NEWS Broncos captain Darius Boyd could lose role as Paul White endorses Matt Lodge

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
Broncos captain Darius Boyd could lose role
as Paul White endorses Matt Lodge

Peter Badel,
The Courier-Mail
November 8, 2019 6:41pm

Brisbane skipper Darius Boyd has received no guarantees he will retain the club captaincy as Broncos chief executive Paul White lauded the leadership potential of controversial prop Matt Lodge. Boyd will launch his pre-season next week with no definitive indication of whether he will captain the Broncos in 2020 as coach Anthony Seibold prepares to use the summer months to gauge the credentials of his prospective leaders.

While Seibold gave Boyd some candid feedback during one-on-one player reviews last month, the pair did not specifically discuss the captaincy and whether the former Maroons ace would be stripped of top-dog status at Red Hill.

Darius Boyd’s captaincy is under threat in 2020. Picture: Ian Hitchcock

Darius Boyd’s captaincy is under threat in 2020. Picture: Ian Hitchcock

There is a push for Lodge to usurp Boyd as Broncos captain next season, but it is understood Brisbane hierarchy are unlikely to take that risk, mindful of the potential backlash following the prop’s infamous New York rampage in 2015. White was the heavy-hitter who rubber-stamped Boyd’s appointment as captain in 2017, but when asked on Friday if the 317-game veteran would retain the post in 2020, the Broncos boss was noncommittal.

“My relationship with Darius is very strong,” White said. “I am close to Darius, he has been a great supporter of mine and he would say I have supported him strongly as well in his leadership role. “But it’s not about personal opinions with leadership, it’s a collective decision for the club and it needs to be the right decision that delivers the best results.

Matt Lodge looms as a potential successor to Boyd. Picture: Dan Peled

Matt Lodge looms as a potential successor to Boyd. Picture: Dan Peled

“My relationship with Darius is unquestioned, I think he has been a great servant of our club. I see what he does on and off the field and I will continue to support him.”

Asked if the Broncos will consider a possible co-captaincy model to ease the strain on Boyd, White said: “That will be a decision that many people will have some input in. “First and foremost, our coach, but certainly myself and the board, will have some input on this. “There are many models of captaincy and our leadership group is incredibly important to the club and we will have a heavy focus on that leadership group in the off-season. “That should give us a good insight into who will lead our club (in 2020).”

Internally, Lodge is highly respected as a leader among Broncos players.

Broncos boss Paul White continues to praise Lodge. Picture: Dan Peled

Broncos boss Paul White continues to praise Lodge. Picture: Dan Peled

The 24-year-old will have a beefed-up role in Brisbane’s leadership group next season and while White commended the prop for his on-and-off field maturation, he stopped short of saying Lodge will be installed as captain.

“Matt has got leadership qualities,” he said. “I won’t reignite the debate that Matt is going to be our captain because Darius is our captain and we will make decisions on the leadership of the club during the pre-season. “Matt has been a remarkable story for our club. He has absolutely turned his life around. He is a natural leader both in the dressing room and off the field.
“He has unique qualities. He is extremely committed to his team and his club and the good thing with ‘Lodgey’ is he desperately wants success. He wants to win comps and that’s the overriding thing I would say about Matt ... is that he’s a winner and he wants to win.”

Asked about Lodge’s reputation in the eyes of the public, White said: “I’m acutely aware of Matt’s situation because we have lived it, I have lived it. “Throughout that period, I have come to learn about Matt and his family. I know the young man that is at our club now is very different to the young man of say four or five years ago who got himself into that situation (arrested by police in New York). “I’d sooner highlight what he has done for us. He commits to everything he does for our club. There is no-one who commits more to the community in our playing group than Matt Lodge. “He understands he has to build his brand and hopefully in the fullness of time people see it for what it is.”

Last edited:

ostin86

QCup Player
This article certainly does not fill me with hope for next season. Personally I would prefer to not have Lodge as Captain but even more than that, i don't want Boyd anywhere near our footy team.

Unfortunately it seems like at least one of these situations is likely to happen.

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Captain
Whites entire tenure has been about PR preservation. The drama and split with Bennett has clearly sent him round the twist. The board should not be interfering in football department decisions period. It does nothing but send a message that you have no more trust in your own choice.

Last edited:

BroncsFan

NRL Player
I think if a VC and/or co-captain is named during the preseason it will be pretty telling on Darius prospects for being in the 17

You start naming a VC when you know the captain won't be on the field... if a co-captain is named you can call curtains on Darius' career

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
Paul White calls Anthony Seibold in to the board meeting

Paul White: Ok Anthony, the time has come, who do you think should lead this great club in 2020 and beyond?

Anthony Seibold: I think Matt Lodge should be captain, he's the best man for the job.

Paul White: Interesting, thank you so much for your input Anthony, we genuinely appreciate and respect your opinion, have a good day, we'll be in touch.

Anthony begins to walk away

Out of the shadows, a dark figure enters the light

Karl Morris: Anthony.

A cold shiver runs down Anthony's spine

Karl Morris: While you're here, we're pleased to announce that Darius Boyd will be captain and the starting Fullback for next season and 2021, can you please inform the playing group of your decision.

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
I've kind of changed my tune on Boyd to a certain extent in the last day or so. He is definatley being looked after by the Broncos, but there is no directive to pick him. He can actually count his lucky stars he has Seibold as a coach.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
I don't like what the club has become and the idiotic decisions made over the last few years and have been pretty vocal about that BUT in this instance, I think it is actually good that the board has a say in who is captain, so long as it does not extend beyond that.

The captain becomes the face of the club and is involved in so much PR, you need to have someone who leads both on and off the field. This affects business attraction, sponsorship and community perception.

NSW stables

QCup Player
The board and management's increasing interest in influencing the team and team related decisions could definitely explain the souring of the relationship between white and WB.

Perhaps also why they went for seibold. He is perhaps someone they could have a greater influence on? If you think about the other candidates, demetriou and walters are familiar with previous bronco board and coach relationship and would have wanted the same oversight than WB, and macguire is old school and not to be messed with. I am not saying that is they way it is, but a possibility?

winslow_wong

State of Origin Captain
bris
You can write off 2020 if his shifted back to fullback or remains at 5/8th.
Where else will they put him? They don’t have the balls or the permission to drop him. You can’t put him at centres without moving our best centres. He’s way too slow and lacks mobility for the wing. We have that already in Oates but at least he’ll make metres.

They definitely will see him as a full back or 5/8th.

Cult3

State of Origin Captain
Where else will they put him? They don’t have the balls or the permission to drop him. You can’t put him at centres without moving our best centres. He’s way too slow and lacks mobility for the wing. We have that already in Oates but at least he’ll make metres.

They definitely will see him as a full back or 5/8th.
Both of our best centres should be given a shot at fullback throughout the year. Boyd can cover their spots if Isaako turns back into kicking Maranta and Bird or Staggs need to be moved back

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter