NEWS Broncos adapting to ‘intense’ Seibold training sessions.

Why do people keep quoting our overall points in attack?

So what? It was inflated due to taking penalty goals whenever we were in range. When it comes to tries scored and strike rate, you start to see a different picture. A picture that isn't as good.

I'm not. I'm referring to the average points for the season.

We averaged 23 points. The same as Souths. Actually, the Rabbitohs are slightly in front but... y'know, rounding down...

It's probably more accurate than total points scored.

After all, we racked up 50 points against Penrith. Our attack is awesome - Yay!

But then we barely eked out 10 points against the Knights... Boo!

You have to factor in your good days and your bad ones...hence, the average.

I saw a picture of jimmy the jet today on Facebook and I hate to do this but he looked fat. Was it just a bad photo?

Meh.

Most teams rely on individual brilliance.

Slater, Smith, Latrell Mitchell, Holmes etc...

Defences are so good these days they close down any sort of attacking structure.

It becomes a contest of possession and wearing the defence down with repeat sets, controlling the football etc.

Naturally if Seibold threatens to drop Milford if he ever thinks about kicking it on the third tackle again he'll win me over.

Even in the examples you give it makes my point. Those guys are individually brilliant but their teams still have great structure and shape. Those guys can pull something out when needed but it isn’t the be all and end all. Outside of Boyd’s sweep close to the line most of our attack has been throw it to a flat footed jimmy or Milford and pray.

We averaged 23 points. The same as Souths. Actually, the Rabbitohs are slightly in front but... y'know, rounding down...

When everyone plays the same number of games, it makes no difference whether you look at average or total.

Our inconsistency was as bad as our defence. Seibold has his work cut out for him.

I don't give a crap what our attacking average is if we can't score points when it matters. A good attacking side doesn't just put on 50 points against a team who didn't turn up, it breaks down great defensive teams even when plan a, b or c isn't working in a close or important game... Our attack wasn't bad at all last year, our defence is our main issue, but the attack was nowhere near what this side is capable of.. .

Our inconsistency was as bad as our defence. Seibold has his work cut out for him.

As far as I can see, WB hasn't left the roster in great shape. A lot of good young players but one of the worst spines in the competition and some veterans signed for too long on too much money (Boyd, Macca, Gillett) and some guys who desperately need to justify their inflated paychecks (Bird, Milford). Boyd fits into both categories.

IMO Seibold have 2 years grace period. After that, time to bring the trophy back to Brisbane.

You best open a thread in Staff Chat and have a word with me mate.

As far as I can see, WB hasn't left the roster in great shape. A lot of good young players but one of the worst spines in the competition and some veterans signed for too long on too much money (Boyd, Macca, Gillett) and some guys who desperately need to justify their inflated paychecks (Bird, Milford). Boyd fits into both categories.

IMO Seibold have 2 years grace period. After that, time to bring the trophy back to Brisbane.
Opinions about players are obviously subjective and you are entitled to yours but I couldn’t disagree more with your assessment of the roster as a whole. I think we are in great shape overall. There’s been plenty of off seasons in the last decade when pessimism was justified but this isn’t one of them. Your negativity seems to be toxic.

Err, I know you want to blame WB for Trump, worldwide famine and high oil prices but really? WB had SOME say in who he wanted but at the end of the day it was the board who decided contract lengths or at the very least it was a Bronco's employee at the administrative level who implemented and or decided these things.

It was plainly obvious, as you have pointed out that WB was on the outer quite some time ago so you cannot simultaneously blame him for player contract lengths and signings without applauding his skill and contributions in gifting Siebold a great team. The fact we have a stunning roster, widely and universally acclaimed is testament to his skill.

Siebold has said he inherited a great team and every single journalist has echoed that claim. Credit where credit is due. That said it is not perfect as everyone seems to acknowledge but hammering away at WB is not fair without balance.

Opinions about players are obviously subjective and you are entitled to yours but I couldn’t disagree more with your assessment of the roster as a whole. I think we are in great shape overall. There’s been plenty of off seasons in the last decade when pessimism was justified but this isn’t one of them. Your negativity seems to be toxic.
Yes. I should have been more precise. Our roster is good (I wouldn't go so far as to say 'great') but there are some problems with it. 2 excellent running 5/8s and no playmaker in the halves. This IMO is a really big problem.

A fullback who seems to be well passed his best and going downhill rather rapidly. Hopefully the new coach will be able to squeeze a little more out of him.

A hooker who is solid but offers pretty much nothing in attack.

A guy who isn't getting any younger, was injured all last year and is signed on big money for 4 more years. I'll be very interested in how he goes but my feeling is he should have been signed for 2 years max! Specially given the young players coming through who will be competing for his position.

In summary, Seibold has some hard work to do and I think he should be cut some slack for around 2 years.

If that is overly pessimistic for you I apologize but it's just my opinion.

Active Now

• Lozza
  • Johnny92
  • MrRobot
  • Astro
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Wild Horse
  • cento
  • Broncosgirl
  • Aldo
  • Pablo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • ell.d33
  • Xzei
  • Dash
  • Behold
  • BooKhaki
  • Morkel
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.