Broncos' 2019 Trial Dates Confirmed

Go you B grade Broncos team!. Fingers crossed for a live stream, I need a fix this week. So close now.

Go you B grade Broncos team!. Fingers crossed for a live stream, I need a fix this week. So close now.

It has been confirmed that there is no live stream this week. there will be a highlights package though

Trials are always shit. Just can't get excited for them.

I try to get to one trial game per year. I enjoy seeing some of the younger, lesser known players getting a run.
Often useful for those fantasy enthusiasts among us as well to try and get an idea of what the coaches have been working on, in addition to the positional insights.

This year is the Wynnum game for me.

That's the closest you're going to get to a Broncos 2nd XIII. The only exception is Payne Haas who I presume is getting game-time because of his long lay off and inexperience.

Players Missing:
1. Darius Boyd
2. Corey Oates
3. James Roberts
4. Jack Bird
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Anthony Milford
7. Kodi Nikorima
8. Matt Lodge
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Joe Ofahengaue
11. Alex Glenn
12. David Fifita
13. Matt Gillett

14. Kotoni Staggs
15. Tevita Pangai Jr
16. Sam Tagataese
17. Jaydn Su'A

18. Shaun Fensom
19. Sean O'Sullivan
20. George Fai
21. Jordan Kahu
22. Izaia Perese
23. Jordan Riki

Roberts, Kahu, Fifita and Staggs are on All-Stars duty which may explain their absence. I'd presume all of them would have been rested regardless but in the case of Staggs, Fifita or Kahu it may have given them them the opportunity to audition for a position. O'Sullivan's omission confirms his place in the halves pecking order and that he's shadowing Nikorima for that 7 spot. Fensom and Tagataese's omission tells me that they'll be in the mix through out the season and they're currently in that Top 21 squad. I'm confused about George Fai, I presume he's under an injury cloud or he's a lot further down the pecking order that even I could have imagined. Similar story with Perese, either he's injured or he wasn't considered good enough to displace the other train and trial guys for a spot. As for Riki, he was a player who was rumoured to be apart of the development squad, either it was just a rumour or he's injured.

The side itself is pretty much what you'd expect. Dearden over Boyd and Paix confirms how highly the Broncos staff thinks of him. I also think that middle third of Haas, Flegler & Carrigan shows where they are in the pecking order in relation to Mago. Then there's a bunch of Train & Trial/Development confirmations like Jordan Grant, Ethan Bullemor and Xavier Coates. I doubt we'll see any of them any time soon, but it's always nice to get an indication of the sides depth.

As far as the actual trial itself, I'm curious to see how the middle third will play. Haas, Flegler and Carrigan all have serious NRL credentials this season and this will be their first opportunity to impress and advance to the next trial against the Seagulls. The halves situation is another storyline I'm interested in and I'm keen to see if Dearden will justify this level of faith in his first real hit out. I feel like we're only on chapter one of what could be a really long story between those three players, so I'll be keeping tabs.
surely fai plays for Souths Logan in the trial

Are there still 3 trials? Normally there are but for some reason I have a recollection that they scrapped one.

Normally the first trial is exactly like this - fringe players that maybe one or two will play out of their skin and be in contention for a depth spot. They'll be lucky enough to get a run in the 2nd trial.

Second trial includes those mentioned above - Kahu, Tagataese, Mago, etc - to be pitted against each other to see who will jag some bench spots, and the best of the 1st trial will get another run to see if they can repeat their performance. There will also be maybe 5-7 players expected to be in the 17, normally those returning from injury and need to build up match fitness.

The final trial is essentially a warm-up game for the first grade squad, with a few extra depth players.

Pretty sure there are 3. Warwick, I think there is one in a local ground here in Brisbane, then the Titans on the GC.

I'm confused about George Fai, I presume he's under an injury cloud or he's a lot further down the pecking order that even I could have imagined.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/13/the-urgent-mission-to-save-broncos-prop-george-fai/

The mission to save Broncos prop Fai's career

Call it 'Operation George Fai' if you like but the Souths-Logan Magpies and Brisbane Broncos are on a mission to save the career of the powerhouse prop in the next two months.
The Logan Brothers junior, a top 30 Broncos squad member who made his NRL debut in 2017, disappointed Brisbane coaching staff with the poor condition he turned up in at pre-season training.
After subsequently failing to reach the required conditioning targets the off-contract forward has been sent back to train with the Magpies to get himself in shape and has been given until April to hit those marks, a deadline where his future will be on the line.
Fai will take on the Broncos when he lines up for affiliate club Souths-Logan in a trial in Warwick on Saturday night, an opportunity to show that he is making progress.
The 22-year-old is in exactly the right environment to resurrect his career. He's at a club that loves him to death but also demands he looks in the mirror and changes his ways.
"George is one of our own," Souths-Logan CEO Jim McClelland told NRL.com.
"He's a Logan Brothers kid and we’ve had him in development squads since he was 15 years of age. He means something to us and if you talk to him, we mean something to him.
"We are there to kick his arse but we are also there to give him a shoulder to lean on as well. The rest of it is up to him.
"There are some good people over there at the Broncs who are still supporting him and he's got to use all of those resources – from wellbeing right through to dieticians and training.
"Sam Tagataese at the Broncos has had a chat to him and he is close to Patrick Mago. He knows everyone is there for him. He just needs to understand he is an employee and has to go to meet some targets."
The positive for Fai is that he has raw ability and has proven in the past that he can work hard off the field.
He lost eight kilos before making his NRL debut in 2017 and was going great guns in Brisbane pre-season training that year.
McClelland said he was reviewing Fai's Intrust Super Cup statistics from 2018 with Souths-Logan coach Jon Buchanan where he was "the number one or two player for us each week for our last eight games".
"George runs great lines, is quick for a big man and is that Fuifui Moimoi style of player who is so hard to handle," McClelland said.
The lesson the Broncos and Magpies want Fai to learn is that success is a journey not a destination, and that he now has to recalibrate as he tackles the road ahead.
"The pressure is on us as well," McClelland said.
"We have to work with the Broncs on this one and hopefully we can get him back up to those targets in April.
"George has too much talent to give it away and just needs to realise he has to work that bit harder, and I'm pretty hopeful he can do that.
"Every night he has trained with us he's put in an effort and this weekend he will get to run out against the Broncs and hopefully be able to show them that 'hey guys I am worthy of an opportunity'. We really hope he can be resurrected."

Quite disappointed i'm not going to be able to get to watch anywhere near the amount of football i usually do this year.

Quite disappointed i'm not going to be able to get to watch anywhere near the amount of football i usually do this year.
In this day in age of streaming, replays and the like you shouldn't really miss a single game. Unless you're on one sort of NASA mission. Even then they get really good satellite coverage.

In this day in age of streaming, replays and the like you shouldn't really miss a single game. Unless you're on one sort of NASA mission. Even then they get really good satellite coverage.

I'm more talking about the lower grades. I enjoy them, just wont have the time unfortunately.

Unread

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • Porthoz
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Redux
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Johnny92
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Morkel
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Allo
  • Bish
  • NSW stables
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.