OFFICIAL Broncos Appoint Troy Thomson as Football Operations Manager to Replace Joe McDermott

So a coach comes in, mentally busted squad for whatever reason and he has a season to fix it or else?

Carn mate...
That is generally the expectation of Brisbane Broncos fans.

They have similar expectations to fans of a Real Madrid or Man U ... Of course the managers of those teams have the benefit of trade windows and no salary cap ... But it is what it is

Kevvie didn’t underachieve in one season. He was sacked because of his performance over 4 years. It wasn’t ruthless, it was inevitable.

Missing top 8 next year would be a massive failure. Demanding top 4 (not saying you are) because we’re bitter about Kev is being irrational.

We don’t know just how badly standards have dropped at the club or what state the culture has been left in. Kev also oversaw terrible roster management post-Ikin, which is another reason he got the ass.

Giving a coach “top 6 in your first season or else” targets leads to decisions that only care about short term success. I think Madge gets 2 seasons, almost no matter what, as should any coach.

My final point is that I think people focus too much on wins/losses and ladder position, without considering how a team plays. As an example, if we have top 4 defence, see obvious structures and significantly reduce errors but lose Reyno and Walsh for most the season then an 8th place can be something worth respecting

Wins and losses are the be all and end all. I’m not going to be an apologist for Maguire. He’s been bought in to take us to finals. If he doesn’t get us there then he’s failed. If we have a top four defense, we’ll be a top 8 side even with injuries and if we make the top 8, his job is safe. We don’t make top 8 his job is not safe. It can’t be any more simple than that.

That is generally the expectation of Brisbane Broncos fans.

They have similar expectations to fans of a Real Madrid or Man U ... Of course the managers of those teams have the benefit of trade windows and no salary cap ... But it is what it is

This side is not coming from the wooden spoon here. We SHOULD expect to make finals, our side made the GF one year ago and the comp is not as stacked talent wise as the EPL. We have all the resources in the world compared to other league teams, we SHOULD expect to make finals.

Wins and losses are the be all and end all. I’m not going to be an apologist for Maguire. He’s been bought in to take us to finals. If he doesn’t get us there then he’s failed. If we have a top four defense, we’ll be a top 8 side even with injuries and if we make the top 8, his job is safe. We don’t make top 8 his job is not safe. It can’t be any more simple than that.
Guys who apologised for Kev at every opportunity all of a sudden have a zero tolerance policy for coaches.

Might be time to start dusting off the old “agenda” tag

Guys who apologised for Kev at every opportunity all of a sudden have a zero tolerance policy for coaches.

Might be time to start dusting off the old “agenda” tag

Why? Because we expect instant success by the coach who has been bought in to have instant success?

This is Reynolds last year, we have to go all in.

Why? Because we expect instant success by the coach who has been bought in to have instant success?

This is Reynolds last year, we have to go all in.
All coaches are brought in with the expectation of instant success.

As much as we all
Kevin Walters wasn’t.

Usually a new coach coming into a wooden spoon team will be given a bit of leeway.
He was still expected to be successful. Just what counted as successful was different.

I’m all for top 8 being the bench mark. It was the bench mark for Kev too. Missing top 8 should put massive pressure on Madge. I don’t think missing top 4 or even top 6 should be seen as an automatic failure. There are too many other important variables

We got him in because the view was Kevvie underachieved with the roster, the board didn’t factor in injuries clearly so it can’t be used as an excuse for Maguire if it happens then either.

Absolute garbage to suggest the board didn't look at injuries as a factor.

It's not a factor when he's underachieved in every single year he has coached a team, except that 1 year he overachieved and got to a spot no one, not even he was expecting.

All they needed to do was look at
- His coaching record
- His useless recruitment
- His awful nepotism hires
- His absolutely shitty public attitude when having it pointed out that he and his team were shit

He was an absolute dud, and I'd be surprised if we ever see him in a head coach role again in his life.

Maguire gets at least 2 seasons for me. Not that he gets a free year next year, I’d expect improvement on this season but expect to finish top 4 or 6 or else we move to the next coach is nuts.

