Broncos 2020 Squad

With the new rule regarding contact with a player in the air I really don't see how Boyd can be effective on the wing. He will get out jumped every time. I would much rather see Kahu on that right wing and boyd back to qcup or left centre with bird in the 14. Kahu has a great jump and safe hands, and ticks the experience box that Siebold is hoping to fill by including Boyd.

Kahu has a great jump?

I agree, our best possible side - dangerous all over the park. My only concern is TPJ's defence in the middle, and whether he would be more effective coming on after 20 mins against a tiring defence. Also, Offa is solid, but offers little impact, unlike TPJ. I'd have Offa in the starting 13.
I'd have Carrigan actually starting.

I'm even leaning towards Offs starting at prop.. with Haas and TPJ benched.

I prefer strike on the bench not plodders.

Offahengue really needs to develop an identity as a forward. He hasn't really got a core quality that shines as part of his abilities.

I'd love to see him become a hard hitting axe defensive player.. ala Dodds that year he was a solid machine, teo etc

We don't actually have anyone in our side who does this anymore. All huggers. . Apart from TPJ.. But from reports, he'll be toning that down this year a bit. His strength will still be the late offload

I really like that team make up.
Obviously I agree that Coates or Farnworth would be better wing options but I'm not against Boyd being out there.

I'm still not sold on Isaako at the back though...
I hope he kills it but I just feel he has a lot to work on this off season and I can honestly see Tesi Niu getting a run with Isaako back to the wing and Boyd dropping out of the team around origin time.
Issako was looking better than niu

Kahu has a great jump?

Maybe he did before both his knees turned into wheat bix.

I don't know if the coaching staff would go for this, but it would be quite easy for TPJ to defend in the 13 and attack on the edge. We just need to work out these little things called "set plays", I hear they can be pretty effective.

Last edited:
Broncos 2nds
  1. Tesi Niu
  2. Xavier Coates
  3. Jesse Arthars
  4. Jordan Kahu
  5. Richie Kennar
  6. Sean O’Sullivan
  7. Thomas Dearden
  8. Rhys Kennedy
  9. Andrew McCullough
  10. Lachlan Timm
  11. Keenan Palasia
  12. Ethan Bullemore
  13. Jamil Hopoate
  14. Cory Paix
  15. Pride Petterson
  16. Lloyd Perrett
  17. Jordan Leigh

• Izaia Perese
  • Herbie Farnworth
  • Illikena Vudogo
  • Sean O’Sullivan
  • Tyson Gamble
  • Kobe Hetherington

Offahengue really needs to develop an identity as a forward. He hasn't really got a core quality that shines as part of his abilities.

I'd love to see him become a hard hitting axe defensive player.. ala Dodds that year he was a solid machine, teo etc

We don't actually have anyone in our side who does this anymore. All huggers. . Apart from TPJ.. But from reports, he'll be toning that down this year a bit. His strength will still be the late offload

I thought one of offas biggest attributes when coming through the ranks was that he has a huge motor. He should be starting to make use of that motor to churn out the metres.

I dont like TPJ at lock. I also agree we need some impact from the bench and i've always thought TPJ would be brilliant for that role, but he looked so good in the back row i think thats his position.

I thought one of offas biggest attributes when coming through the ranks was that he has a huge motor. He should be starting to make use of that motor to churn out the metres.
Big motor but he doesn't do much with it..

Big motor is someone like Haas who has impact, post contact metres, step at the line and can play 80. Big motor is also lodge who slogs it out all game.

Offa is just, meh. He has no shining attributes. . No use in having a big motor of you're just chewing time for. Other guys to come on and tear in.

I dont like TPJ at lock. I also agree we need some impact from the bench and i've always thought TPJ would be brilliant for that role, but he looked so good in the back row i think thats his position.
Haas was also playing for the 2nd team at training a few weeks ago. Unsure what that actually means but yeah

I like Glenn and Fifita starting second row with Offa or Carrigan starting lock. After 25 minutes one of them goes off, Glenn moves to the middle for the rest of the first half and TPJ comes in to the second row. I think Glenn could be a bit of a Dale Finucane type at lock. Solid defensively and a bit quicker and more agile.

Big motor but he doesn't do much with it..

Big motor is someone like Haas who has impact, post contact metres, step at the line and can play 80. Big motor is also lodge who slogs it out all game.

Offa is just, meh. He has no shining attributes. . No use in having a big motor of you're just chewing time for. Other guys to come on and tear in.

I think he has to be one of those work horse type players that just runs and runs and runs. He needs to be given these simple instructions but you’re right, we do have lodge and haas already so it is hard to find a spot for offa. He’s a starting prop or nothing imo.

It seems from reading some of these comments that people are possibly starting to try and overthink our pack.

Offa is a solid bench forward who hopefully can squash the dumb penalties and occasional dropped ball from his game. To win a premiership we don't need a whole team of side stepping, late offloading, tackle busting monsters.
We have those guys in the side already who will help to produce that spark.
Guys like Offa, Flegler, Kennedy, Glenn, Carrigan are the guys who you rely on to make solid tackles and make consistent hit ups each game.

Personally I think our pack should lineup like this.

8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Lodge
11. Fifita
12. Glenn
13. Carrigan/TPJ
14. Paix
15. Flegler
16. Offa
17. TPJ/Carrigan

That will give us some serious go forward and plenty of defensive ability.
I personally like Glenn starting to give that leadership on the field, can easily play 60min and someone like TPJ could move to the edge for the last 20 with the rest of his time in the front row rotation.
Haas and Lodge are proven starting front rowers as shown last year.
Offa and Fleg are solid, no nonsense forwards off the bench.
TPJ gives us that impact and flexibility with injuries. I also like him coming into the front row with 20 to go in the half, he won't need to think as much and all he has to do is run and tackle hard for 40min a game.

Thats my opinion anyway.

id rather fifita and tpj on the edges Glenn and carrigan could rotate in the middle would be a real waste having TPJ in the middle when he could be trucking merkins on the right edge.

Last edited:
Kahu has a great jump?
Yes he does. He had a better one before he did his knees but he's always been a good target for a high attacking kick. He actually had some cracking catches throughout his career. Feel free to peruse the archives.

Kahn on the wing was very good. He only lacked Oates ability to make huge hit ups (understandedly given he's a lot smaller). He constantly puts his body on the line (hence his injury history) and would be a step up on anyone playing there last year (Oates included).
All that said we have younger players coming through and the likes of peruse and Oates should be capable of being first grade quality players this year (or they never will).
If I was running this side we would be starting farnsworth on one wing from round one, along with either Kahu or Boyd (I still see him as value in the centres with his passing) and ability to read the game.
I think this is the year we transition Oates to the second row and depending on his fitness from the preseason, he should either be holding a bench spot or playing in q cup.
It might sound rough given the quality performances he has given us in the past, and is still capable of, but I think we are ideally placed this year to allow him to make that transition and delaying it will hurt us in the long run.
By years end I can see him starting in the pack if the effort is made now.

Who are you replacing on the bench or starting second rowers? Oates isn't going to be better than any of the young forwards.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Allo
  • Bish
  • Foordy
  • Redux
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Behold
  • Porthoz
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Skathen
  • Mr Fourex
  • Accept
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bazza
  • Hurrijo
  • Pablo
  • winslow_wong
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.