Broncos 2020 Squad

Fluff piece. From everything I've seen / read, including the interview today on the Broncos website says he's been training at centre and wing. I don't believe he has trained at fullback at all. He even said his goal is to debut for Broncos sometime this year. He knows he's behind a couple people and will likely need some injuries to get a look in.

I do like his attitude though, but I'd say the plan is for Isaako to be fullback and if he hasn't really secure the pot by June 31st, then Niu will get a shot.

I'm sure he has done some training at fullback ... just like Bird has

and in the article on NRL.com, Seibs is quoted as saying that he is a capable player at wing, fullback, or center.

that being said, I think Isaako will get first shot ... but if he isn't up to the task, then we'll need someone else to step up, which is why the likes of Bird, Arthars and Nui are getting some training in the position during the pre-season

Last edited:
He has been at fullback over the off-season and I still think fullback is his best position. I said this when he was rumoured to sign in June.

If accurate that's not too bad, he was picked as fullback for Residents and pulled out because he made his NRL debut but was having a great year for Bears with Leo. I like him as a fullback not centre.

He caused Dearden all sorts of trouble when Bears played Wynnum early this year.

He would have been a rep fullback if not for the Titans- I would rather play for Queensland to be honest.

He prefers the right hand side and his running this season in the centres is a massive strength, He outplayed Peresse when Bears played Redcliffe. Despite Perese scoring the winner. He destroyed Dearden against Wynnum just put a target on him and Arthars and Leo went berserk.

His running against the Jets was outstanding for two tries, just so strong that's why I think he will be a fullback. Had defenders there and he just gets between them- that's a strength if you're bringing the ball back.

Arthars has great footwork and speed along with tackle busting ability. He could end up being a better option than Isaako at fullback. I have a feeling Arthars has better ball playing ability and general fitness. His body type looks suited to the physical demands of the position in terms of running a lot of km’s.

I won’t be mad if Boyd and Bird miss games throughout the season..

Arthars has great footwork and speed along with tackle busting ability. He could end up being a better option than Isaako at fullback. I have a feeling Arthars has better ball playing ability and general fitness. His body type looks suited to the physical demands of the position in terms of running a lot of km’s.
Yes, I noticed a lot of Titans' fans were mad they lost him. That's a good sign. Same with Storm fans and Croft. Meanwhile, I didn't see any Cowboys' or Broncos' fans gettting getting upset about losting Kahu or Shibasaki.

Yes, I noticed a lot of Titans' fans were mad they lost him. That's a good sign. Same with Storm fans and Croft. Meanwhile, I didn't see any Cowboys' or Broncos' fans gettting getting upset about losting Kahu or Shibasaki.

I didn’t see any Storm fans that were mad about losing Croft. Storm fans don’t get mad about that stuff because they trust Bellamy, and so they should.

I think we’ll be hearing the name Nicho Hynes a lot more over the next couple of years.

Personally I think he’s the best option in the long term for Storm at 7.

1. Papenhuyzen
6. Munster
7. Hynes
9. B. Smith / Harry Grant

I didn’t see any Storm fans that were mad about losing Croft. Storm fans don’t get mad about that stuff because they trust Bellamy, and so they should.

I think we’ll be hearing the name Nicho Hynes a lot more over the next couple of years.

1. Papenhuyzen
6. Munster
7. Hynes

There were quite a few fans unhappy about losing Croft bro, this is not speculation, it is a fact. A quick trip to their boards will show you that and I have quite a few contacts still in Melbourne who are Storm fans and many of them are unhappy.

1. Papenhuyzen
6. Munster
7. Hynes

A 23 year old who has played one game of NRL? If he was that good he'd have a club like the titans throwing Taylor like money at him or at least have some interest. They'll drop off after Smith retires and then when Bellamy leaves a year or two later (to protect his record) they'll be even worse.

The storm can currently get away with playing non-halves/ rookies in the halves at the moment because of how good Smith is. We've seen Munster in rep footy without Smith and it aint pretty.

Last edited:
A 23 year old who has played one game of NRL? If he was that good he'd have a club like the titans throwing Taylor like money at him or at least have some interest. They'll drop off after Smith retires and then when Bellamy leaves a year or two later (to protect his record) they'll be even worse.

The storm can currently get away with playing non-halves/ rookies in the halves at the moment because of how good Smith is. We've seen Munster in rep footy without Smith and it aint pretty.
This crap about Bellamy retiring 'to protect his record' is utterly stupid. Bellamy truly intended to have retired several years ago and spoke often of his desire. He was begged to stay in the game and the incentives offered were massive and in the end, irresistible. Something changed his mind, I don't know what exactly but I'm certain he doesn't give a flying **** about protecting his record. That's a claim from the envious and jealous alike. Personally I don't care for him much but I might like him if I knew him.

