NEWS Broncos captain Darius Boyd says he’ll quit NRL if hamstring issues continue

We don't exactly have anyone shooting their hand up to succeed Boyd as captain. Is Macca next in line?

So is Folau's contract in union up? Generally about the time he starts 'sniffing' around league once again.

Yet you were defending Kodi earlier as our halfback??? Short memory? Quick to change the tide?

Absolutely. What is your point here? Do you see Nikorima having an injury issue and putting up his hand ready to retire if it doesn’t improve?

The big question is
How long does he continue to play in the year if he doesn’t improve ?
2 weeks ? , 6 weeks ? Who knows

He could be considered a running five-eight in a team where the halfback and hooker do the vast majority of the half work (I.e Smith/Cronk) but most of his natural talents - broken play stepping, support play, interjecting in attacking line for impact are fullback skills.

'cept you've conveniently failed to mention the defensive skills needed at fullback.....which in Milford's case, were Ben Barba-esk. i.e shit.

Milford is a 6.

Boyd would make a pretty good centre for Broncos. He is not the full back we need and he definately isn't a captain, he can barely lift himself let alone a whole team. He dosent communicate with the refs at all, he just puts his arms up complaining, staring at the ref with an entitled smile like he knows best (which usually slows down our attacking play or slows his return to his FB position). It has to be Bennett legitimately thinks there is no one better to do the job or he is playing favourites with his 'long lost son', hopefully its the former.

The only motivating Boyd does is occasionally he'll get into dummy half and clap his hands to encourage a quicker play the ball.

'cept you've conveniently failed to mention the defensive skills needed at fullback.....which in Milford's case, were Ben Barba-esk. i.e shit.

Milford is a 6.

When he was 19! Very few under 20s can reliably defend. He reads a game well he just can’t translate it as an organisational half. Sitting back from the line gives him a chance to view the big picture without big dudes running at him regularly. I think if he has the right attitude would do well organising at the back with a bit of mentoring. He can also lean up a little get his speed back but good thing of the last couple of years should have strengthened his defence a bit for last line and his ball playing.

As for the inevitable Boyd defence argument. Guy is out of position and unable to get to the ball more often than not with his leg. When he gets there he can’t pivot or get momentum to bring it back well usually costing meters. Boyd when fit and in form years end of 15 and bits of 16 was best defensive fullback in comp. But was slipping even before the leg went.

One of Broncs biggest issues is letting players get away with waiting to fulfil their potential or trying to reclaim past glories. While can’t a d shouldn’t sack everyone for a bad game. If u have one good game a month and then keep doing it for a season or two u can’t keep saying consistency or form will come. Or if injured u don’t play yourself into fitness or play injured because you are too vital to the team unless u are an immortal in waiting aka Darren Lockyer. Boyd isn’t in that class and if u must play him don’t play him in the most exposed position. Hodges showed signs of superstardom at fullback but kept him at centre because his body couldn’t handle it.

Can't Boyd just be rested until he is 100% or closer to 100%? - even it if takes 6-8 weeks. Having him out there going 70% is not beneficial to the team imo.

If Boyd is cooked just chuck Bird into the spine. That said, he probably can’t play fb given how he’s eaten in the off-season in order to play 13. I wouldn’t be against giving Bird and Macca the dual captaincy given how livid they were at our performance last night.

If Boyd is cooked just chuck Bird into the spine. That said, he probably can’t play fb given how he’s eaten in the off-season in order to play 13. I wouldn’t be against giving Bird and Macca the dual captaincy given how livid they were at our performance last night.

I'd be even keen to try Roberts at fullback if bird isn't fit enough yet. Not sure how Roberts goes at ball playing but his kick returns would be electric and could potentially rival that of RTS.

I’m a bird to fullback guy. Let Boyd hobble around in the centres for a while if he has to have a spot in the team, Niko to the bench and some other **** to come in at halfback.

Active Now

• Redux
  • winslow_wong
  • lynx000
  • Bish
  • LittleDavey
  • Wolfie
  • bb_gun
  • Harry Sack
  • Waynesaurus
  • Foordy
  • Volvo Driver
  • broncos4life
  • Galah
  • jd87
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncoscope
  • Bucking Beads
  • TimWhatley
  • TonyTheJugoslav
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.