Broncos 2012/13 Offseason Thread

Yep, going into this season with no expectations.

Every year my brother and I just want Wallace to have a consistent season, we could care less after 5 years now.

We've gotta make finals otherwise Hook will be in trouble.

New Hook interview on the website.

Pretty typical interview, although I was happy to hear him stress that we were working on our attack. Seems like most interviews have stressed the wrestle and defence but it was clearly our attacking patterns inside the oppositions 20 that let us down.

Wallace was interviewed during the Heat/Sixers game. He spoke about the training mishap and how McGuire gave him the cut below the eye, spoke about Prince and pre-season, stressing the defensive and wrestle aspects of it.

So with a bit of time to think about the signing of Kearney as an assistant coach, what are your thoughts on that decision going into the season? Does his record at the Eels concern you? Do you consider him perhaps a better assistant coach?

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have my concerns given his time at the Eels as their head coach, but then again I can't say for sure he was ready for such a role or that his necessarily capable of handling such a position, perhaps his better suited as an assistant coach focusing on a certain role instead of trying to co-ordinate all of them. Overall I think I'm willing to see how it goes and I certainly hope he can add something to our coaching ranks.

Last edited:
I'm very optimistic about signing Kearney, I think it's a great deal for us.

It's not as if we brought in Kearney to replace Hook, he's been given Langer's spot and as much as Alf means to this club, his 09-12 time-frame as assistant didn't lead to many positive correlations.

With Kearney apart of the coaching squad, I believe he'll tighten our ability to control the ruck defensively. One of the key points that's been highlighted has been the focus on the wrestle and I believe the Broncos will be looking to become smarter in the ruck, twisting and turning players on their back to force slow play-the balls and give our defence the ascendency.

It might sound strage, but our defence definitely needed a lot of work. I felt like one of the biggest problems was that when clubs smelt blood in the water, they could always find ways to exploit us. Performances in R2, R9, R12, R17, R21, R22, R25 & FW1 demonstrate this. I feel as if the boys become more adept to defending, they won't have to overcompensate by being so conservative with the football and actually do more with the football other than trying to force their opponent into a corner with their last tackle play.

There is a guy in the NFL called Norv Turner. He has been the coach of numerous sides and at every team he goes to, he makes them worse off than what they were before he got there. So why does he always end up getting jobs as head coach in the nfl? because after he gets fired for being a shit coach, he gets a job as an assistant at another team and is amazing at it.

Some people are just born to be assistants, Kearney was a great assistant at Melbourne. I think he will be good here.

Interesting article in the CM about competition for spots.

To sum it up - Thaiday may have to reprise his role upfront, Hala isn't fully fit just yet & Kahu is well and truly in the mix at fullback.

Food for thought I suppose in the case of Sam. He's yet to show any real consistency through the middle, at least not of the level of Moose & Hannant but the move could provide the right balance for the squad, giving Gillett the chance to play on the fringe full-time where he is by far most effective.

I've always hated Thaiday playing prop, I mean he's barely effective in the second row as is.

I'm calling this year out bits and pieces team - if they click it could catch other teams off guard, if not it could be another tough year.

Last edited:
Thaiday at prop could be very good if we play a similar game plan to the Bulldogs.

Thaiday would go ok at prop IMO..... as long as he's fully fit.

I think he was busted when we played him there last season.

Hala had his first full session of training today and is aiming to play the first trial against the Cowboys.

Round 12 2012

Which was....May 25th 2012.

I don't think we really needed him;

Kahu
Copley
Berryman
Maranta

even Oates, Bond and Capewell could handle the wing at a stretch. Doesn't hurt though i guess.

Gotta say I'm really happy to see him back. I have always really liked him and hope he can find top form again. If he can get anywhere near his earlier form we it would be a big plus

Active Now

• TonyTheJugoslav
  • Stix
  • Brocko
  • FACTHUNT
  • levikaden
  • Tmac
  • Foordy
  • Accept
  • cento
  • Allo
  • bert_lifts
  • Santa
  • Battler
  • Hurrijo
  • Sproj
  • lynx000
  • Swordfish
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.