Are we still talking about Croft? He's played 40 games of NRL, including a Grand Final.

Nup, he was referring to Nicho Hynes.
Bellamy effed up on this one, he shouldn't have taken Smith's word about Croft.

1. Papenhuyzen
6. Munster
7. Hynes

Have you seen him play? Hynes isnt a half back. Very much a running 5/8 or fullback. Cant see them persisting with another Hughes style 7. With his size i actually think Melbourne may even play him in the centers.

I think we should groom him as a potential fullback option down the road. Seems like he has some brain between his ears.

And a boot on him, wasn't he drafted to be in the Man United junior team?
Maybe we should utilise him for long range 5th tackle kicks.

Last edited:
Watched a match highlights video of a few storm games from last year to see what we are getting in croft.

A few things stood out.
He followed the play all the time something happened. Every line break he was there whether it was the storm or the opposition. Great attribute for a half with a big forward pack who can offoad and tackle busting backs like our team has.
He made things happen when things were on the line. I watched 5 highlights packages and he made the deciding or game breaking play in 3 of them. Maybe just chance but I didn't realise he was even that much of a clinch player. Another thing that stood out that was related to this was c Smith actively avoiding him in these situations. It was blatant and could have cost the storm a few times. Munster can break tackles but when the games on the line against a strong defence you need options, one out tackle busting only rarely works against a good opponent when the opposition knows its your go-too.
His speed, defence, effort areas and pass/run/kick selection were quite good. He seemed to like to play deep, hope this is an option for him here given we don't have c Smith throwing from hooker.
He didn't seem like a talker, in fact, I noticed he seemed to be less vocal as the season games got further along. I know it's just looking from the outside but it actually did appear that Smith ostracised him quite a bit and didn't back him for whatever reason. Whether or not he turns out to be a great half back we need, Bellamy certainly made a mistake dropping him. He won them a few games that they shouldn't have won despite not getting a good run from Smith. Watched a game with Hughes at half after and he was a plodder at halfback. I think cronk turning into a great inflated Bellamys ego a tad regarding his ability to someone into a halfback.
Overall, more impressed by him then I was originally when I wasn't specifically watching him in the games. I still think dearden is the future but if milford doesn't perform he may be the one making way if his price tag doesn't drop.

Watched a match highlights video of a few storm games from last year to see what we are getting in croft.

A few things stood out.
He followed the play all the time something happened. Every line break he was there whether it was the storm or the opposition. Great attribute for a half with a big forward pack who can offoad and tackle busting backs like our team has.
He made things happen when things were on the line. I watched 5 highlights packages and he made the deciding or game breaking play in 3 of them. Maybe just chance but I didn't realise he was even that much of a clinch player. Another thing that stood out that was related to this was c Smith actively avoiding him in these situations. It was blatant and could have cost the storm a few times. Munster can break tackles but when the games on the line against a strong defence you need options, one out tackle busting only rarely works against a good opponent when the opposition knows its your go-too.
His speed, defence, effort areas and pass/run/kick selection were quite good. He seemed to like to play deep, hope this is an option for him here given we don't have c Smith throwing from hooker.
He didn't seem like a talker, in fact, I noticed he seemed to be less vocal as the season games got further along. I know it's just looking from the outside but it actually did appear that Smith ostracised him quite a bit and didn't back him for whatever reason. Whether or not he turns out to be a great half back we need, Bellamy certainly made a mistake dropping him. He won them a few games that they shouldn't have won despite not getting a good run from Smith. Watched a game with Hughes at half after and he was a plodder at halfback. I think cronk turning into a great inflated Bellamys ego a tad regarding his ability to someone into a halfback.
Overall, more impressed by him then I was originally when I wasn't specifically watching him in the games. I still think dearden is the future but if milford doesn't perform he may be the one making way if his price tag doesn't drop.
You lose Milford and swap fromy the issue we had with two running halves and no organiser over to two on the ball organisers and no game breaker.

Same situation.

Allow the cards to lay where they will and when u6t cones time to make that choice, make it then..not now.

Right now we need Croft and Milford to combine.

Dearden's time will come

You lose Milford and swap fromy the issue we had with two running halves and no organiser over to two on the ball organisers and no game breaker.

Same situation.

Allow the cards to lay where they will and when u6t cones time to make that choice, make it then..not now.

Right now we need Croft and Milford to combine.

Dearden's time will come
I completely agree. I wasn't saying or implying a decision should be made now.

However, I think 2 runners and no organisers is very different to 2 organisers who can both run the ball quite well, which they both can. Especially if we have a ball running fullback, which we do.

If nothing else we’ll have a half who wants to be the organiser and will be there to try and capitalize on any linebreak or offload.

Unread

Active Now

• MrRobot
  • Mustafur
  • kman
  • Broncorob
  • Spike
  • pennywisealfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.