Broncos - 2015 Discussion

So according to News Corp, we have the -

8th best Fullback (Boyd)
7th best Five-Eighth (Milford)
4th best Halfback (Hunt)
9th best Hooker (McCullough)

Although I don't really agree with a couple of the rankings, to have all 4 of your spine members be in the top 9 in their position in the NRL is a very good base to build a team around, combine that with our awesome pack and damaging centres / wingers and we're looking good for the next few years.

And the exciting thing is that Boyd, Milford and Hunt should all be better players next year too.

And the exciting thing is that Boyd, Milford and Hunt should all be better players next year too.

Absolutely, I don't really expect Hunt to improve out of sight again, but some minor improvements in his game would be awesome, Milford will be great, Boyd will be way better than he was at the Knights.. I'm also hoping that Bennett lights a fire under McCullough's ass with the signings of Waddell & Parcell, he really needs to lift.

Not sure if Milford will have a better season at five eight than he did last year at fullback.

He might, but I certainly don't have the same expectation of improvement from Milford than I do Boyd or even Hunt.

Not sure if Milford will have a better season at five eight than he did last year at fullback.

He might, but I certainly don't have the same expectation of improvement from Milford than I do Boyd or even Hunt.

I definitely expect him to have heap of improvement as a five-eight.

He's already improved 3119237819731289% as a five eight simply by ceasing to be a Raider.

Well guess that means Ricky can claim he left the Raider's a better player now Let's just hope for his sake it doesn't go to his head....Oh wait it's Ricky never mind.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the Courier Mail guys actually watched any league this year. They're also very inconsistent with how they work this power rankings articles they've been doing. Some of the rankings are based on where guys played this year, some based on where they are likely to play next year and some are based on neither.

Thaiday for example was ranked the no.4 lock forward, but i don't recall him playing lock this year, and Bennett has already said Parker will be our lock next year. So, how does Thaiday get ranked in the lock forward category, besides based on his form in 2014, even if he did play lock, he was ranked way too high

4. Sam Thaiday (Broncos)
The favourite to claim the Broncos captaincy for 2015, Thaiday is a workhorse. A leader by example, the 29-year-old is an enforcer. After losing the club captaincy in 2013, Thaiday responded in style with the kind of form which has seen him locked in as a representative player for nine years now. While Thaiday spent the majority of the season in jersey No.13, he could shift into the second-row under the eye of Wayne Bennett, meaning Adam Blair or Corey Parker would fill the void at lock.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ng-lock-forwards/story-fniabjcr-1227137912791

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the Courier Mail guys actually watched any league this year. They're also very inconsistent with how they work this power rankings articles they've been doing. Some of the rankings are based on where guys played this year, some based on where they are likely to play next year and some are based on neither.

Thaiday for example was ranked the no.4 lock forward, but i don't recall him playing lock this year, and Bennett has already said Parker will be our lock next year. So, how does Thaiday get ranked in the lock forward category, besides based on his form in 2014, even if he did play lock, he was ranked way too high

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-power-rankings-we-rank-the-competitions-starting-lock-forwards/story-fniabjcr-

I agree. How do they come up with this rubbish. Even as a Broncos supporter I cant see how he is ranked 4. He doesnt even play lock and wont be playing there next year. Parker >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> .......>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>...>>>>> Thaiday

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ng-lock-forwards/story-fniabjcr-1227137912791

Yeah sorry Sammy but this is a load of crap. Despite the fact he barely played lock this year, currently Sam probably isnt even top 4 forward at the club, let alone the league

They just have to play to their Queensland loving readers that keep them employed I guess. Same goes for the daily telegraph playing to the likes of NSW and Sydney clubs.

Thiaday being ranked 4th is just stupid. He isn't even a lock forward to start with and his form this year was disappointing yet again.

Merrin, Guerra, Fensom, Docker are all better players than Thaiday at the moment, Eastwood arguably is as well. Sam was very luck to be named in the top 10.

These ranking articles keep getting worse and worse. The 5/8th one is living in Afghanistan bad.

Thaiday definitely DID play lock, but you might not remember it because he didn't really do anything there (other than get praised by some people for playing the ball quickly by falling over before hitting the defensive line about 4 times a game)

Some of the others on that list didn't play lock there though. What's the easiest way to spot a NRL newbie? See if they list Glenn Stewart there.

Last edited:
not sure where sammy was named but he was definitely playing lock most of the time on field and was actually quite good defensively. however his running game was worse than qld cup standard. 1 or two a game for under 20m. His ball playing was okay though. often went to 1st receiver to get ben hunt one wider of the ruck.

If you wanted a ball playing lock, you'd just get Joseph Paulo, who is far better at it than Friday.

Probably does more work in general too.

Really liking the idea of Matt Parcell and what he could bring to the side. .

However, straight up, I doubt I'd be throwing him into the fray against a foward pack like souths... Maybe just before the origin period games against weaker teams.. But by the end of the year I'd like to see a full strength side looking like this:

1. Boyd
2. Vidot
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Copley
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. Maguire
9. Macca
10. Blair
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Parcell
15. Garbutt
16. Gavet
17. Gillett
18. Oates

Last edited:

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Midean
  • Horseheadsup
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Scorchie
  • westy316
  • Galah
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • simplythebest
  • Fozz
  • jd87
  • Skathen
  • broncsgoat
  • Battler
  • KateBroncos1812
  • BroncosMan
  • FACTHUNT
  • Wolfie
  • winslow_wong
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.