NRL season. Its hard to get into negotiations when you dont even know if your team will be playing NRL footy.
Couldn’t agree more. Incidentally I'm rooting for them. Hope they do well. My son has much to do with them.

Looking more and more like they got a bum deal on that. Sure he can finish off 3 on 2's, but that's about it.

Well that is his job as a winger. He's not there to set up plays and run circles around every player on the field. He's there to finish off a backline movement and for most of the season he was one of the best in the comp at doing it.

Bum deal indeed.

Well that is his job as a winger. He's not there to set up plays and run circles around every player on the field. He's there to finish off a backline movement and for most of the season he was one of the best in the comp at doing it.

Bum deal indeed.
Good man.

Since when did wingers set up plays? My point was any decent winger can finish off 3 on 2 when you have Hughes, Munster and Paps feeding you ball. But he's dodgy defensively which I think everyone acknowledges, and he makes no metres out of his own end, which I would think is expected of top end wingers in todays game.

Like the metres and hard runs we've seen Oates always do, and Cobbo do lately. Brian To'o would be the prototype.

Someone on half his money would just about do the same job for the Storm. That's just my opinion of course, I can't really prove it.

I agree totally, i also think it was excellent timing that we started our winning streak when Haas was out of the side due to suspension (or injury, cant remember).
It was proof we can win without him, and that his managements requests for a million a season were insane.
Same with Fifita, sure he is a weapon of a player, but he wont win you games like a good spine player will.

Also, i cracked a huge fat at the Storm losing this weekend and all i could think was "suck shit Coates you traitorous merkin".
Ooh the schadenfreude is strong in this one.

Haha, i wont go so far as to wish injury on Coates, but i will derive a lot of pleasure from every game he loses with our mortal enemy.
I'm hoping we manage to roll them in a few weeks too. Gamble be like "so glad you extended with these plodders Xavier".

It's interesting how quickly perceptions change. A month and a half ago there were calls for Cobbo to be dropped to Cup, and now he's being touted as potentially 'the best player of his generation'.

I love Cobbo - he's obviously a shy kid but he's coming out of his shell in this team, gaining confidence, and he looks like he's having a lot of fun. He's strung together a series of exceptional games as well, but I think it's still really early to be certain he'll go on and develop into a consistent superstar in the spine. An exceptional winger may be his ceiling, and that's not a bad thing at all.

If we are resigning him at a reasonable amount - not 700K a year, not on the same level as Staggs, but a fair amount based on his experience and factoring potential - that's an amazing win for us, and what we should be doing with kids like him. Let's let him play wing and maybe centre for a couple of years and reassess if he truly is the answer at the back come 2024.

I have a lot more faith in this coaching and management team that they will do right by these kids in the majority of cases, and that gives me a lot of hope for the future.

It's interesting how quickly perceptions change. A month and a half ago there were calls for Cobbo to be dropped to Cup, and now he's being touted as potentially 'the best player of his generation'.

I love Cobbo - he's obviously a shy kid but he's coming out of his shell in this team, gaining confidence, and he looks like he's having a lot of fun. He's strung together a series of exceptional games as well, but I think it's still really early to be certain he'll go on and develop into a consistent superstar in the spine. An exceptional winger may be his ceiling, and that's not a bad thing at all.

If we are resigning him at a reasonable amount - not 700K a year, not on the same level as Staggs, but a fair amount based on his experience and factoring potential - that's an amazing win for us, and what we should be doing with kids like him. Let's let him play wing and maybe centre for a couple of years and reassess if he truly is the answer at the back come 2024.

I have a lot more faith in this coaching and management team that they will do right by these kids in the majority of cases, and that gives me a lot of hope for the future.
He was only being called to be dropped by a few ptsd broncos fans in here. The media, the broncos and pretty anyone with eyes painted on knee he was a gun teenager that had so much potential to be a superstar “new inglis” etc. just sayin.

It wasn't the perception of him that changed. It was literally the fact that both Cobbo and Staggs improved dramatically. Nobody wanted either of them dropped for long, but a week in Q Cup to get their confidence back would have worked too. Fortunately they both got it back in first grade which is great.

Will be very interesting if we get any sort of confirmaiton on this deal. Frankly, anything below $400K a year for Cobbo is excellent business.

Might be a bit expensive today, but given his current rate of development, he could be outperforming that contract by years end.

Also, if he does play SOO (which i think he shouldnt this year - he should simply learn to be a NRL player this year) then a $400K a year contract looks even better..

But lets see what transpires first...

Good post. Some of the chat in here about Cobbo being a once in a generation player are just so far over the top. Let's see him do it for 2 years before making calls like that.

Good post. Some of the chat in here about Cobbo being a once in a generation player are just so far over the top. Let's see him do it for 2 years before making calls like that.
A certain now titan was rookie of the year and look how he turned out.

I remember in 2015 how I anointed Milford as the future goat. How comical it would be to read those posts today.
You almost feel hoodwinked really. Like one of those scooby doo mysteries wherein the mask reveals someone else altogether.

And I would' ve gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling kids...

Unread

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Broncorob
  • I bleed Maroon
  • theshed
  • thenry
  • NSW stables
  • Battler
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.