Broncos - 2015 Discussion

Have we got a kicker yet?? Or are we gonna milk a couple of penalties in front of the posts every game to make up for the missed conversions?

None of our new recruits are kickers, so you'd expect Parker/Hunt to do the goal kicking.

It may come as a big shock but I am actually warming to the team for 2015. I still think Blair is a really bad signing, but if it was the only way Bennett was returning Parker at lock then itll have to do (we could've kept Kennedy and / or Hannant to get the same result, but I think Hannant is garbage so was glad for him to go anyway). Blair coming 2nd in RLW's worst NRL buys of all time really just solidifies my opinion of him, but oh well.

Boyd will do a decent job if he can recapture his Saints form, but if we get Knights boyd then we have made a big mistake. Time will tell but my initial anger at his signing has passed.

I am still a firm believer, and probably always will be, regardless of how he performs next year, but I still think the broncos best 17 has Milford at fullback. On his day he is the most elusive player in the game and players like that just need some space. He wont get that at 6. Ideally, I think we shouldve never signed boyd, cut barba, and gone after a half. Milford being in the fullback spot makes this bronco team 100% more dangerous imo. Its something we wont ever get to see now (not while boyd is at the club) but hopefully milford stays with us long term and we might get to see him in the 1 again one day.

To me, the weakest links in our team (apart from blair) are thaiday and reed. Reed is massively overrated and overpaid and I believe copley is already a better centre than him. Would be very glad to see Reed dropped but he seems a bennett mould kind of guy so cant see him being shifted. Thaiday has been useless for years now (apart from the occassional good stint in the maroons).

Ideally, i wouldnt have boyd or blair at the broncos, or bennett either but id settle for the team we have now without Bennett. I still think his game plans and tactics are outdated and boring. Id like to see what boyd could do under another coach, because at the moment his only redeeming quality is his sweeping backline play that everyone knows how to read.

With or without bennett, this team will succeed next year. I cant see the broncos doing worse than this year purely because Hunt has another year under his belt and we are getting milford. Regardless of all other things, this can only improve things.

Last edited:
Milford has kicked before, but I am not sure how well.

If I remember correctly, he hasn't missed a kick.

However, they were easy kicks and there have been very few of them. He hasn't shown enough to suggest he can be our long term kicker. But practise makes perfect so he should spend as much time as possible practising his kicking. The same goes for all of our other options.

I think Parker may be the best choice at the present time. Although, his kicking percentage was lower at lock. If history repeats itself, we will be experiencing a bit more heartache in that department.

Last edited:
Pretty harsh to have Cornish below Mortimer. I think chances are Cornish will be a huge dud, especially under Ricky, but Mortimer is the worst of the bunch.

Meet Matt Parcell - Broncos

IT is Matt Parcell's first experience of the Brisbane Broncos and Wayne Bennett but he is pretty sure he has heard echoes of this type before.
His rise in the Queensland Cup at Ipswich has been mentored along by co-coaches Ben and Shane Walker, both former charges of Bennett's.
Just a few weeks into his first shot at training with an NRL squad, the young hooker already sees some similarities.
Even if the intensity of pre-season training is a step up.
"I am loving every second of it," said Parcell.
"It is definitely a step up volume wise but I am enjoying it.
"I have been with Ben and Shane (Walker) for a few years and they were coached by him.
"I think they do have a little similar style.
"It's a great experience."
There is also a change with players of the calibre of international star Justin Hodges barking orders at you.
"It's unreal, but you sort of have to take your opportunity and learn off those guys," said Parcell.
"It is great training around them."
Training in the full-time pre-season squad, Parcell is likely to get a trial match or two to show his ability to 'jump and run' out of dummy half.
With Jake Granville moving to the Cowboys, he will fight the likes of Travis Waddell and the Nikorima brothers, Jayden and Kodi, for a chance at the Broncos’ utility bench spot.
Parcell will put all his efforts into proving he can be an NRL player, but in a refreshing twist the former Queensland Universities player does have a degree behind him.
"I am about to graduate in civil engineering," he said.
"I did the degree at UQ (University of Queensland) and I am about to finish there.
"Then I got this opportunity.
"At the moment I will have a full crack at footy, but I definitely have something to fall back on."

Hoping he isn't another Strasser (who was supposed to be the next DCE according to some), and actually is good enough to get game time.

Hoping he isn't another Strasser (who was supposed to be the next DCE according to some), and actually is good enough to get game time.

To be fair, Strasser wasn't given much opportunity to prove what he's got

If I remember correctly, he hasn't missed a kick.

However, they were easy kicks and there have been very few of them. He hasn't shown enough to suggest he can be our long term kicker. But practise makes perfect so he should spend as much time as possible practising his kicking. The same goes for all of our other options.

I think Parker may be the best choice at the present time. Although, his kicking percentage was lower at lock. If history repeats itself, we will be experiencing a bit more heartache in that department.
Hoping this team has the ability to score under the posts

I really don't think anyone said that, he's an above average ISC Five-Eighth.. but to think he was even in the same ballpark as someone like DCE is ludicrous.

I really don't think anyone said that, he's an above average ISC Five-Eighth.. but to think he was even in the same ballpark as someone like DCE is ludicrous.

There were definitely some comparissons with DCE at the time.

off memory they were talking about style not quality. still better than hoffman.

6eaae2198dd4a6f8d84a8c9144f39d2159ac4ede594c9fa854aec301e62c332e.jpg

I think that was in the context of style not ability, he does run like him and have a similar build. Plus a lot of Broncos' fans just guess because they don't watch ISC. Strasser was in a very average side this year with little support in the halves, his second pre-season this year and a stronger Redcliffe team will see him produce better football.

ISC players are rewarded for form with a chance, it doesn't mean all are going to play 200 NRL games. Worst case sencario your feeder club gets back a better player.

Having said that Parcell is a big chance, he would be outstanding at 9's to start with. He's a footballer who wants to understand the game and asks 10000 questions already.

Hello again 1910. Good to hear your thoughts as always. I am interested in the progress of Griffin, Parcell and Garbutt

I'm interested in how the whole squad are going naturally but any reports or thoughts you have would be great. I will keep monitoring this thread for information. thanks

I don't feel comfortable with any more Griffins at the Broncos.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Battler
  • Sproj
  • The True King
  • Bucking Beads
  • leon.bott
  • Locky24
  • heartly87
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Jazza
  • theshed
  • Redfern_1980
  • Waynesaurus
  • broncsgoat
  • Fitzy
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.