Broncos 2020 Squad

If TPJ turned down NSW to play for Tonga, how does work for Offa who played Origin this year, but also played for Tonga the other night?
Offa had to skip the mid year test. TPJ wanted to play it instead of origin.

If TPJ turned down NSW to play for Tonga, how does work for Offa who played Origin this year, but also played for Tonga the other night?

because Ofa didn't turn down QLD.

Tonga is classed as a tier two nation, so he can play for Tonga and Origin if he wants too. although i think if you play origin, then you have to play for Australia if selected (if not selected then you can play for any tier 2 nation you are eligible for)

Is it just me or do we seem to be trying very hard NOT to sign a halfback? Surely we could leave a little money and maybe a spot in the 30 for a backup half, in case the croft/siezer/dce/taylor/every other half in the NRL doesn't pan out.
I'm not talking about a star half, just someone who's been there and done that (preferably playing to the same strategies/set moves of the broncos in their q cup side).
Maybe that's paix in their eyes but he seems less ready than dearden. If dearden struggles we are looking at placing either an absolute rookie in a pressure cooker of a role, or else shift a player out of position (like this year) to fill the spot.
It couldn't hurt to have atleast one q cup or ageing Nrl half as back up, who can fill that role and has the proven abilities to do so. Do we really need another 2nd row/centre type instead?

I'm not talking about a star half, just someone who's been there and done that (preferably playing to the same strategies/set moves of the broncos in their q cup side).

there is no one on the market that fits that description.

in hindsight we should have tried to keep Benji

Sign the next best thing to that then in qld cup/superleague/reserves that can kick and follow a coaches instructions. One of them can manage that surely.

Is it just me or do we seem to be trying very hard NOT to sign a halfback? Surely we could leave a little money and maybe a spot in the 30 for a backup half, in case the croft/siezer/dce/taylor/every other half in the NRL doesn't pan out.
Maybe that's paix in their eyes but he seems less ready than dearden. If dearden struggles we are looking at placing either an absolute rookie in a pressure cooker of a role, or else shift a player out of position (like this year) to fill the spot.
It couldn't hurt to have atleast one q cup or ageing Nrl half as back up, who can fill that role and has the proven abilities to do so. Do we really need another 2nd row/centre type instead?
Apparently we need half a dozen backup outside backs more.

The Foxsports site is showing Alex Glenn in our player losses :eyetwitch:

https://www.broncos.com.au/news/201...GQV1UMjjVFMvN0OjA-L7WNWXLYnm_xHookm2-fO9eoJbk

THE NRL has released the list of the club’s contracted players for 2020 and it underlines the work the Broncos have done in the past 12 months to shore up the talent-rich squad for the future.

In the past 12 months Tevita Pangai junior, Corey Oates, Matt Lodge, Joe Ofahengaue, Jake Turpin, Patrick Carrigan and Richie Kennar have all re-signed new deals for 2020 and beyond.

Speedy outside back Jesse Arthars has signed a deal with the Broncos after establishing himself as an NRL player at the Titans.

The group of young talent at the Broncos has been rewarded, with outside back Xavier Coates and forward Keenan Palasia promoted to the main squad after making their NRL debuts.

Fijian speedster Ilikena Vudoga and utility Jamil Hopoate have also been promoted.

Jordan Kahu will complete the final season of his Broncos’ deal after spending a year with the North Queensland Cowboys.

Gone from the 2019 squad is retiring champion Matt Gillett, while Shaun Fensom and Sam Tagataese have also hung up their boots.

Half Troy Dargan is off to the Rabbitohs, while George Fai, James Segeyaro and Patrick Mago were not re-signed for 2020.

BRONCOS 2020 NRL SQUAD (at November 5, 2019)

Jesse Arthars

Jack Bird

Darius Boyd

Patrick Carrigan

Xavier Coates

Thomas Dearden

Herbie Farnworth

David Fifita

Thomas Flegler

Payne Haas

Jamil Hopoate

Jamayne Isaako

Jordan Kahu

Richie Kennar

Rhys Kennedy

Matthew Lodge

Andrew McCullough

Anthony Milford

Corey Oates

Joe Ofahengaue

Sean O'Sullivan

Cory Paix

Keenan Palasia

Tevita Pangai jnr

Izaia Perese

Gehamat Shibasaki

Kotoni Staggs

Jake Turpin

Ilikena Vudogo

https://www.broncos.com.au/news/201...GQV1UMjjVFMvN0OjA-L7WNWXLYnm_xHookm2-fO9eoJbk

THE NRL has released the list of the club’s contracted players for 2020 and it underlines the work the Broncos have done in the past 12 months to shore up the talent-rich squad for the future.

In the past 12 months Tevita Pangai junior, Corey Oates, Matt Lodge, Joe Ofahengaue, Jake Turpin, Patrick Carrigan and Richie Kennar have all re-signed new deals for 2020 and beyond.

Speedy outside back Jesse Arthars has signed a deal with the Broncos after establishing himself as an NRL player at the Titans.

The group of young talent at the Broncos has been rewarded, with outside back Xavier Coates and forward Keenan Palasia promoted to the main squad after making their NRL debuts.

Fijian speedster Ilikena Vudoga and utility Jamil Hopoate have also been promoted.

Jordan Kahu will complete the final season of his Broncos’ deal after spending a year with the North Queensland Cowboys.

Gone from the 2019 squad is retiring champion Matt Gillett, while Shaun Fensom and Sam Tagataese have also hung up their boots.

Half Troy Dargan is off to the Rabbitohs, while George Fai, James Segeyaro and Patrick Mago were not re-signed for 2020.

BRONCOS 2020 NRL SQUAD (at November 5, 2019)

Jesse Arthars

Jack Bird

Darius Boyd

Patrick Carrigan

Xavier Coates

Thomas Dearden

Herbie Farnworth

David Fifita

Thomas Flegler

Payne Haas

Jamil Hopoate

Jamayne Isaako

Jordan Kahu

Richie Kennar

Rhys Kennedy

Matthew Lodge

Andrew McCullough

Anthony Milford

Corey Oates

Joe Ofahengaue

Sean O'Sullivan

Cory Paix

Keenan Palasia

Tevita Pangai jnr

Izaia Perese

Gehamat Shibasaki

Kotoni Staggs

Jake Turpin

Ilikena Vudogo

Confirmation of a couple of things, 1 year extension for Kennar, Glenn obviously going to be re-signed. That'll be 30/30 once Glenn is on the books, I'm really not sure how we're supposed to bring in Croft unless it's preceded by us releasing Milford or Bird.

Confirmation of a couple of things, 1 year extension for Kennar, Glenn obviously going to be re-signed. That'll be 30/30 once Glenn is on the books, I'm really not sure how we're supposed to bring in Croft unless it's preceded by us releasing Milford or Bird.

Keep telling you guys, it'll be Jack that is gornskies before next season begins, you can count on that happening.

Let's just say a 'little birdy told me" 😉

Last edited:

there is also speculation Hopoate will be heading down to Sydney

we may also be able to drop one of our young kids (Paix maybe) back to the development squad for a second season (which could benefit us, as a player spending 2 seasons in the development list gives us a small cap discount on that player (10% i think)

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • ivanhungryjak
  • MasterWright
  • broncos4life
  • Manofoneway
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Mr Fourex
  • Fitzy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Bucking Beads
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Midean
  • NSW stables
  • scobie
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • lynx000
  • broncsgoat
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.