NEWS Broncos adapting to ‘intense’ Seibold training sessions.

Seibold says James Roberts looks even quicker up close

Author
Margie McDonaldSenior Reporter
via Email

Broncos coach Anthony Seibold says speedster James Roberts looks even quicker when you're standing in closer proximity with him at training.
"He is indeed very fast and powerful," Seibold told NRL.com. "I'd never met him before coming here but I'm really enjoying working with him."
The new Brisbane mentor said the key for the 2019 Telstra Premiership season was to get the ball in Roberts' hands more often.
"I've had an opportunity sit down with James and have a great chat. Everyone knows the ability and how powerful he is," Seibold said.
"The big challenge for us is to try and give Jimmy a bit more footy.
"He's a real weapon in attack so we need to make sure we give him the chances to do just that."
The 25-year-old scored nine tries in 22 games for the Broncos in 2018.
Roberts made no secret of the fact that when he left the Gold Coast Titans he wanted to link with the Broncos as he believed then coach Wayne Bennett could make him an Origin player.
He made his Blues debut last year with NSW winning the Holden State of Origin series.
"Off the back of him making Origin last year, it's up to him to be that consistent again at club level," Seibold said, having no doubt Roberts has a brilliant career ahead of him.
"I'm seeing that certainly at his training. He's trying to get better and working really hard to do that."
146a2864.jpg

Brisbane Broncos coach Anthony Seibold.©broncos.com.au
Linking with senior players, the representative players like Roberts, along with the explosive pack of up-and-coming forwards has made Seibold's first month at the Broncos an enjoyable one.
"There's plenty of potential here at the club. Our challenge is to bring some consistency to our training sessions; to what we do day-in, day-out," Seibold said.
"Some of the younger players were exposed to first grade last year. The big challenge is still to get that greater consistency in how we prepare.
"We've got that group of senior players who are really experienced like Darius [Boyd], Andrew [McCullough], Alex Glenn and Matt Gillett, who have that wealth of knowledge."
The club can now add Shaun Fensom to that group as the former Cowboy and Raider joined the Brisbane squad earlier this week. He brings 174 NRL matches with him
"Then there's some guys who have played in that middle tier like Lodgie [Matt Lodge], Tevita [Pangai Junior] and Joe Ofahengaue... who are 24 to 25 years of age and then you've got the younger group," Seibold said.
"So it's a good mix of guys and I want to work with them so we can all be as best as we can every single day."

Source: NRL.com

Hope he can talk him into extending.

Source: NRL.com

Hope he can talk him into extending.

Jimmy’s still got a couple of years to go. I think it’ll depend on a) Seibold’s plans for him to be more effective in attack, b) how much money he’ll command and c) if he’s still in Origin and if he feels somewhere else can get him back there if he’s not. If ‘a)’ works, everything else won’t matter

A lot of factors have me worried Roberts could follow Wayne at some stage. Even if it's after 2019, he'd still have a year with him which will help him settle back in to Sydney life and be there for him if he struggles initially.

So there's the Wayne factor.
His ex partner and child are in Sydney I believe.
He made his debut for Souths.
If he doesn't play Origin this year he may think he'll get better exposure in Sydney.

I sincerely hope he doesn't. He's definitely my favourite current Bronco.

Would like to see him returning balls at fullback, however I just don’t think he’s physically up to it. He seems exhausted and hurt after every second run

Would like to see him returning balls at fullback, however I just don’t think he’s physically up to it. He seems exhausted and hurt after every second run

If I recall correctly he injured his achilles quite early on in the season last year and just had to play through it, so that wouldn't have helped much.

"He's a real weapon in attack so we need to make sure we give him the chances to do just that."

Seibold is big on space moving into space, varying your depth and formation to make the most of the space and running games out. Broncos won't lose the last 20 minutes of games.

Souths would still be scoring at the end, running at the end and passing to space with varying depth and their formation would change.

Seibold is big on space moving into space, varying your depth and formation to make the most of the space and running games out. Broncos won't lose the last 20 minutes of games.