Maybe I’m pessimistic but I think this forum generally overstates our squad…we have a bottom 4 back row, erratic backs, **** all depth across the park, a captain struggling to stay on the field and 4 hookers of which none have cemented themselves as constant NRL quality.

I stand by previous comments that my expectation is a finals win in the next 2 seasons and an improvement in defence/toughness. If we miss finals in 25 and 26 then sure, pitchfork’s out

Absolute garbage to suggest the board didn't look at injuries as a factor.

It's not a factor when he's underachieved in every single year he has coached a team, except that 1 year he overachieved and got to a spot no one, not even he was expecting.

All they needed to do was look at
- His coaching record
- His useless recruitment
- His awful nepotism hires
- His absolutely shitty public attitude when having it pointed out that he and his team were shit

He was an absolute dud, and I'd be surprised if we ever see him in a head coach role again in his life.

I really don't want to start this up again but its a fallacy that he underachieved in every year he was coach. He inherited a wooden spoon team and they improved all the way to a heart breaking grand final. The only year he underachieved was this season and he's been booted for it. Yes, the hires were concerning but until midway through this season, he was looking every bit a coach who was getting it together and projecting as a possible long term Broncos coach.

It went pear shaped very quickly for Kevvie but I'm sick of this rubbish so many make up that he underachieved in his first two year because he didn't make finals. He was coming from a wooden spoon and out of whack salary cap. He did a great job until it all blew up in his face and then wasn't given a chance to fix it, rightly or wrongly.

As for your points, how does Maguire look with these?

- His coaching record
- His recruitment
- His hires
- His public attitude when having it pointed out that he and his team were rubbish (Tigers)

Time will tell but I find it ironic that some of the posters who were pushing Kevvie out the door are now already giving Maguire a free pass if we don't make finals next season.

We are in the Broncos version of Star Wars. Order 66 has happened and now we've all flipped sides.

I really don't want to start this up again but its a fallacy that he underachieved in every year he was coach. He inherited a wooden spoon team and they improved all the way to a heart breaking grand final. The only year he underachieved was this season and he's been booted for it. Yes, the hires were concerning but until midway through this season, he was looking every bit a coach who was getting it together and projecting as a possible long term Broncos coach.

It went pear shaped very quickly for Kevvie but I'm sick of this rubbish so many make up that he underachieved in his first two year because he didn't make finals. He was coming from a wooden spoon and out of whack salary cap. He did a great job until it all blew up in his face and then wasn't given a chance to fix it, rightly or wrongly.

- His coaching record
- His recruitment
- His hires
- His public attitude when having it pointed out that he and his team were rubbish (Tigers)

Time will tell but I find it ironic that some of the posters who were pushing Kevvie out the door are now already giving Maguire a free pass if we don't make finals next season.

We are in the Broncos version of Star Wars. Order 66 has happened and now we've all flipped sides.
Is anyone saying that he has a free pass to miss finals?

- His coaching record
- His recruitment
- His hires

I can agree to disagree on the Keb shit, that's fine. You're not going to change my mind, I won't change yours.

Madge though to answer your points

- His coaching record - Better
- His recruitment - We will see, I bet there is no Sailor like nepotism at play
- His hires - His new football manager or whatever he is shows he's off to a flying start here
- His public attitude when having it pointed out that he and his team were rubbish - He didn't blame everyone else before blaming his own team, their attitude on the field, and their desire to win matches. You never left a presser thinking he wasn't going to use that baseball bat and beat the **** out of his team for another bad performance. He also actually has some credentials in this sport and is able to bite back sometimes like a good coach would. Kev always looked like a whingy little bitch when he did it.

Additional -

2014 he was able to actually WIN a grand final. Not just have his captain coached team make it to one.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Ejbroncos
  • Behind enemy lines
  • BroncosAlways
  • theshed
  • Scorchie
  • Sproj
  • Yellowfella
  • bert_lifts
  • Old Mate
  • Redfern_1980
  • OnToSomething
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Financeguy
  • heartly87
  • vertigo
  • RodF
  • KevieBurnerAccount
  • FACTHUNT
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.