Broncos 2012/13 Offseason Thread

Kemp has played 14 NRL games since he originally left in 2008, and none in the last two years.

I wonder if he still has any kind of pace left, loved that try against the Cowboys in round 1, 2010 where he just bolted 50m down the sideline to win the game.

Kemp will take Hoffmans fullback spot eventually.

I actually agree. You don't lose skills, they may take a while to come back but he was a damn good FB and he could be again

He hasn't really had a real chance since leaving us. A full off season with a few games in a row and I have no doubt he can return to his best. Griffin wouldn't sign him for no reason.

Yes I'm bias because I'm a big fan of Kemp and no I don't care if I'm being unrealistic.

He hasn't really had a real chance since leaving us. A full off season with a few games in a row and I have no doubt he can return to his best. Griffin wouldn't sign him for no reason.

Yes I'm bias because I'm a big fan of Kemp and no I don't care if I'm being unrealistic.

Mate I'm with ya. I have always loved kemp and its a smart. He would be on pretty much nothing so if he can't find form again, well no loss. If he does then we have a quality fullback or winger that is only 24 who if he has half a brain will owe the club his career and won't be leaving again

I don't think we really needed him;

Kahu
Copley
Berryman
Maranta

even Oates, Bond and Capewell could handle the wing at a stretch. Doesn't hurt though i guess.

I don't think Kemp is exactly the answer, but we definitely needed some insurance in the backs.

Aside from Copley & Maranta, I don't really rate any of those other guys as wingers and I believe we'd have struggled if we had to rely on them for any period of time. We could still do so with Kemp but competition is only going to help the squad of backs by and large.

We really haven't had a lot of luck when it comes to backs. Serious injuries to Yow Yeh, Kahu & Leedy, departures of Beale & Gagai all happening in the space of a year and the less said about the fate of Berwick the better.

Kemp will take Hoffmans fullback spot eventually.

no chance, Bond has a better shot of getting a run at fb before kemp imo. At best he is a first grade capable winger who would be well behind in the pecking order having missed the entire off-season and nearly half of the pre-season. He was not the same player on his second stint at the club let alone his third. He is tough and gutsy though, ill give him that.

Norman or Kahu will push Hoffman onto a wing at some stage.

Last edited:
I don't think Kemp is exactly the answer, but we definitely needed some insurance in the backs.

Aside from Copley & Maranta, I don't really rate any of those other guys as wingers and I believe we'd have struggled if we had to rely on them for any period of time. We could still do so with Kemp but competition is only going to help the squad of backs by and large.

We really haven't had a lot of luck when it comes to backs. Serious injuries to Yow Yeh, Kahu & Leedy, departures of Beale & Gagai all happening in the space of a year and the less said about the fate of Berwick the better.
imo Kahu could handle the wing comfortably, confidence will probably be his only question mark, he has massive wraps on him and Beale has shown it is possible to overcome a series of serious injuries.

Berryman is still a little raw but he is very capable, reminds me a bit of Winterstein and if he gets a chance he could surprise.

I don't think Kemp will see too much first grade, if at all.

imo Kahu could handle the wing comfortably, confidence will probably be his only question mark, he has massive wraps on him and Beale has shown it is possible to overcome a series of serious injuries.

Berryman is still a little raw but he is very capable, reminds me a bit of Winterstein and if he gets a chance he could surprise.

I don't think Kemp will see too much first grade, if at all.

We don't even know if Kahu can handle first grade yet.

Kahu reminds me a fair bit of Beale and that's not really a positive when it comes to wing play. Beale was wasted out wide and was at times a total liability. Kahu doesn't really give me a lot of confidence out-wide and if he was to make it, I believe his best position would be fullback.

Honestly, I hope Kemp doesn't because it'll mean Copley & Maranta are doing their jobs.

Kahu would be wasted out on the wings, I think he should be playing either full back or 5/8th.

thats not like BHQ to have unrealistic expectations of Denan Kemp!

Kahu has played plenty of wing/centre since coming to the Broncos, granted, two knee reco's ago. We need spark and not having him in the 17 is a bigger waste than playing him on the wing imo. He could even be a candidate for a utility role similar to what Beale had in his first season.

It may be moot anyway depending on what hook does at FB and the fitness of Yow Yeh.

Kahu has played plenty of wing/centre since coming to the Broncos, granted, two knee reco's ago. We need spark and not having him in the 17 is a bigger waste than playing him on the wing imo. He could even be a candidate for a utility role similar to what Beale had in his first season.

It may be moot anyway depending on what hook does at FB and the fitness of Yow Yeh.

Kahu has really proven nothing yet. He may not be up to it or he may be a star. Saying it would be a waste not being in the 17 is a big cal considering he hasn't played a game yet.

Kahu has really proven nothing yet. He may not be up to it or he may be a star. Saying it would be a waste not being in the 17 is a big cal considering he hasn't played a game yet.

You're right, its just my opinion of what we have available, i rate Kahu a class above our other options once he gets some confidence back.

Last edited:
It might sound strage, but our defence definitely needed a lot of work. I felt like one of the biggest problems was that when clubs smelt blood in the water, they could always find ways to exploit us. Performances in R2, R9, R12, R17, R21, R22, R25 & FW1 demonstrate this.

Yeah, it needs a lot of work. I'd say our defence right in the middle third of the field was a massive let down last year. Seemed like the opposition made linebreaks right through the middle almost at will at times. That would be the only reason against moving Thaiday into the front row I guess, he is arguably the laziest player in the side in defence.

As for the wings, I loved Kemp back in 08 just everyone else here, but Maranta deserves to be there a lot more.

Well Griffin thinks an out of form Hoffman is better than Maranta who was giving 110% each week

Active Now

• Galah
  • RodF
  • Jazza
  • mitch222
  • Morkel
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fozz
  • Fitzy
  • Aldo
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosarethebest
  • bazza
  • Dash
  • davidp
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Matheos
  • Ozired
  • MrTickyMcG
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.