RUMOUR Broncos After Ivan And Nathan Clearly Report

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
I'm not hyperbolizing when I say there was nothing in his game that didn't look good. He tackled as effectively as most small halves but other than that, his kicking was great, running was sublime, pass selection brilliant and he goal kicks just for something a bit extra. Broncs need to chase this kid, he is the goods, I've never been more impressed in a one off performance like that and I've seen some good ones over the years.

The Warriors were at full strength and while granted, Hiku was defending ala Cartwright but the Panthers attack just looked like they were playing with seasoned halves, didn't miss Cleary or Maloney at all, in fact, looked even better.
He certainly looks the goods, but I have seen more players look fantastic in a 1 off game where everything went their way.
Almost everything he touched turned to gold last night, but his team was continuously over the advantage line and ran 800 meters more than the Warriors, who were diabolical.
I mean, an in form Milford would probably have scored 4 tries on his own against that rabble, and I wonder whether Nikorima wouldn't have looked as good (except for goal kicking), because Luai really did not have to do much kicking or game control...

I prefer to judge a player by multiple games, and see what they're capable off when they're not carried by their team. It's the first time I saw the kid play and I definitely liked what I saw, but I'd rather see more before I jump on the bandwagon.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
He certainly looks the goods, but I have seen more players look fantastic in a 1 off game where everything went their way.
Almost everything he touched turned to gold last night, but his team was continuously over the advantage line and ran 800 meters more than the Warriors, who were diabolical.
I mean, an in form Milford would probably have scored 4 tries on his own against that rabble, and I wonder whether Nikorima wouldn't have looked as good (except for goal kicking), because Luai really did not have to do much kicking or game control...

I prefer to judge a player by multiple games, and see what they're capable off when they're not carried by their team. It's the first time I saw the kid play and I definitely liked what I saw, but I'd rather see more before I jump on the bandwagon.
Yeah I’m getting carried away after one game for sure and wouldn’t be throwing the cheque book at him but I’d certainly be throwing an offer at him that’s reasonable.

Like you said, it was a one off but I saw him earlier in the year against Newcastle (I know, not elite opposition by any means) but he looked pretty much just as good.

Certainly better be some enquiries happening at the very least.

Last edited:

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
well in that case ... Bennett better pick up the phone.

although, if I was the kids manager, I would be making a call to the Broncos, knowing how strong the Panthers halves are and how weak the Broncos halfback is
He's contracted until the end of next seaso?

Last edited:

Kyall

NRL Player
So panthers sacked their coach and Bennett is a possible target and he has said he is open to moving. Now is the time to offer the Clearys the jobs and get them to the club next year.

Morepudding

NRL Player
If Ivan Cleary goes back to the Panthers I have zero respect for him or his son. Gus spat him out and fired him 3 years ago. If he goes back there now, what an absolute spud of a human.

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
So panthers sacked their coach and Bennett is a possible target and he has said he is open to moving. Now is the time to offer the Clearys the jobs and get them to the club next year.
both are under contract and neither will be granted a release

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
Contracts mean absolute dick now days.
people keep saying this, but it is simply not true legally ...

it is only if both parties agree to a release ...

in this case the Tigers have already stated that they will not be releasing Ivan ...

and you can be damn sure that the Panthers will not release Nathan, he would only leave the Panthers to where his father is coaching anyway (which will be the Tigers for the next 2 years)

Last edited:

Kyall

NRL Player

in this case the Tigers have already stated that they will not be releasing Ivan ...

and you can be damn sure that the Panthers will not release Nathan, he would only leave the Panthers to where his father is coaching anyway (which will be the Tigers for the next 2 years)
Well you can believe that but I won’t.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff

Legally, yeah, and in a court of law of course it’ll be upheld. But if the desire to leave is there, and it’s obvious that there is no way they’re hanging around long term, no club will want to hang on to a player or coach who simply does not want to be there. And will likely just drag the club down further if they’re only there under legal obligation.

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
Well you can believe that but I won’t.
look up the term breech of contract ... it'll take about 1 second on google.

Let's use Ivan for example ...

If he decides he no longer wants to coach the Tigers, and does not get released officially (which at this stage is the case, with the Tigers stating he won't get one) ... then it will take the Tigers all of 10 seconds to get an injunction preventing him from coaching any other team until his Tigers contract would have expired (so, for the 2021 season).

Morkel Morkel could be right and they will eventually relent and agree to a release ... but trust me when i tell you, that if it ends up in court Ivan will not stand a chance should he attempt to walk out of his Tigers contract to coach the Panthers, without that release. not to mention that i doubt the NRL would even allow such a scenario to occur.

if you want another example,

SBW walked out of his Bulldogs contract for french rugby union. The Bulldogs went to court and successfully got an injunction to stop him lining up for any other club... it ended up settled with SBW reportedly having to pay the Bulldogs 750k and give an agreement not to play for another NRL club until his contract would have expired.

to believe that legally binding contracts are worthless is just deluding yourself.

In Nathans case, we can't officially even offer him a contract until November 1 (we can talk to him, just not offer him a contract), and that offer would have to be for 2020. we are also not permitted under NRL rules to try and entice him to break his Panthers contract

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter