Broncos 2012/13 Offseason Thread

Griffin also didn't use his bench properly either

Yeah, it needs a lot of work. I'd say our defence right in the middle third of the field was a massive let down last year. Seemed like the opposition made linebreaks right through the middle almost at will at times. That would be the only reason against moving Thaiday into the front row I guess, he is arguably the laziest player in the side in defence.

As for the wings, I loved Kemp back in 08 just everyone else here, but Maranta deserves to be there a lot more.

Yeah, defence has never been Thaiday's strong point although it's improved a fair bit and I thought he stepped up on a few occasions despite his bung shoulder. As long as he doesn't replicate his Origin 3 performance, we'll be right.

I'm a bit more concerned with Hodges, Norman, McGuire, Glenn & Gillett in defence. Not to say they're bad because they have their moments but there were some very soft moments from all of them last year, particularly Hodgo in R13 & R19.

I'll be interested to see how Maranta develops. Unfortunately I don't know if his time in QCup is doing him a lot of good, he's forced to play centres or five eigth and that really doesn't allow him to work on the intricacies as a winger or develop his game at fullback where IMO he's at his best. I just hope he builds on his 2012, he wasn't expected to feature that much in first grade but injuries and departures forced Hook's hand.

I'm dying, can't wait for SuperCoach to open on Friday!!!

Haven't really read too much of this thread but a couple points:
1. I'll be surprised if Yow Yeh plays this year.
2. If he is able to play at >80% of his previous ability I will be surprised. He's gonna struggle mentally and he went through a shitload of operations that weren't just about him getting back to playing but him having quality of life.

Oh and the re-signing of Kemp is an absolute joke.

Haven't really read too much of this thread but a couple points:
1. I'll be surprised if Yow Yeh plays this year.
2. If he is able to play at >80% of his previous ability I will be surprised. He's gonna struggle mentally and he went through a ****load of operations that weren't just about him getting back to playing but him having quality of life.

Oh and the re-signing of Kemp is an absolute joke.

Yeah depth signings that cost essentially nothing are an absolute joke. What idiots

I'd love to see Kemp and Yow Yeh at their best on the wings for us, but I doubt it will happen.

There were a lot of feel good articles about Yow Yeh before the offseason. Not so much lately though. Maybe he is struggling?

Thought there had been a couple in the past few weeks?

RLW's entire feature on the Broncos pre-season was based around his progress.

I think Kemp has struggled with not being in a good place mentally or physically since his dream run in 2008. He struggled to adjust to life in Auckland, and then suffered some injuries. Then he came back happy as larry to us in 2010 only to suffer a really serious rib injury. And his attitude really went downhill as a result of that - he didn't treat his recovery seriously. Ever since he's been a bit petulant.

I get the impression 2 years in the wilderness (let's face it, Rugby 7s and Dragons lower grades isn't exactly the high life) has probably given him a massive kick up the bum. I reckon there'll be rave reviews of all his effort and attitude in preseason.

We won't see him talked about in contention for the Broncos' 17 for a while, but I think if he can really show what he's made of in Q Cup then if our wing spot is looking a bit shaky he'll come into consideration.

Am I expecting him to take fullback? No. Am I expecting a repeat of his 2008 heroics? No. But this year is make or break for him. He knows that. And I think it might finally bring the best out of his attitude.

Last edited:
Yeah depth signings that cost essentially nothing are an absolute joke. What idiots

Exactly, I recall some moaning about the lack of depth we had on the wings for this season, at worst he gives us another option on the wing and pressure on other backs to perform which can only be a good thing, the only way I can see it truely being a joke was if we chased hard for him and were willing to pay for it, which we didn't. I don't expect him to be the Kemp of 2008 but geez its hard to knock signing him when we need more options there, we can't just count on Yow Yeh to come good.

If he was any good he would've stayed in the NRL. There are QCup players better than him.

Who Berryman, Georgetown and Bond? guys that are completely untested in the NRL? Besides that our options are thin in the backs and how is having another person that comes basically free to put pressure on the incumbents a bad thing? It makes no sense.

"Hey man do you want a free xbox?"

"oh nah bro I got a ps3"

"... but its free"

"your an absolute joke"

Who Berryman, Georgetown and Bond? guys that are completely untested in the NRL? Besides that our options are thin in the backs and how is having another person that comes basically free to put pressure on the incumbents a bad thing? It makes no sense.

"Hey man do you want a free xbox?"

"oh nah bro I got a ps3"

"... but its free"

"your an absolute joke"
Georgetown got a run for penrith years ago so hes not completely untested.

Kemp showed his potential in 2008. He's still young enough to maintain the same speed and ability, so it's all in the head.
As Coxy said, if his work ethic is good enough and he gets a chance, it will all come down to his mental strength and whether he can regain his confidence.

Qcup will do him good, and as many have said, it's not like our depth in the backs is rich and abundant!

My only concern is whether or not Hook's style will take advantage of Kemp's speed.

Hook loves to use his wingers out from dummy half to gain some early momentum in sets. For me, that's clearly Kemp's weakest area.

EDIT: In fact, I really hope Hook eases up on dummy half running in general. Hodgo is one of the best in the world at it, but I don't see how it benefits the team when he leaves us short out-wide on the money play.

Last edited:
My only concern is whether or not Hook's style will take advantage of Kemp's speed.

Hook loves to use his wingers out from dummy half to gain some early momentum in sets. For me, that's clearly Kemp's weakest area.

EDIT: In fact, I really hope Hook eases up on dummy half running in general. Hodgo is one of the best in the world at it, but I don't see how it benefits the team when he leaves us short out-wide on the money play.

Kemp is one of my favourite Broncos and whose career got fucked by I$rael Folau and Bruno Cullen. I think he had genuine ability beyond the Craig Frawley, Leon Bott, Scott Minto, Stuart Kelly, Steve Michaels class of being on the end of a Darren Lockyer backline.

Sadly, I think the Broncos and rugby league generally have moved on from the pure speedster/finisher type winger. The Broncos under Griffin are a team of second rowers. We grind out in the forwards, aim for field position and play the percentages.

We haven't had an attacking kicking game (other than bombs) since Karmichael Hunt left. Kempy without Lockyer or Hunt will struggle.

RE: Dummy half running. I hardly think Kemp is a liability there going off his 2008 form and dummy half running for wingers early in the set is bread and butter rugby league, not a Hook special.

Kemp could cut it as a fullback but we've got options there in spades.

Hook relies on it more than most, which is why he prefers power over speed.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • The Don
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Socnorb
  • Battler
  • Bucking Beads
  • Mr Fourex
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Fozz
  • leon.bott
  • Big Del
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • RolledOates
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Culhwch
  • thenry
  • Allo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Stix
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.