Souths would still be scoring at the end, running at the end and passing to space with varying depth and their formation would change.
If AS gets our defence to be as strong as our attack was last year I'll be happy but if he can improve both I'll be over the moon. I want the Bronco's board to be proven right about moving WB along. I hope to get along to at least one of the trials.

If AS gets our defence to be as strong as our attack was last year I'll be happy but if he can improve both I'll be over the moon. I want the Bronco's board to be proven right about moving WB along. I hope to get along to at least one of the trials.

I am easily pleased. I will be over the moon if in our first competition game we are competitive, look like we have had an off-season and that they actually know each other. A rare bonus would be a victory over the Storm, icing on the cake.

I am easily pleased. I will be over the moon if in our first competition game we are competitive, look like we have had an off-season and that they actually know each other. A rare bonus would be a victory over the Storm, icing on the cake.
Yes, I tend to agree and every word is on the money. I know at my age I shouldn't wish the weeks would fly by but I can't help it, I do. No matter my admiration for our former coach I want the new guy to make him look like an anachronism.

I think for so long now our issues has been our depth in attack , hopefully this changes things.

Last edited:
I think for so long now our issues has been our depth in attack , hopefully this changes things.
Last year we were third I think in attack, not sure it's a major problem. Our defence was poor ultimately costing the coach his job. Not a comment on the coach more on the poor defence he was responsible for.

Last year we were third I think in attack, not sure it's a major problem. Our defence was poor ultimately costing the coach his job. Not a comment on the coach more on the poor defence he was responsible for.

you know the said thing ... the Raiders were one of the two teams that had better attack than us (the other being Seibolds mob)

This. Our attack is fine. Not sure how Seibold is going to 'fix' our attack.

Our stats are pretty good in that regard. Broncos and Rabbitohs had the same average amount of points in 2018.

Like most fans though, I'd like to see Roberts involved a bit more but, in a weird way, he is involved. I like the theory that much like Barba when he played for us, just his presence and where he is on the field attracts a lot of attention from opposition defenders, allowing other guys a shot at the try line.

He's proven he only needs a sniff and he's away for 4 points.

Defence is a huge issue. I think people forget how big of a hole Gillett left with his absence. His presence just makes that whole side of the team look better in attack and defence.

Can't wait to have him back.

On a broader note, we've lost a huge amount of experience the last few years. Parker, Hodges, Thaiday, Blair... how many games is that? A thousand?

You can't replace that overnight.

We have the best upcoming talent in the competition but they will be inconsistent until they get experience.

Did we need a new coach or just more experience?

How is our attack fine? In terms of points scored yes it is good, but this is all due to individual brilliance and the fact that in terms of attack we have some of the best individual players in the game.

Our attack in terms of set plays, team shape and structure was pretty awful and definitely needs fixing.

How is our attack fine? In terms of points scored yes it is good, but this is all due to individual brilliance and the fact that in terms of attack we have some of the best individual players in the game.

Our attack in terms of set plays, team shape and structure was pretty awful and definitely needs fixing.

This!! How many times did we start a set in the attacking 20-30 but have no clue how to structure that set

Meh.

Most teams rely on individual brilliance.

Slater, Smith, Latrell Mitchell, Holmes etc...

Defences are so good these days they close down any sort of attacking structure.

It becomes a contest of possession and wearing the defence down with repeat sets, controlling the football etc.

Naturally if Seibold threatens to drop Milford if he ever thinks about kicking it on the third tackle again he'll win me over.

Why do people keep quoting our overall points in attack?

So what? It was inflated due to taking penalty goals whenever we were in range. When it comes to tries scored and strike rate, you start to see a different picture. A picture that isn't as good.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Mister Wright
  • the_next
  • Broncorob
  • broncos4life
  • Rah88
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • broncsgoat
  • Bucking Beads
  • Morkel
  • Jazza
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Fatboy
  • Santa
  • Fitzy
  • MrMoore
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.