NEWS Broncos captain Darius Boyd says he’ll quit NRL if hamstring issues continue

I actually wonder if this is truely master plan of WB to sign him to a long high wage contract, so Boyd can retire early with money in his pocket and the team doesn’t suffer either.

Has anyone seen much of Corey Allan? I haven't seen much of him but seems like he has a lot of talent from everything I've read about him. Assuming Oates moves on at the end of the year to chase the dollars of a backrower, it would be good to give Allan a spot on the wing to get him ready for the rigours of NRL and then transition to fullback. Would hate to lose another talented junior to the Titans.

I think it's an honourable and honest thing Boyd has done here. As a fan I've been concerned for some time that his hamstrings and the long term contract are troubling circumstances. If he retires it will all go away. It doesn't matter if we don't have instant cover for the role while in no way am I under valuing the position. I think we overcome any short term problem even if there's some pain.

I actually wonder if this is truely master plan of WB to sign him to a long high wage contract, so Boyd can retire early with money in his pocket and the team doesn’t suffer either.
In the meantime we lose a stack of talented kids because we have no cap left

In the meantime we lose a stack of talented kids because we have no cap left
If he retires I'm certain he won't be paid for the contracts length. It will minimal to no impact on our capacity to pay some up and coming players.

If he retires I'm certain he won't be paid for the contracts length. It will minimal to no impact on our capacity to pay some up and coming players.
What about while he's still playing? We're paying top dollar for someone who is busted

I think it's an honourable and honest thing Boyd has done here. As a fan I've been concerned for some time that his hamstrings and the long term contract are troubling circumstances. If he retires it will all go away. It doesn't matter if we don't have instant cover for the role while in no way am I under valuing the position. I think we overcome any short term problem even if there's some pain.

+1 for me. He has gone up in standing with me, it shows good self-awareness and also putting the team first if he does it. He has looked for a little while that he is not really enjoying his football, whether that is all related to his injury difficulties, I don't know.

It might sound crazy, but Izzy Folau is apparently sniffing around a return to the NRL.

1. Isaako
2. Kahu
3. Roberts
4. Bird
5. Folau

How about that for a backline

OR

4. Opacic
7. Bird

14. Nikorima

Why waste Izzy on the wing ? Guy is player of the year several years running at full back in the Wallabies. Can beat a man / pass / kick .

Hamstrings are deadset nightmare to manage when you get tear on tear. I don't know which segment of hammy group he ripped last year, but if he managed to double up on the same segment in the semis, there's a huge risk in the future.

Its his achilles he snapped a cpl of seasons back that is the root of the problem . Has caused his hammy to be weakened . Wont be surprised if this is his last year .
Trying to soldier on when not fit was embarassing at the end of last year .

This is where there's a good argument for performance enhancing drugs. Smash some stem cells in there and let him have at the testosterone, HGH, steroids and anything else he needs to heal his leg.

I did my hammy at age 20. I had 6 wks off. Did it again on return but worse. 12 wks off.Took a long time to get to a point were i didn't have pain in it after a game. I play prop, at the time i was playing under 20s for the falcons. Ended up playing local footy and did it 2 more times. Confidence shot to shit i played A grade off and on over the years. Finally started using skins compression shorts and have not had an issue. 31 years old and still playing reserve grade. It must be hell on a professional footballer. I don't know why these guys don't have compression gear on post a hamstring injury. That goes for tpj also.

I did my hammy at age 20. I had 6 wks off. Did it again on return but worse. 12 wks off.Took a long time to get to a point were i didn't have pain in it after a game. I play prop, at the time i was playing under 20s for the falcons. Ended up playing local footy and did it 2 more times. Confidence shot to shit i played A grade off and on over the years. Finally started using skins compression shorts and have not had an issue. 31 years old and still playing reserve grade. It must be hell on a professional footballer. I don't know why these guys don't have compression gear on post a hamstring injury. That goes for tpj also.

Comp shorts really work for nerve related tears unfortunately.

Last edited:
We really dont have a single top class fullback outside of Boyd. We have players who can play fullback, they arent top class in that position though. Lets be honest, Issako has been a revelation with his kicking, but has only been solid on the wing. Allan, if he is still remaining with us has really got to step up big time. Bird i dont think is going to be dropped back to the number one shirt. Kahu again isnt going to be a long term fullback either with his constant injuries. I'd love to know who we have thats top class outside of Boyd ( if he gets himself full fit ) because i just dont see anyone.

Milford. Was a top 5 fullback at 19. Add better ball playing (limited as it is he would of come on if he takes Lockys help), maturity and some training by Boyd in organising a defence he would be easily top class and threaten for the Qld fullback next year if slater retires. Likely much better option than Holmes (a winger only). Bird to 5/8 in short term (don’t mind Bird at fullback but he’d need to get real fit real soon but so would Milford).

Use the spare cash to make a play for a more traditional halfback. Biggest problem is who and for how much in current market stupidity for anyone who can throw a 7 on their back. Wouldn’t have to be a superstar necessarily just just someone who can organise a bit, kick reasonably and know when to get out of the way or give the ball to Milf, Bird, Roberts and so forth also not slow as or inhibiting as Wallace who tried but just seemed to be half a step short being a help to the attack. Could partner Kodi who would be a good 5/8 long term option and Bird goes to lock. Or if Kodi doesn’t flourish then can use him as bench hooker and keep Bird at 5/8. If get a half who isn’t too dynamic at right price and Kodi stays at 6 could use spare money to buy a spare running hooker/backrow for depth and to give McCullough a break or play tandem so he doesn’t get too exhausted to actually attack.

Active Now

• Wild Horse
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.