Broncos 2013 Trials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Being 23rd man is still better than being 25th or whatever man Michaels is for the Titans.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
whatever they do this year positionally all i hope is we get some mojo about our attack. drove me insane in 2012 how flat everyone stood and there was just nothing doing 95% of the time.

ok above all i just want us to win games, but yeah i'm really hoping to see some good exciting footy..

Last edited:
Son Edo

Son Edo

NRL Player
Sep 14, 2011
We know, NT, we know. It's frustrating not scoring points.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Agreed nt, that horse has been flogged so much that I don't bring it up anymore because we all know it's something that needs to change this year.

I hope we adopt the style of attack where the ball runner practically throws the pass directly behind him to another man on the run. Canberra's depth in attack has always been like that and I think its a structure we could learn from.

We have all these bulked up players being wasted given the ball flat footed, get them on the run and let's see their true potential.

Last edited:
noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
yeah, i shouldnt have brought it up. lets not talk about it for now ha

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
It's frustrating because it's clearly something so basic yet it'd suit our style of play a lot more than that flat pedestrian style we were using last season.

In fact, it clearly did when we played Canberra (R7), Canterbury (R23) & Storm (R24). Speaking of flogging dead horses, you know who was the common denominator in those performances? Ben Hunt.

Regardless, let's hope Hook's learned his lesson and the boys have some shape about them.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
I would even take Kingston and Degois over that dropkick Friend.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The North Queensland Cowboys twitter gave Joe Bond a rap for Saturday's performance for anyone interested.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Can someone tell me what this bloke is on about?

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...different-matter/story-e6frep5x-1226578305847

So that's settled then - in the selection room of public opinion anyway - but what to do with Prince isn't so simple.

There is no question Prince can still be one of the best organising halfbacks in the game.

There are plenty of clubs that would love to throw him the No.7 jersey and tell the other 12 players, "follow him".

It's just that the Broncos isn't one of them. They already have an excellent half, Peter Wallace, who underplayed his hand when Darren Lockyer was around and stepped up last season when he wasn't.

A colleague this week suggested Prince should play halfback for the Broncos and Wallace move to five-eighth. "They could run the plays one side of the ground each," he said.

Sorry, that doesn't work for me and it hasn't worked for other halfbacks either.

Bob Fulton tried it in England with Allan Langer at half and Ricky Stuart at five-eighth in the first Test in 1990. Aussie league fans were ecstatic. The two best generals in the game, it couldn't miss. It did.

Great Britain won 19-12.

More recently the Blues selectors used Andrew Johns at hooker, with either Geoff Toovey or Brett Kimmorley at seven. Results were mixed at best.

The thing is that halfbacks want to run the show. They need to run the show. Give them half the field to play on and they won't be able to help themselves.

It would be like putting Mick Jagger on one side of a stage and Elvis Presley on the other and saying: "OK fellas, give us everything you've got, but don't cross over into each other's space. Now, Hound Dog on three ..."

That's not even mentioning the two other parts of the equation, young Corey Norman and Ben Hunt, who were touted last season as the future of the club.

We all thought Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin was having a laugh at our expense last year when he said the newly signed Prince wasn't guaranteed a spot in the Broncos' first grade squad. If so, Wallace, Norman and Hunt would not have shared the joke.

There's only one certainty about what's happening at the Broncs right now, and that's that four into two doesn't go.

It's no laughing matter. Let's hope it doesn't end in tears.

Because Thurston and Cronk has been such a disaster for QLD amirite?

As if Norman or Hunt are going to get a run in the halves - come round 1, it'll be Wallace and Prince.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
wouldnt have a problem with norman playing in the #6 now we have prince to 'run' things and take the pressure off norman. its hard to see that happening as wallace is such a solid 80 min player. i do think normans gotta be in the mix somewhere.

good news for those without fox, channel 9 are showing the broncs v warriors trial (albeit delayed i believe).

Last edited:
Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Holy crap, have they ever showed a trial before?
When is it on CH9? I definitely want to watch.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
not sure of the time but they've said on twitter ch 9 will be a delayed telecast. fox is live of course.

Chris Garry ‏@chrisgarry1
Channel 9 will televise the Brisbane Broncos third trial against Warriors in NZ next Saturday night. First time 9 televises a Broncos trial.

Todd Balym ‏@toddbalym
@chrisgarry1 I think Fox are doing Broncs v Warriors trial live & Ch 9 on delay. I may be wrong. @tradmclean

Chris Garry ‏@chrisgarry1
@toddbalym @tradmclean that's correct.

Last edited:
Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Awesome cheers man. I'll check the TV guides when it's coming up.

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
Who wrote that shit? Norman was an epic fail last year

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
wouldnt have a problem with norman playing in the #6 now we have prince to 'run' things and take the pressure off norman. its hard to see that happening as wallace is such a solid 80 min player. i do think normans gotta be in the mix somewhere.

good news for those without fox, channel 9 are showing the broncs v warriors trial (albeit delayed i believe).

Not a bad suggestion but I don't know if it'd be a good idea to have two defensive liabilities in the front line. That for me, was our biggest failing in 05 with Locky/Seymour. Eventually those weak defensive efforts took their toll on the side (plus injuries and the dejection of Origin etc.)

Yep, loved that trial coverage news when it was revealed a few months back and love it even more now that there will be a replay on 9. No excuse not to watch that game now folks! Except for Soundwave...f**k!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • mitch222
  • BroncosAlways
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Xzei
  • Allo
  • Dash
  • Culhwch
  • Aldo
  • Harry Sack
  • leon.bott
  • Fozz
  • Brotherdu
  • barker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.