Broncos 2012/13 Offseason Thread

Cheers, just had to refresh to get it to work. Sneaky stuff linking the client url haha.

Good eye, Hook mentioned him specifically either today or yesty so I'm sure he was just absent.

He's still rehabing one of his injuries, in fact, apparently, around 12 players started pre-season rehabbing injuries. Really goes to show how stuffed our players were.

Broncos Team Up With Ipswich Leagues In Affiliate Deal

http://www.broncos.com.au/news-display/Broncos-Team-Up-With-Ipswich-Leagues-In-Affiliate-Deal/66642

A direct pathway to the NRL has been forged for the youngsters of Ipswich after an agreement with the local junior and senior leagues was formalised today.

In a landmark partnership, State League identity the Ipswich Jets, the Ipswich Rugby League and the Ipswich Junior Rugby League have all agreed to the three-year affiliation with the Broncos.

The deal will be of benefit to the thousands of people involved in rugby league in the Ipswich area.

“The new affiliation with the Broncos is all about stability in the pathway for Ipswich rugby league players,” said Ipswich Jets’ chief executive Brad Wolens today.

“Young players can be developed and will be provided with the opportunity to reach their potential while living at home in a family environment with parent and family support and discipline.

“The opportunity now exists for Ipswich juniors to reach their dreams as a part of this newly-formed pathway.”

The agreement also allows players who sign with the Broncos to have dual registration and play Queensland Cup with the Ipswich Jets.

“That also means Jets’ players will be provided with greater opportunities to make it to the next level of the game,” said Wolens.

Broncos’ chief executive Paul White said the club was pleased to make the entire Ipswich rugby league fraternity part of the Broncos’ pathway.

“We were approached to be part of this and we were very happy to be,” said White.

“Ipswich is a rugby league heartland, they have a very engaged rugby league community, and the Broncos have a very strong season membership base in the area.

“That the three tiers of rugby league in the area are involved is a wonderful thing for the game in Ipswich and for the Broncos’ club.”

The Broncos have a long-standing history with Ipswich, with products such as internationals and club legends Allan Langer and Kerrod and Kevin Walters hailing from the area.

Langer and Kerrod Walters both attended a function at Ipswich Jets Leagues Club today to mark the beginning of the arrangement.

That's a great coup. Roosters have been pilfering some top prospects since O'Sullivan has been on board.

So that takes us to "affiliates" with Ipswich, Redcliffe, Wynnum, Norths and Central Qld.

We are pretty fortunate. Imagine being say the West Tigers and having one club, Balmain Ryde to call on for your juniors and reserve talent.

I wonder what the real numbers are (i.e. population of Sydney 4.6M, Brisbane 2.6M) comparing each club to the Rugby League following population/juniors in its catchment area?

Anyway you cut it I reckon Brisbane still have an advantage. Some of the Sydney clubs (like Penrith say) would be similar size and catchment areas to larger Qld Cup sides like Redcliff or Ipswich.

reckon a phone call or three might have come through to the courier mail this morning from the broncos - small blurb on page 13 about Antonio Winterstein getting done for unlicensed driving a few weeks ago ... but the picture they used beside the story was him in broncos training gear.

Doesn't seem like much but you better believe the broncos will be livid over it, and rightfully so imo.

Maybe the journo was in Iran and didn't have google access to a more recent picture in a Cowboys jersey.

So that takes us to "affiliates" with Ipswich, Redcliffe, Wynnum, Norths and Central Qld.

We are pretty fortunate. Imagine being say the West Tigers and having one club, Balmain Ryde to call on for your juniors and reserve talent.

I wonder what the real numbers are (i.e. population of Sydney 4.6M, Brisbane 2.6M) comparing each club to the Rugby League following population/juniors in its catchment area?

Anyway you cut it I reckon Brisbane still have an advantage. Some of the Sydney clubs (like Penrith say) would be similar size and catchment areas to larger Qld Cup sides like Redcliff or Ipswich.

If you believe that NSW clubs have only catchment areas like that then you do not understand the competition for juniors in Queensland areas in the past, present and into the future. So much so it eventually forced the QRL to enter a Brisbane based side just to retain players in Queensland a move for years they refused to do because they felt it would weaken their competition but what they didn't realise for so long was that regardless of an entry of one or more Queensland based sides it was going to happen anyway, the Canberra Raiders side for example of the 80's had a huge amount of BRL juniors in their side, an immense amount of players were heading south and those that went to the Broncos were looking to head south anyway. Clubs outside of Queensland have been raiding above the border for years and their attachments to feederclubs extend far more then just their surrounding areas, to believe they rely strictly on one sole area in Penrith or such is false. The Broncos may be the only brisbane based NRL club, but they still face a lot of competition for juniors here.

The problem for sydney is that there have been too many clubs there since the NSWRL decide to expand outside of sydney and failure to have any longterm plan to address such problems, something even during the superleague wars they refused to address that could have seen things end far better then they did. That quite frankly isn't the Broncos or any other expansion sides fault, the fault lies on those who refused to do anything about it for years despite the need for tough decisions to be made for the best interests of the competition.

Last edited:
I'd like to get confirmation on whether we're still affiliated with Central. I know a couple of our juniors tend to represent their CC & MM side but as far as I know we don't accept any of their players for pre-season or even give them offer them talent for Qld Cup.

From what I understand, the Central Coast is basically open to anybody.

Sorry I accidentally disliked your post GCbronco. Using an Ipad

had a dream last night about round 1 2013.. was a little warped though (for some reason my house was on the dead ball line). dont think we were playing manly.. but we were up 18 nil in the first half. thaiday scored 1 on the right edge after running over the top of someone.. then he set up scott prince who bolted 40 metres through the middle to score under the posts.. (everyone got a little worried he was going to break a leg in trying to score the try.. he was fine). we also had some unknown winger chip and regather to score on the right wing.

lol

Does he have the same wraps Gagai did?

Maranta would have to be the front runner for the wing spot depending on how far away Yow Yeh & Kahu are.

Surely Maranta and Copley will get the nod first

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Santa
  • Bucking Beads
  • Battler
  • Broncosgirl
  • winslow_wong
  • Sproj
  • Dazza 92
  • FACTHUNT
  • lynx000
  • Big Del
  • Astro
  • HarryAllan7
  • Fitzy
  • Fozz
  • Footy Fanatic
  • ivanhungryjak
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.