Broncos 2012/13 Offseason Thread

Yeah, I agree that we definitely need to work on the wrestle, as much as I hate the slowing of the game down. And as good as the Storm are at it, I never want to see the Broncos get down to the dirty shit (chiken wing, grapple, etc...) we've seen coming from Bellamy's depraved mind.

Bellamy IIRC ...started with his "depraved" mind at Brisbane. I'm almost positive the Broncs were one of the first teams to employ a wrestling coach.

Dan Baker has a Masters Degree in Health Science and has completed his PhD in sports science at Edith Cowen University. His area of specialty is the periodisation of strength and power training methods. He has been the Brisbane Broncos Strength and Conditioning and wrestling coach for the past 16 years and has coached elite athletes in rugby union, power lifting, diving and athletics. Dan is a certified ASCA Level 3 Strength and Conditioning Coach and holds an ASCA Master Professional Coach recognition.

http://www.strengthandconditioning.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=71&Itemid=469

THE martial arts expert who first taught wrestling techniques to rugby league players has damned his peers for their approach in introducing dangerous throws and grapples and warned the NRL to act immediately because of the high chance of serious injury.

Chris Haseman, who still works with the Broncos and has taught a generation of players, said referees needed to be fully versed in wrestling techniques, and that the NRL judiciary panel should include someone with a wrestling background.

======================================================

Haseman, who was brought to the Broncos by Storm coach Craig Bellamy when he was Wayne Bennett's assistant, insists he has no regrets at his pioneering role at the Broncos, saying Bennett had always monitored everything he taught

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/articles/2008/09/23/1222193837411.html

Wtf??? I never said it should be illegal I just don't like it. At the end of the day this is footy, it's not a f***ing church service. I don't give a s*** about the moral high ground I want the broncos to win. To do that they need to get with the rest of the team and get with the wrestle. I still don't see how this makes me a hypocrite as I'm not backing anyone for doing it I'm just saying they need to do what the others are, even tho if it were possible I would prefer it not there.

Yes you are ........you now are not only condoning the wrestle, you're actively enthusiastic that the Broncos are focusing on it.

These were my thoughts exactly when I read this this morning. I hate the wrestle but it is clear that it is here to stay so it is fantastic to see that the boys are really starting to take it seriously. With our pack would should be able to really dominate the ruck area right up there with the storm

I dare say, you are one of many who believe the wrestle is the scourge of the NRL. When in Rome, do as the Romans .....has always had the imprint of one compromising ones own beliefs. You can't denounce something on one hand and then wish your own team were better at it with the other.

Anyway mate you can think whatever you want about me, now go back over to rleague and tell your mate Lewis how ya got me

My god you're emotional aren't you ........

No wonder you go from thread to thread getting into personal squabbles with everyone. It wasn't about "getting" you at all. I was simply pointing out that what you said, in my mind was a "tad" hypocritical .........I'm sorry if this hurt your feelings, but I actually think you are being a hypocrite and perhaps you don't realise it.

I thought my opinion may actually enlighten you ........I guess not.

p.s

I'll tell Lewis you said hi ...... I'm quite sure he'll enjoy knowing that even after only one or two spats, you still think of him. :001_tt2:

LOL RLeague beef.

I completely forgot about Civo's book. Did anybody get it? Would love to know if there's any exclusive info and if it'll be worth tracking down.

Yes you are ........you now are not only condoning the wrestle, you're actively enthusiastic that the Broncos are focusing on it.

I dare say, you are one of many who believe the wrestle is the scourge of the NRL. When in Rome, do as the Romans .....has always had the imprint of one compromising ones own beliefs. You can't denounce something on one hand and then wish your own team were better at it with the other.

My god you're emotional aren't you ........

No wonder you go from thread to thread getting into personal squabbles with everyone. It wasn't about "getting" you at all. I was simply pointing out that what you said, in my mind was a "tad" hypocritical .........I'm sorry if this hurt your feelings, but I actually think you are being a hypocrite and perhaps you don't realise it.

I thought my opinion may actually enlighten you ........I guess not.

p.s

I'll tell Lewis you said hi ...... I'm quite sure he'll enjoy knowing that even after only one or two spats, you still think of him. :001_tt2:

You think if you say something it makes it true! I havent been hypocritical I have been realistic. When did footy become this in morality where you 'compromise one's beliefs'.

Who exactly am I getting into squabbles with in every thread?

I'm not emotional I just dont like you

Last edited:
Over the last couple of years we've been **** at holding people down, more often that not it seems like we just let them get up and run at a broken line.

The problem is getting people down, the amount of times ive seen people standing in a tackle with 2 defenders on them fighting for extra yards and then getting a quick play the ball is ridiculous

CM article on Kahu with quotes from Hook.

Not a lot of news, but it seems like Hook is trying to down-play his significance to the side, in an effort to take the pressure off.

I highly doubt Hook will be doing a lot of work on our attack in the off season TBH. He is a lot like Bennett in that he will have a few set plays but rely on players making the most of field position and the bulk of possession. Our defence certainly will improve on last season I have no doubt. Hopefully our kicking game improves.

Well not exactly. I've never liked you so it's achieved nothing

Au contraire ..... if nothing else, it's been exposed that your still harbouring a grudge about someone on another site that you've had one or two spats with several months ago.

You're not emotional ........nahhhh.

2007-09-25-ChrisCrocker.jpg

Au contraire ..... if nothing else, it's been exposed that your still harbouring a grudge about someone on another site that you've had one or two spats with several months ago.

You're not emotional ........nahhhh.

2007-09-25-ChrisCrocker.jpg

Oh wow you have picked up on an Internet trend from six years ago. I have truly been bested you are way to cool for me.

You know your insults may actually affect me if you actually contributed to discussions on any of the forums you patrol... And before you say anything - insulting users and mocking others opinions is not contributing

Keep your rleague feud where it belongs... it has no added value here.

And Fourex, maybe you should make an effort to read what I write. The depraved Bellamy mind was about the dirty shit like chicken wings and grapples, not about the wrestling. I don't recall the Broncos ever being mentioned as the source or origin of that kind of stuff.

In fact, your second quote clearly states that our expert condemned the dangerous methods used by some of his peers... Besides, he also mentions that Bennett was always monitoring what was being done, so that ***** like Bellyache wouldn't teach our players to go out there and injure their opponents on purpose.

Interesting article on Norman up at the Broncos website.

Has been working on his defence but has also been concentrating on his speed work as well.

Could be just a positive spin, but the one thing I've picked up on with all these articles coming out at the moment is that this has been one of the better pre-seasons due to everyone being there from the start. Wonder if that will have a positive impact this year?

Still believe Norman's best position is fullback

woah rleague! they re-opened that after the 2003 closure?

Really good story on the broncos website about Joe bond. Seems like a good guy, hopefully he could be our Ben barber. As much as I would like to see him given a shot for his attacking ability I still think he has a way to go yet.

Also in the interview he said he thinks Kahu will have a big year. That is the 5th bronco I have heard say that this pre season

Broncos vs. Warriors R6 2001 game is on at 7pm tonight on FoxSports 1.

Active Now

• theshed
  • HVbronco
  • Morkel
  • BroncosAlways
  • Dash
  • Foordy
  • Spooky1013
  • Bucking Beads
  • Sproj
  • Old Mate
  • Wolfie
  • Behind enemy lines
  • bb_gun
  • pennywisealfie
  • Footy Fanatic
  • rj9
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.